• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the single best shot you have ever hit?

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Greatest shot ever was a 2iron back in college(I did not play for my school in college, just played as normal) from about 205 out on a par 4. It was dead into the setting sun. Hit it and then looked around forever to find it. Finally looked in the hole and there it was. I was also alone.

Greatest shot ever recently was almost 2 years ago when I rolled in a 45 footer for birdie on 18 to finally break par for 18.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
I hit shots like that quite often, I am actually pretty good at it. Mind you i rarely swing for the fences that way. Usually just a punch out with a flipped over 7 iron. I can play pretty good right handed as well so that helps a lot. This shot however was pure luck I feel. The fact it went as far as it did and landed where it did were really lucky. Whe you consider I most likely had my eyes closed when I hit it it gets even luckier.

My wife is left handed and after hearing your story, I took her clubs out back last night and was trying to hit them right handed. LOL, that is a VERY hard shot...for me anyway. How do you hit one high like that? When I tryed to add loft to it, it would dig something stupid. I figured if I learned to hit that shot properly right-handed, I could apply that to my clubs in a left-handed situation. No dice...I think I'll just take an unplayable or stand with my back to the target and do the ole one-arm back-hand shot.

edit: Did that shot sting your hands?

295yards

May 5, 2009
It's a toss up between two shots.

Probably the best I hit was because of the conditions.

I had 150 yards left on a short par 5. I was in the rough just off the fairway, with the ball above my feet 2-3"s. I had 9i in my hand and my hands were freezing. It was cold / wet damp!

It was a half island type green with water left and in front and the pin was tucked tight up front and no room to go long either. It was all carry. A shot short would find the water and a shot long would be trouble.

I suppose I could aimed to the far right of the green and left the water out of play. But even that was atricky shot.

I addressed the ball and wimped out. I felt like I could not get my 9i there in those conditions so I grabbed my 8i and choked up.

I looked at my friend and said "this is going to be ugly".

I hit it pure and as the ball came off the face my eyes lit up. It was all over the stick.

2" from the cup! For my first eagle and it was a tap in!

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
My wife is left handed and after hearing your story, I took her clubs out back last night and was trying to hit them right handed. LOL, that is a VERY hard shot...for me anyway. How do you hit one high like that? When I tryed to add loft to it, it would dig something stupid. I figured if I learned to hit that shot properly right-handed, I could apply that to my clubs in a left-handed situation. No dice...I think I'll just take an unplayable or stand with my back to the target and do the ole one-arm back-hand shot.

edit: Did that shot sting your hands?

I have hit at least 100 shots this way over the years. I dont even hesitate to hit it on the course. I am completely confident i can hit flush, with a relatively normal ball flight. I can hit a 7 iron this way about 120 yards. Its always a mid height with about 15 yards of slice on it. It may very well be the most consistent shot in my bag LOL. And no, if you hit solid it shouldnt sting at all.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Very similar to Lyle's shot but I actually managed to go one step better.

Playing at Port Fairy Links a few years back and hit a godawful duck hook on the 3rd (320m, 350yard) par 4 with a 20 yard or so elevated green. Anyway, found my ball sitting right beside some ti-tree. I don't know how many of you have encountered ti-tree before but its a THICK tree/bush that if you're actually in or under it your very lucky to be able to get out of or even find your ball in for that matter.

So my ball is sitting up against, and I couldn't even back in to get a left-handed swing the bush was that thick. Pulled out my PW, sitting about 110 yards from the flag and took an almighty right handed swing. Made good contact and it was flying straight at the flag. The guys I was playing with couldn't get over the fact that I made contact, let alone was going to be on the green from where I was. Walk up to the green and couldn't see the ball anywhere. We spot a pitch mark about 8 feet short of the cup, and a few of us looked at each other, all thinking 'surely not'!

Check the cup and there it is. Unbelieveable. Put me to 2 under for the day and I ended up shooting even par 72. But that shot got me quite a few beers in the clubhouse after.

That one only just beats out my hole-in-one on the 12th at Heywood, a 194 metre (215 yard) monster with a severly sloping left to right green. About the only decent shot I've ever hit with that damn 4-iron!!!

295yards

May 5, 2009
Very similar to Lyle's shot but I actually managed to go one step better.

Playing at Port Fairy Links a few years back and hit a godawful duck hook on the 3rd (320m, 350yard) par 4 with a 20 yard or so elevated green. Anyway, found my ball sitting right beside some ti-tree. I don't know how many of you have encountered ti-tree before but its a THICK tree/bush that if you're actually in or under it your very lucky to be able to get out of or even find your ball in for that matter.

So my ball is sitting up against, and I couldn't even back in to get a left-handed swing the bush was that thick. Pulled out my PW, sitting about 110 yards from the flag and took an almighty right handed swing. Made good contact and it was flying straight at the flag. The guys I was playing with couldn't get over the fact that I made contact, let alone was going to be on the green from where I was. Walk up to the green and couldn't see the ball anywhere. We spot a pitch mark about 8 feet short of the cup, and a few of us looked at each other, all thinking 'surely not'!

Check the cup and there it is. Unbelieveable. Put me to 2 under for the day and I ended up shooting even par 72. But that shot got me quite a few beers in the clubhouse after.

That one only just beats out my hole-in-one on the 12th at Heywood, a 194 metre (215 yard) monster with a severly sloping left to right green. About the only decent shot I've ever hit with that damn 4-iron!!!

...and you're lefted handed too?

NICE!!!

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
...and you're lefted handed too?

NICE!!!

Yeah, but I had a bit of an advantage in mine. I actually got a right handed handicap about 5 years ago and played off 16. So I can play a bit the other way. Actually hit the driver longer right handed when I catch it. I've let the righty 'cap lapse now though.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Yeah, but I had a bit of an advantage in mine. I actually got a right handed handicap about 5 years ago and played off 16. So I can play a bit the other way. Actually hit the driver longer right handed when I catch it. I've let the righty 'cap lapse now though.

That is so cool man...I don't think I could break 100 through 9 playing left handed.

LeftyHoges

Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
That is so cool man...I don't think I could break 100 through 9 playing left handed.

Thanks buddy. It does help that I'm actually right handed at everything bar golf, eating (flip hands with knife and fork) and baseball. Right footed at EVERYTHING, don't even ask me to kick a football or anything lefty. It'll be weak as hell! :)

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
End of the year teacher's golf tournament back in the 1970's in Lafayette, Louisiana. Four-way tie, so its sudden death. First hole is about 310 dog leg left. Wind helping some. The first three hit three-woods for great wedge shot position to green. I took my driver out and hit the straightest, most solid shot ever with my Powerbilt persimmon. Ball bounced once and rolled up on the green where two people had just finished putting out. It stopped about ten feet from the hole. All three opponents hit fair pitch shots, but none was inside my ball. They putted and missed. I putted and made the eagle. They went on to the next hole to decide second and third place. I walked in sort of in a daze. People came up and said, "Better luck next time." I said, "What do you mean? I just drove the green and made the eagle putt. I have won." Lots of laughs until the rest of the guys get back and start talking about what had happened. Yes, the made putt would have to rank pretty high as well. CP

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I addressed the ball and wimped out. I felt like I could not get my 9i there in those conditions so I grabbed my 8i and choked up.

I looked at my friend and said "this is going to be ugly".

I hit it pure and as the ball came off the face my eyes lit up. It was all over the stick.

2" from the cup! For my first eagle and it was a tap in!

Where the hell are you playing that you have an 8-9i into the green for your second shot on a par 5?

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Where the hell are you playing that you have an 8-9i into the green for your second shot on a par 5?

One of my local courses has a par 5 that measures 450 yards, then in the winter they move the boxes up to about 420 yards. I've been about 115 yds out with a SW in my hand before.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
one of the courses in my rotation has a 492 yd par 4 followed by a 468 yd par 5. Tell me the sense in that.

MossDr.

Jun 30, 2009
A 3 foot putt downhill for my first sub 70 round. I was so nervous my lips were stuck together and my only thought was try not to throw up on my shoes. Then I hit reset and said 'why would you stop doing what got you here? stroke this putt like you have all the others....like you mean it.' Knocked it an and the numerical demon which had psyched me out 4 times before was gone....still my best shot ever b/c it set a particular way of thinking in my head!

Scottyboy

Jun 4, 2010
On a par 3 I usually get on or around the green from the tee box I had a strong wind in my face and decided to use more club. In mid swing the wind like completely dies. I over shoot the green and hit a cop car parked by the entrance to the country club dead center windshield. It was priceless because no one likes the cop.

🔥 Latest posts