• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is longest most forgiving driver in 2011?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK, so as an incentive during my rehab, I'm planning to splash out on a new driver to drive me back to playing. Here is my short list:

Ping G15
TM Burner Superfast 2.0
TM R11
Titty D2
Callaway FT Tour
Callaway FT iZ
CAllaway Razr Hawk
Nike VR Pro
Nike Sq Machspeed

and what is the best shaft to match? I am a swinger rather than hitter, swing speed approx. 97mph. I hit it normally 240-250 yards with a mid flight trajectory.

I know, I know - I need to test out, but given my condition, and lack of access to demo equipment, I'm going to take some advice here. Thanks.

Any good sites of any of this equipmemnt tested on an Iron Byron?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I'm convinced that the COR on all new driver heads is the same, or really close. There might be a slight difference in COR between heads on off center hits. So I suggest you pick one that looks good at address. As far as shafts go, I like Diamana and Precision Project X isn't bad either. I feel like I'm a swinger, rather than a hitter too, although that's subjective because I have a fast swing speed. I recommend that you try out as many shafts as possible before you drop $400. Just my opinion.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I wouldn't touch the Callaway line right now. I don't think they even know what's the difference between their own drivers these days.

The Nike Matchspeed is quite forgiving, but it has the worst sound since the old Sumo SQ. ITs loud, metallic and clinky. Ugly as his predecessor the Dymo2 If you don't mind, that might be your club.

TM R11 is for the the worst looking driver there has been. If you want to try TM, why not try an "old" Superdeep?

If it was my choice, I'd go between the D2 and the G15, and would most surely put my money in the last one for sure....

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I think the G15 would be hard to beat. Have hardly heard a bad word about it. You could also try the VR Pro with a px shaft. I have the VR Tour with that shaft & like it a lot.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I was at Dick's this weekend and looked at the new R11. Pretty nice. And they made the adjustments so simple even I understood them. And the comment about Callaway is correct. Why they are ending the FT line is beyond me. I have no idea what replaces it.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I was at Dick's this weekend and looked at the new R11. Pretty nice. And they made the adjustments so simple even I understood them. And the comment about Callaway is correct. Why they are ending the FT line is beyond me. I have no idea what replaces it.

I think Callaway's new bad boy is going to be the RAZR Hawk. Looks to me it might be a cross between the FT Tour and the FT-9.

Stratokatsu

Jan 31, 2011
I just got a PING G15 driver last week and gained about 10 yards over my Titleist 907 D2 driver. Both are the same swing weight, so there must be something to the technology. I don't know if it would be the longest among all you mentioned, but besides being longer for me, the PING feels really good.

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
I think it depend on how the driver sets up for you and which way you normally work the ball. I have to say the FT Tour is a life saver for me, no more snap hook, I now hit it with a slight push fade and my swing speed is similar to yours around 105, I am carrying it around 250 in the cold and damp at sea level here in Vancouver B.C. Canada, can't wait for summer to roll around to see how far it really goes. I picked mine up at Golf Town, Boxing day sale demo's were only $125.00 Canadian, mine is a 9.5 with VooDoo stiff SVS6

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I think Callaway's new bad boy is going to be the RAZR Hawk. Looks to me it might be a cross between the FT Tour and the FT-9.

You're wrong! Its a cross between Megatron and Optimus Prime! :D

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Superdeep is da bomb bud, older Adams line Speedline and 9032ls are actually da chronic and GEEK is like Tai stick (special kinda buzz).

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
For your game IG it's all about confidence at address.

I'd recommend something traditional. I hit everything last year, and bought the i15. It's a great looking stick and deep. You might not like the lower launch of it.

If I were you I would look at either a 909 or 910 D2 or something from the Adams Speedline series.

The Nike stuff is actually quite good also - I really liked the VR Tour.

The G15 is a canon. I just hate the look of it. If I wanted a more forgiving Ping than the i15 (the nicest looking driver from 2010 IMO), I'd prob go old school G10, or Rapture V2

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
I'd look back a few years. I pulled out a couple of my old drivers and here is what I found. The Cobra 454 COMP is a bomber. Longer than any of the 20 drivers I've tried since I last used it. But control is problematic. FOr control with a slight loss of distance I've gone back to my Original R7 Quads. I have 3 a 10.5 for carry, and 2 8.5's for dry conditions. They are much easier to square and are easy to make light if you prefer a lighter driver. 2 of them are "Tour only" issue and even being tour only can be had cheap these days. I'd stock up on something like that for cheap. I tried my R9 TP against my R7 TP with the same shaft and found the R7 longer and straighter.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
WI, you're wrong. Why I read the "add ten yards to your drive" articles in the golf magazines every year and keep gaining yardage but then I keep losing it from old age and end up staying the same.

DrBrown

Hack Numero Uno
Sep 2, 2005
I still hold to you will never find a more forgiving head than a Cobra driver. If you don't hit the ball right on the dime every swing, that should be your club unless you totally hate the looks. Not sure what the robot reports on this but based on numerous people I've played aside the Cobra flies the same distance almost anywhere on the face. Even if a new Nike or R11 go 1 yard farther, I'd pick the Cobra for forgiveness alone. The COR hasn't changed on clubs, just the shape and looks so don't expect huge gains unless you have a 5 year old model.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.