• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what irons to try?

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I'm scheduled for an iron fitting late next week. I'm going to try and hit several demo clubs ahead of the fitting to get a feel for them before going in.

I hit my 7 iron 155 yards and my miss is a slice. I'm pretty good from 6 on down but inconsistent with my 4 and 5. My iron play is much stronger than my driver play.

I hit the Callaways at a demo day over the weekend. I really like the X-22 Tours but they are probably too demanding for my skill set. I think the reason I liked them so much was because they had the Project X 5.5 shaft in them. I want to try the regular X-22 with that shaft, although I don't really like the look of the regular X-22.

The clubs I currently want to try:
Ping G 10
Callaway X-22
Taylormade R7 and Burner
Cleveland CG-7
Titelest AP-1--may be too demanding for me

What am I missing?

I definitely want to try the Project X shafts again it felt so good in that X-22 Tour. Are there any other shafts to make sure the fitter tries out?

Thanks,
DH <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1650966-->
<!-- THE POST -->

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Try them all...anything and everything you can get your hands on.

No one head will work for any particular swing/person. So its quite difficult to predict what will work best.

Honestly if the place has them, try them.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If you have trouble with the long irons, join the club of millions. Believe me, you're not alone.

A hybrid is a possibility. They're alot easier to hit straight and out of trouble (long grass, etc.) Adams comes to mind when thinking of hybrid iron sets. They're usually 3 and 4 iron hybrid and 5-PW are progressive CB /MB.

You can also custom order just about anything for a set. So, if you want a hybrid in a Callaway and only the 5-PW irons, then do that.

Don't get hung up on PX shafts either. If your swing works with something else, use it.

R35

OP
D

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Thanks, I'll try to keep an open mind.

I currently bag a 3 hybrid but I don't really like it. It doesn't give me any feedback. Good and bad shots all feel the same.

I've heard the FT hybrids are more responsive so I'd like to try those.

DH

🔥 Latest posts