• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the single best shot you have ever hit?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I would like to hear your stories. I'll start it off.

It was Sunday of a 2 day tournament. The hole was a par 5 and after a long but wayward drive I had roughly 210yd to a flag tucked in the back left the green. I was sitting on hard pan (bare ground), off the left side of the fairway. I had a small ceder tree right in front of me. I pulled a 5i and I aimed so far right that if I hit a straight one it would have went out of bounds. I caught it flush and hit a rope draw that landed in front of the green and bounded up and on and rolled to about 3 feet for eagle. I made the putt for my first eagle in competition. I shot a 77 and ended up coming in 3rd place...by 1 stroke. It was one of the best feelings I've ever had playing golf.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Actually mine is almost the same as yours.

Mid length, but heavily uphill par 5. Drive was short and in a patch of young pine trees. I still had probably 220ish' plus being uphill i hit a big sweeping draw(probably more like a hook) out of the pine tree's and it rolled right up on the green. Gave me a shot at eagle but i'm pretty sure i either birdied or par'd it.

I couldn't see it, but i knew when i hit it it was going the right way. My buddy was just shaking his head he was like 'I can't believe thats on the green..'

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
I had 105 left on an uphill 380 yard par 4. Number 17 I believe, and there was a 6 hole carry over on the line. We were scrambling just to tie the entire time. My partner landed off the left of the green from about 145. And the ringer in the other pair stuck one to 8 ft right before i hit. I hit a 56 degree, it landed 4 inches past the cup and backed in for eagle. My only eagle on a par four, i've never even came close, and it came with about 90 bucks on the line. My best shot ever by far.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I had 105 left on an uphill 380 yard par 4. Number 17 I believe, and there was a 6 hole carry over on the line. We were scrambling just to tie the entire time. My partner landed off the left of the green from about 145. And the ringer in the other pair stuck one to 8 ft right before i hit. I hit a 56 degree, it landed 4 inches past the cup and backed in for eagle. My only eagle on a par four, i've never even came close, and it came with about 90 bucks on the line. My best shot ever by far.

Sweet! I've never holed out from the fairway...to me, that's as good as a HIO.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Have had two aces. First one was clunky. Shouldn't have even made the green, but rolled into the cup. The second was well struck and felt good all the way. Misty/foggy morning and didn't see it drop.

Have carded at least a half-dozen eagles, holing out from the fairway. Best one was about 3 years ago on our No. 9. Good drive to 135-140 out. 8 iron right over the top of the flag to the ridge just past the hole. Ball lazily began rolling back down the ridge about 8' to the hole. I had put away the iron and begun walking towards the green before the ball dropped.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
The only time i have holed out from the fairway(well, technically i was in a ditch between the fairways) was about 70yds out and i was just trying to hit the green. I got lucky and happened to put it in the hole. Fun, but not my greatest shot.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Short 270 yard par 4 into a fairly substantial wind. This was when I played my 380CC Nakashima NP-1 driver (3 years ago maybe). I teed it a little low, and played the ball back a little, and made the purest contact I can make with a driver. For the record, that was the sweetest sounding driver I've ever played.

The hole had 4 or 5 "moguls" down the fairway, and the green was downhill and slightly to the right of the fairway after the moguls, so I couldn't see the ball finish. As soon as it was in the air though, I said to the guys I was playing with, "That is going to be very good."

It finished about 6' short of the hole, and I made the putt for eagle.

I don't know if drives count though, as it's not hard to hit a good shot with a perfect lie and a teed up ball. But as straight as that ball flew into a wind that strong, it was PERFECT contact. I've hit so many hero shots with my 18.5 hybrid out of leaves, ditches, etc., that I could reply to this thread 12 times before I started having to think very hard.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't know if drives count

Of course drives count. It's what ever shot made you feel the best. I have a friend, scratch golfer, who has hit a ton of unbelieveable shots and he will tell you that his best shot ever was a 12' putt for par.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Two shots I will always remember... One long ago when I was in college and one last year while playing with YG.

First shot. I was in my 2nd year of college. I worked at the school as a faculty assistant and one of my co-workers and i were both about 2-3 handicap at the time. We played almost every Friday afternoon for a 12-pack of beer. We were evenly matched and probably split most of our matches over time. One day we played and after I paid my twilight green fees I realized I didn't have any cash left. Ruh Roh. We were all even on the 18th, a par 4 of about 385 yards. We both hit good drives right down the middle. He was first to hit and put his shot to about 15 ft. I had an easy 7 iron in and hit it dead on the stick. Two hops and in. That beer tasted good and afterwards I told him I didn't have the cash to pay for beer... maybe best pressure shot I ever hit.

2nd shot was with YG at Shawnee Golf & CC on the 20th hole (we have 3 nines). Par 4, 385 yards or so and the tee shot is across water, all uphill and usually into the wind. I poofed a driver off the tee and barely cleared the water to the right by a rocky creek that runs along the right edge of the fairway. I was about 180 out and had no angle to the pin except right over a greenside bunker. The pin was literally 3 paces from the bunker, anything above the pin was going to be a slick downhill putt. I had a good lie and pulled my CB1 4w, hit a towering shot that was the most pure fw wood I've felt in years. It just cleared the bunker, hopped a couple times and stopped about 3 ft. under the pin. Best recovery shot I've ever hit and had a witness! Oh yeah, made the putt for birdie too...

Mitch_DGCC

May 12, 2010
One day, playing in a steady downpour, i hit my drive into the right rough about 125 out on the fourth hole, a straight away 380 yrd par 4. I hit PW just trying to hit the green and make par since i was in some thick, wet rough. I absolutely nutted my wedge shot and i thought it would be pretty good. I got to the green and was pissed because i couldn't see my ball. My playing partner was just on the back fringe and walked past the pin and pulled it on his way by. To my surprise, my ball came out with the pin. I had holed it from deep, soggy rough from 125 out for my first eagle on a par 4. Easily my best shot ever.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
My second year playing golf. First round of the season on a course that just opened that day for the season. I played in with another single. Short course.

About the 5th hole is a 290 dogleg right par 4 with trees down the right side to protect from cutting the corner and getting on in 1. Sharp dogleg. The carry to the green was probably only 260 or so.

So I try to go for it and TOP my drive. Must have gone 40 yards. Grab my 3-wood and top/skull it out of the rough, under the tree line, through the greenside bunker and into the cup for a deuce. The bunker had slowed it down enough to make it roll like a putt once it got out.

Not that I was trying that shot, I was trying to take it over the trees to the green. But under worked as well.

I guess the best shot I pulled off that I was trying to hit was in a 2-man best ball. Par 5 and I'm about 225 out, but into the wind. 2-hybrid isn't enough, 3-wood is too much. I tell my partner, "How about if I mishit my 3 wood?" He agreed that was probably the best shot. SO I took the swing, intentionally hit the upper part of the ball, and got that ball going on a low trajectory with a ton of roll.

Rolled up to 3 feet and made the eagle. I love it when a plan comes together. :)

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Good topic.

I was about 160 yards out on the last hole of the day, par 4. I hit a good drive to the middle of the fairway, the fairway slopes from right to left, and I'd even put a little fade on it to keep it from rolling too far left (ok, that's not completely fair, a good 95% of my shots have "a little fade" wink, wink). The trick with this hole is that there is a big ol' ancient oak tree on the right front of the green, which is downhill from the fairway. Flying the ball in always involves some luck because of the large branches of this beast. Behind the green is a little creek that likes to collect balls.

I pull out my 5 iron and hit just a perfect bump and run, navigates the side hill and down hill perfectly, navigates the tree perfectly, and rolls right up to an inch and a half from the cup. A piece of cake tap in birdie.

It is my single best shot because it did exactly what I planned for it. I've hit shots that we better in that they ended up with better scores, like holing it out from the fairway before, but I know that those were luck as much as anything. But this one did exactly what I planned for and that it what makes you keep coming back -- hitting those perfect shots and then of course thinking "now, why can't I do that more often?"

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Last week. 8th hole - 190m downhill par 3 at Eustondale (outskirts of Toowoomba, Queensland). Narrow green. The hole was index 1. Hit the ball dead centre in the middle of my 4 iron. I caught a glimpse of my tee backspinning in the air in front of me as I watched the ball fly straight, high & long. Landed on the green about 8 feet left of the pin. Nice feeling.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Great stories guys. It is shots like these that keep me coming back to the course every Sunday and why I got the golf addiction in the first place. When I first started playing golf (I couldn't come close to breaking 100), I hit the flag stick on a par 3. The ball hit so low on the stick that my buddies swore that it flew straight into the cup and bounced out. To me, it was awesome, and at that moment I knew I had found a wonderful game to immerse myself in.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
to me, any putt outside 10-15 feet feels as good as nutting a driver off the box. even if i just graze by the hole for a tap in, love that feeling.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.