• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is your 200 yard club?

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
Around here we have all long par 3's. I know I can hit a 6 off the tee 200 if I hit a trap draw, delofted. I'd try 7 and put a small wager on it but don't try shots like that unless there is a reason. Too much risk in pulling it.

Elevation has to play a factor I'd imagine. The courses I play regularly there is a low of +4ft. above sea level and a high of just over +200ft.

Like I've said before in driver threads, it holds even more true with irons. In 5yrs. I've never played with anyone, ever, who hits less club on par 3's than I do. Many the same club but never less. I naturally deloft the club at impact. My boss hits driver only about 10yds. behind me. At one of the par 3's at his course, he hits 3W and I hit 5iron. He's the opposite, hits irons from up in his stance and might even add loft to them. So off the fairway the difference is even greater. I've seen him hit 6i to my PW from virtually the same distance from the fairway... and his 6iron goes higher.
If you ever golfed with my buddy it would easily be the first. He is 3 clubs less then me on all irons. When I hit an 8 iron he will hit a gap wedge. The other day from 170 I hit a 7 iron just on and he hit a PW over the green. He hits his irons longer then anyone I ever seen and I watched the Canadian Amateur at Bell Bay. It was misty probably around 40 degree's late in the evening and he almost got his 5 iron on from 240 up hill. I doubt I could have gotten my 3 wood on in those conditions.

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
I'll pull a :smilie_wi 3 iron. I could jump a 4 iron and probably get it there on a bounce ot two, but I've been a half club shorter than most players of my ability for several years, probably becasuse I stopped trying to crush the ball a dozen years ago, and have been playing better ever since.

I play a nice little cut shot with most clubs, especially the longer clubs, so I'll get a little more height than most, and play balls that spin a bit as well. It should hold the green unless I thin it a bit.

So, a good, solid 3 for me. Good question, and good thread!

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'll pull a :smilie_wi 3 iron. I could jump a 4 iron and probably get it there on a bounce ot two, but I've been a half club shorter than most players of my ability for several years, probably becasuse I stopped trying to crush the ball a dozen years ago, and have been playing better ever since.

I play a nice little cut shot with most clubs, especially the longer clubs, so I'll get a little more height than most, and play balls that spin a bit as well. It should hold the green unless I thin it a bit.

So, a good, solid 3 for me. Good question, and good thread!

I'm the same way. And it seems to be working out about like this over the last 5 years.

2003: 200 yard club= 6 iron. Handicap-18
2005: 200 yard club= 5 iron. Handicap-13
2008: 200 yard club= 3 iron. Handicap-6

2010: 200 yard club? Probably 3 wood! Handicap? Hopefully scratch!

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
United States United States
From 200 yds here in Utah, I can pull a 7 iron and carry it. A cut 6i is most likely what I would pull just to be safe.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
Come on man, I know that 3W goes a lot further than that.
icon10.gif

with your swing.not mine.:D

but if you look closer you`ll see thats at a smooth 75% swing with maybe 5 yds of roll.although today i got 220 out of it.unfortunately i only needed 207.:D now if i could just transfer that to the fairway i am having a very rough time hitting woods off the ground this yr.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
i am having a very rough time hitting woods off the ground this yr.

That aspect is my strong suit right now, it's the irons that are getting to be a real pain to hit at times. perhaps I can figure out a way to play with nothing more than a driver, 3&4w's & putter? Wonder how pitching would work out the 4w?:confused:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That aspect is my strong suit right now, it's the irons that are getting to be a real pain to hit at times. perhaps I can figure out a way to play with nothing more than a driver, 3&4w's & putter? Wonder how pitching would work out the 4w?:confused:

It can be done!! A few weeks ago I had 90yds. in stuck under a tree right. I hit a punch cut 5W, went out to about 2/3 away in the middle and cut right back up between the bunkers.
icon10.gif
I gotta remember that one.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I've hit 5w and 6 iron from 200 recently with success. it really depends alot on conditions.

PhillyEagle

Feb 3, 2007
From 200 yards I use my 5W. It usually carries right around 200 (+/- 10 based on contact) and actually stops pretty quickly because it goes high.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I try to nut my hybrid. It's not exactly my favorite shot with water or a deep bunker in front of the green.

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
200 for me is:
(Assuming I've flushed / struck one well!!)

very very well struck 6i, but normally a 5i in the height of summer. (5i can be 190-210 depending on roll)
Carry would be a 4i.

I've been flying the 260 yard par 4 (don't laugh!) 9th at ours with my rescue dual 3i recently - but I have been absolutely munching and I'm so full of confidence. I find it goes as far as my 3 wood!

I can't hit driver at the moment, so I use the rescue 3i pretty much all the time to get into position. I've changed my swing, ball position and most importantly my train of thought before I hit a shot and its giving me more consistency and much further higher ball flight. (I somehow rinsed a 9i on Saturday 160 yards! - I wasn't trying to do that, it just flew the green I was aiming at!)

Mind you, the weather has changed here from winter to 25+ degrees of summer in the space of about 2 weeks!

🔥 Latest posts