• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is longest most forgiving driver in 2011?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
If I were looking to purchase one of today's drivers, it would be the 910 Titty line. We've seen a mass exodus at our course to this driver. Anyone who seems to try it... likes it. It's solid. It's pear shaped. There are quite a choice of shafts with no upgrade charge. And... they are adjustable.
The Ping line... K15 and G15... are long. The only downside of the current Ping line is that they have not adopted some sort of adjustable configuration. Seems if one is going to spend the money that is required to hook up with a new driver, one would want the ability to tweak it to their needs.
IMHO, TMAG is still a disaster of an investment. ANY TMAG product can be purchased 90 days down the line at 50% off, since they've probably released two more models in that 90 day period.
Cally has decided that you can just change the color of plastic inserts, add a new name, and it will sell. If you want a Cally, go to Callaway Pre-Owned and pick up something from the FT series at significantly less than what the current model of plastic insert sells for.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The Ping line... K15 and G15... are long. The only downside of the current Ping line is that they have not adopted some sort of adjustable configuration. Seems if one is going to spend the money that is required to hook up with a new driver, one would want the ability to tweak it to their needs.

Maybe that's an attraction also Limp. IMO, unless a golfer has a repeatable swing, don't worry about being able to adjust configurations to suite courses, conditions etc. For that type of golfer, it's as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
FWIW - The i15 will start the year in the bag, but I am going to be looking at more forgiveness more than likely sometime this summer.

That forgiveness will likely come in the form of a TMAG product - I'm leaning Supertri, if I can find one that I don't hit into orbit.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

That forgiveness will likely come in the form of a TMAG product - I'm leaning Supertri, if I can find one that I don't hit into orbit.

Be careful, they keep making their driver shafts longer. Result = harder to hit driver.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You might want to take a look at Cleveland's new XL and SL series. They don't have the adjustablity but the SL is 290 grams, and the XL is 270 grams. Both have the new silky smooth ultrlight Miyazaki shafts in them and are cannons.

I'm working at Dick's Sporting Goods for the moment, and I've hit the R-11, it's nice, but the adjustable sole plates are falling off some of the ones we've sold. The Superfast 2.0 is basically last years Superfast painted white as far as I can tell.The new Razr didn't really impress me at all. The new S3 Cobra looks just like last years S2. The VR and VR pro are ok, but nothing spectacular. We haven't recieved the new Adams yet so I can't comment on them, but of all the ones I've tried, I'm leaning towards putting the XL270 into my bag.

Just my .02 worth.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
You might want to take a look at Cleveland's new XL and SL series. They don't have the adjustablity but the SL is 290 grams, and the XL is 270 grams. Both have the new silky smooth ultrlight Miyazaki shafts in them and are cannons.

... of all the ones I've tried, I'm leaning towards putting the XL270 into my bag.

Interesting.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007

I'm working at Dick's Sporting Goods for the moment, and I've hit the R-11, it's nice, but the adjustable sole plates are falling off some of the ones we've sold. The Superfast 2.0 is basically last years Superfast painted white as far as I can tell.The new Razr didn't really impress me at all. The new S3 Cobra looks just like last years S2. The VR and VR pro are ok, but nothing spectacular. We haven't recieved the new Adams yet so I can't comment on them, but of all the ones I've tried, I'm leaning towards putting the XL270 into my bag.

Just my .02 worth.

Unfortunately, Cleveland has always sucked at advertisement and publicity. They usually make very very good stuff but you never hear from them, and since you can't seem to demo them or even find them in the store its not an option you would take to start with.

If they were to make a much more aggressive camping about this year's driver, I'm sure we would not be discussing about head colour nor 46.5in shafts.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Unfortunately, Cleveland has always sucked at advertisement and publicity. They usually make very very good stuff but you never hear from them, and since you can't seem to demo them or even find them in the store its not an option you would take to start with.

If they were to make a much more aggressive camping about this year's driver, I'm sure we would not be discussing about head colour nor 46.5in shafts.

No doubt, they advertise very little, The last tv ad I can even think of was Boo and Vijah bombing each others houses with drivers.......
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Zbsi5Z2xRIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willgolf

Mar 5, 2011
R11 looks class xamilo i havent got it yet but the look and feel at address is amazing and the sound is nice and goes a long way .there is no point buying a normal driver these days because if it doesnt work for ya you can change the weights the loft the angle .with a normal driver you have 2 change your swing

kosarfn

Mar 5, 2011
Love my D2 with the custom Project X 5.5 shaft. Absolute bomb and very forgiving. The shaft really lowers the spin rate, which is very helpful.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
After reading every review, visiting every website and scanning every ad, I'm convinced they are all the longest and most forgiving. All of them...Ping, Adams, TaylorMade, Cobra, Titelist, Wilson, Callaway, Srixon, Epon, Fourteen, Tourstage, Geotech, Crazy, Honma, Yonex, Mauraman, Mizuno, Miura, MacTec and a host of others.
What I learned is that for any individual it's the shaft fitting and loft selection that makes whatever you choose the longest. My advise, pick out a driver that looks and feels good and get it fitted by a pro. The fitting will be the investment you should focus on, not the name on club face.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
FWIW - The i15 will start the year in the bag, but I am going to be looking at more forgiveness more than likely sometime this summer.

Well that lasted long...

I played one round with the i15 - drove it real nice, shot a 76 and then went out and bought a D3. Call me stupid or whatever, but the i15 while a great driver is just too much work, and tbh, it's going to suck up here in VT for May-June with that thing.

I regretted ever dumping my 3 905Rs. I think this incarnation is their best to date

20 PAT's

Jun 21, 2009
Well that lasted long...

I played one round with the i15 - drove it real nice, shot a 76 and then went out and bought a D3. Call me stupid or whatever, but the i15 while a great driver is just too much work, and tbh, it's going to suck up here in VT for May-June with that thing.

I regretted ever dumping my 3 905Rs. I think this incarnation is their best to date

LOL I hear you. I tried my bosses 905 R and just smashed it, I use last years 909 D2, and while its straight, it's just not as long. I am going to experiment with the COBRA ZL this spring, and think I will probably end up with the 910...
Where are you playing BTW?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
LOL I hear you. I tried my bosses 905 R and just smashed it, I use last years 909 D2, and while its straight, it's just not as long. I am going to experiment with the COBRA ZL this spring, and think I will probably end up with the 910...
Where are you playing BTW?

Champlain CC in Swanton.

It's about 20 mins north of me, but the greens there are great, and they have no issues with me taking my son out whenever I want - plus free range balls. I'd like to try and get my game in shape this year and try to qualify for the amateur. It's a great place for that IMO

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Tried the Superfast 2.0 and R11 Drivers today.

Don't even worry about checking them out.

🔥 Latest posts