• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is your favorit ball-brand and why?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
So it looks like a golf ball weighs about 700 grains average. Big bullet. The differences amongest the balls I have are less than 10 grain. That cant be very useful. I wonder if its probably related to the inside part when it comes to distance. That seems reasonable.

Now im gonna find a press with a guage and squash some....

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah, either way works for us!
I will. Technically im gonna be looking for the modulus of elasticity. The point beyond which a material cant return to its original shape. UAB has some gear for that in the engineering school.

Usually the gear comes with an attendant professor or grad student of whom I will inquire about the shot relevant physical properties

Last edited:

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I will. Technically im gonna be looking for the modulus of elasticity. The point beyond which a material cant return to its original shape. UAB has some gear for that in the engineering school.

Usually the gear comes with an attendant professor or grad student of whom I will inquire about the shot relevant physical properties
If Stogiesnbogies was here right now he'd set ya straight. Over and over and over again.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Anything but Nitro.
Ive split two of them in half right out of the box. And I dont exactly have a very fast swing speed. Junk balls.

I think Callaway are my favorite brand. No real reason other than mentally I play better with them. Might be because I keep telling myself that :D

hepkat

Aug 7, 2013
Mpls
Country
I almost never buy new balls. I walk when I play and end up finding more balls than I care to carry. With so many people choosing to ride carts these days, people prefer to remain sedentary in their carts rather than get out and look for their stray shots. As a result, they lose a lot of balls which are actually pretty easy to find if you give it at least a little effort. Just scanning places where stray shots are likely to go, I end up with lots of tour caliber balls: Pro Vs, Callaway Hex Tour, Nike One, Srixon, Bridgestone. I also find lots of other "value" balls, which I put into the practice bucket or give to my in-laws.

To be honest, I can't say I notice much difference across brands of high-end performance balls. With a good strike, they all feel and sound good coming off the club -- and most importantly, off the putter. Distance, control, and stopping power, all the tour caliber balls are great. The main thing is they have to have that softer (urethane) cover. That's what gives that feeling of compression and staying on the club face long enough to impart decent spin. The hard cover "distance" or "value" balls just don't grab around the greens the way a high performance ball does. I swear all those cheap balls all come out of the same factory in China anyway. They just get a different stamp -- Top Flite, Pinnacle, etc. Rocks.

And really, with all the different makes and models available, consumers are overwhelmed by so many choices. Just like with toothpaste brands, it's like some joke marketers are playing with consumers. Glad I don't have to buy balls off the shelf.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
TaylorMade Penta TP5 for me. Great ball for $30 a dozen.

Sucks arse that it's been discontinued and replaced by the $40 a dozen 'Lethal", which is basically the same ball.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.