• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is it with old peopel and hitting it far?

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
What is it with old people and hitting it far?,

First tee, par 5, about a 60 year old in front of use with a really slow swing, never the less hit it a ton!. How do they actually do that, is it down to technique?

*Sorry about the spelling mistake in the title i typed to fast, meant people

the hummer

Leftygolfer
Nov 9, 2005
Wheelerm said:
What is it with old people and hitting it far?,

First tee, par 5, about a 60 year old in front of use with a really slow swing, never the less hit it a ton!. How do they actually do that, is it down to technique?

*Sorry about the spelling mistake in the title i typed to fast, meant people

Definitely technique...and a little bit of experience, know how and technology. This older fellow has probably been playing for years. Maybe was and still is a low to mid handicap. Mostly likely also upgraded the driver and shaft to fit his swing.

I know because I play with a couple of guys who are retired, sneaky long and can really play.

Whatever you do, don't take them too lightly when playing for money.

OP
Wheelerm

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
Lol i dont have any money to use so im alrigh lol =D

golfgalz

Nov 12, 2005
there is this old guy at my club and he only has one leg.
he holds himself up with stick in one hand and plays golf with one hand basically. he hits it straight every time

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Sunday I was at the range trying to learn how to hit my driver. The guy next to me was even older than me :D ; looked to be about 60, about my size, and he was hitting the most beautiful high draw with his 3wood, about 190 yards. And repeatable, one right after another, exactly the same height, draw, and landing all very near to one another.

After a while, we both took a breather and started chatting. He was a nice guy, as most golfers are. The clubs he was using were custom made, but about 12 years old, and he said he was just starting back after a layoff. I used my standard "just started playing a few months ago" excuse.

I offered to let him hit my Hogan C455 3wood, and on the first swing he hit the same type of high draw, only 10 yards further than with his club. My first thought was "how the heck did he do that?" since I always hit a fade with this club.

This Indian needs more practice.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
At my golf club, there are some members of the Society of One-armed golfers. These guys only ave one arm, and can hit the ball miles. I can outdrive them, but that's cause I'm long off the tee.

OP
Wheelerm

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Sunday I was at the range trying to learn how to hit my driver. The guy next to me was even older than me :D ; looked to be about 60, about my size, and he was hitting the most beautiful high draw with his 3wood, about 190 yards. And repeatable, one right after another, exactly the same height, draw, and landing all very near to one another.

After a while, we both took a breather and started chatting. He was a nice guy, as most golfers are. The clubs he was using were custom made, but about 12 years old, and he said he was just starting back after a layoff. I used my standard "just started playing a few months ago" excuse.

I offered to let him hit my Hogan C455 3wood, and on the first swing he hit the same type of high draw, only 10 yards further than with his club. My first thought was "how the heck did he do that?" since I always hit a fade with this club.

This Indian needs more practice.

Lol i can imagine, "only just started playing the game" lol!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Well, I just got back from my first launch monitor session. Now I know why I don't hit it long: Clubhead speed with my Hogan CS-3 driver is 82 mph.

OK, now that you have hopefully stopped laughing, I hit another driver with a much lighter (45gm) shaft and got the speed up to 86 mph.

Still a long way from Tigerland. Time to start working out. And we also decided to shorten the driver 1" to start. Will pick it up Friday.

Shot data with Hogan CS-3, 10.5 degree, Aldila regular flex:
Ball speed 115mph
Clubhead speed 82mph
Launch angle 17.8 degrees
Backspin 2678 rpm
Sidespin 49 rpm
Distance 202 yards
Swing path -1 degrees
Face angle -3.7 degrees
Azimuth -3.8 degrees
Flight time 5.9 sec
Max height 28.2 yards
Offline -11.8 yards

Comments welcomed, I think.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
220 down on the fairway is playing decent golf.20 yrs ago,that would have been a decent drive for a single figure golfer!

seriously,distance is all about hand speed,and hand speed comes from timing,and timing comes from great rythym and tempo.Many players hit the ball farther when they swing slower because they generate more power from storing up speed by timing the hands,hips, and arms.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
distance is all about hand speed,and hand speed comes from timing,and timing comes from great rythym and tempo

Then I've seriously got to work on all those things. I'm embarassed by that clubhead speed.

The shop had a video camera to my right to capture down the line shots. I thought my swing mostly looked good, but some serious flaws did show up with this view: back bowed not straight, chin too low, and too flat a swing with my driver (hopefully to be corrected by shortening it).

I have never seen myself with this view (I have only set up my camera for a frontal view), so these will be some things to work on.

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
This is one of the threads that made me join ShotTalk. I was so interested because I may be considered "old" at 55 and I think that I hit it a fairly long way for a guy who is Mike Weir size [and a lefty]. My driver (TM r-5) gives me a distance of 250-270 consistently [and once going 330 this year at the driving range] and my 3-wood travels 240.

To my knowledge, my distance is attributed to technology, timing and leverage ... with an accent on that last one. Body leverage has given me a tremendous amount of success in many sports (pitching, hockey, track and even football) and I think it has a tremendous amount to do with Golf!

Being flexible enough to pull it off counts for something too!:cool:

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Having a background in sports helps immensely in golf.
After all, golf has a huge part of hand-eye coordination.
Then there's technique, rhythm, tempo, and psychology....

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
Loop said:
Having a background in sports helps immensely in golf.
After all, golf has a huge part of hand-eye coordination.
Then there's technique, rhythm, tempo, and psychology....

I can really see the "rhythm" and "eye-hand" working in my case. And after some thought about it, I think that my ability [as an artist] to envision the whole scenario - the club, ball, shot, moment of contact, swing - gives me an advantage too. I've fixed my own natural slice and those of others by being able to picture the precise moment of contact [in my mind] in accordance with the address.

I believe all of this helps in obtaining better distance and accuracy!:canadafla :D

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Well, I just got back from my first launch monitor session. Now I know why I don't hit it long: Clubhead speed with my Hogan CS-3 driver is 82 mph.

OK, now that you have hopefully stopped laughing, I hit another driver with a much lighter (45gm) shaft and got the speed up to 86 mph.

Still a long way from Tigerland. Time to start working out. And we also decided to shorten the driver 1" to start. Will pick it up Friday.

Comments welcomed, I think.

Those aren't bad numbers but there are some simple things you can do that won't set you back a bunch of money.

First thing I'd do is go purchase Pilates for Golf. Now that you have all stopped laughing in about a month of using it 4 times a week I gained a solid 10-12 mph of club head speed. Of course I do recommend doing it in a private room as some of the moves look indescent.

You can also lift a small weight while you watch TV at night, concentrating on your wrists and forearms.

A lighter shaft may help although as your swin improves it may cause some accuracy problems. It looks like from your launch monitor numbers that you have the correct loft, and probably shaft bend point.

Another thing that will help is range time. If you can try and hit the range atleast 3 times a week.

The final thing is swing to completion. I see alot of people that don't complete their swing. If you notice folks like Tiger Woods and Michelle Wie follow all the way through. Try and concentrate on getting your hands to the opposite position they were in whe you were at the top of you back swing as soon as you can.

🔥 Latest posts