• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the strangest shot you have ever hit?

PMay

Jul 7, 2009
Bloomington Indiana
Country
United States United States
The other day I played a round and teed it up on a par 3. It was about a 160 yard shot over a lake. I hit the ball and watched it come down at almost a 90 degree angle and splash into the water just about 5 yards from the bank. I hit a provisional and thought nothing of it. When I got up to the green, sure enough my original ball was laying a few yards from the edge of the water. The ball must have hit something in the lake and bounced up onto land. The strange part was that everyone in my group saw the ball splash and no one saw it bounce back out.

What are your strange shot stories?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
18th at my home course is a 440 yard par 4 that is part of a few holes that were built on top of an extinct volcano. The fairway narrows way down right in my landing zone so it's hard to hit.

I laced one down the middle and thought nothing of it. Got up to where it should be and couldn't find it. Spent a few minutes and gave up, dropped another one in the fairway and hit to the green. As we approached the green, we saw another ball just in front of it. Turns out it was my drive. I managed to kill it over 420 yards. The only thing we could figure was that it hit a sprinkler head (or two) or some volcanic rock or something. My ball wasn't nicked or anything, so it made no sense. :confused:

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Same situation as you roughly 160 over water to a par three, I hit a low guided missile that had no chance of reaching the green but it skipped twice up to safety on the fringe. It was absolutely crazy.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I guess the strangest shot for me would be when I was so nervous that I my legs were shaking and my hands were trembling and I not only made contact with the ball, I hit the shot of my life in front of about 50 people. I have no idea how I did it. That was a good kind of strange. It was a freak accident but it felt great.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I once banked a pull hook of a ball washer back into play.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
In the tournament I played a few weeks back I hit the 150 stake (pvc pipe in the middle of the fairway, not sure wtf they use them) with an absolutely nuked 5 iron. It was at least 20 yards ahead of me and we were playing into a 2 club head wind. The ball takes off and I'm thinking that's going to be close, it didn't gain any altitude and just smacked the shyt out this pipe and bounce dead left. My playing partner almost pissed his pants from laughing so hard.

I failed to see the humor in it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I once saw a guy (that was in my group) dead toe a 7 iron off the tee box marker and ended up 10 feet pin high.

If we all continued to hit balls for the rest of our lives, you will never see that shot again.

I didn't even laugh about it. We all just shook our heads. It was beyond unreal.

R35

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I didn't see this but my dad saw a guy go completely under his drive and knock the ball about 25 feet in the air and they guy caught the ball.

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
My ball nestled right up next to a dead squirrel once. I gave it some serious thought but decided to remove the "loose impediment" before taking my shot. What the hell would the ruling be on that though?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
My ball nestled right up next to a dead squirrel once. I gave it some serious thought but decided to remove the "loose impediment" before taking my shot. What the hell would the ruling be on that though?
I would assume loose impediment.

Which reminds me, last year I was in a tournament and my ball came to rest ON TOP OF a pile of goose shit. Couldn't move that one and had to play it as it lied.

🔥 Latest posts