• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the ruling in the following situation

I

Ian Jones

Today I was playing in a 3 ball. The second is a very short 110 yard par 3. I teed of and put my ball to within 3 feet of the pin and my playing partner was off the green in the bushes at the back of the gree. I left my ball on the green to look for his ball, he took a drop and proceeded to play before I could mark my ball.

His ball struck my ball which resulted in a perfect cannon (snooker talk) and my ball ended in the hole!

Can anyone tell me what the ruling is on what must be a very rare occurance. I am not nor will I claim a hole in one as far as I am concerned the ball must enter the hole under its own steam from when I struck it.

Welcome your thoughts guys and girls.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome to the board Ian!

I think the answer is that the ball must be replaced.

18-5. By Another Ball
If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball must be replaced.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have seen this situation many many times - but none of them resulted in the struck ball being holed.

If you ever see a ball rolling toward another on the green - focus tightly on the object (still) ball and after impact try to return it to that exact spot.

🔥 Latest posts