• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is St. Patrick's Day like in Ireland?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
OK Irish posters.

What is St. Patrick's Day like in Ireland? How do you celebrate it?

Is it different in Northern Ireland vs. Ireland?

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
If I had to guess it's probably a lot like over here, just more Irish guys and Leprechauns. :D
leprechauns.jpg

(insert Irsh accent here) Happy St. Patty's Day :cool:

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Nothing here no different for me it is more of a south thing to be honest but a lot of people still clebrate up here, but ot be honest it is just another excuse for us Irish to get pissed out of our heads.

I didn't even get off school today.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
So - no parades or parties??

Is it different in the Republic of Ireland vs. Northern Ireland??

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Bravo said:
So - no parades or parties??

Is it different in the Republic of Ireland vs. Northern Ireland??

Nope nothing in my area, there ar probably things on at clubs etc.. tonight but nothing in the main streets, and yes it is different here in the North paddys day is a southern thing.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
That is what I suspected.

We need a report from IG....

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Actually that was a lie whilst getting ready for bed I was watching he news and in Belfast 15 minutes form me there have been big parades all day, I just don't take interest in it I have better things to do than watch everyone dressed the same as a lepricon etc... :)

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Im in 7th grade. Some people in my school 7&8th graders didnt know what St. Patricks day. One didn't know why everyone was wearing green. Arent those kids just genious's.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Sorry, a bit late with the response here. I just enjoyed a few days off, which co-incided with St. Paddy's Day SPD.

There is no doubt SPD is a big Irish thing, more so in the South of Ireland. There are major festivals on in Dublin, Galway etc. It is a Bank Holiday. Up North there is still very much a religious divide on SPD, the Catholic nationalists celebrating it and the Protestant loyalists largely ignoring it. It is not a national holiday in N. Ireland, but a lot of businesses and schools do close for the day. The shoe is on the other foot with the 12 July, and largely this is the Protestant Day of Celebration with marches, etc.

Despite all this peace in Northern ireland there are still major cultural divides, which is a pity. To celebrate being Irish, North or South is very important to a lot of people. The people who tend to celebrate it the most are the ex-pat Irish living all round the world. To hold onto their Irishness, it involved drinking a huge amount of alcohol, dressing in green and generally acting silly.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a good one I heard on Thursday from a friend of mine. He was off to "sink his shamrock". ;)

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Thanks and it is good to hear from you.

I figured it was a big deal in the Republic - while N. Ireland was split...

The whole religious persecution thing is terrible and I am sad it still continues...

BTW - I heard recently that The Economist magazine in London named Ireland as the best country in the world to live in...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Bravo said:
Thanks and it is good to hear from you.

I figured it was a big deal in the Republic - while N. Ireland was split...

The whole religious persecution thing is terrible and I am sad it still continues...

BTW - I heard recently that The Economist magazine in London named Ireland as the best country in the world to live in...

Yes, it's all those golf courses and the fantastic weather!! (And of course because The Master lives in Ireland!)

🔥 Latest posts