• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is your scariest moment in golf?

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
I don't know about Lighting, but how about teeing off in your first match representing your club with the world and his friend watching, or even your first monthly medal, that was pretty scary!

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
See my infamous golf story thread 8/13/05 cant be bothered to type it again but i found a bomb on the course.I also hit a horse on the butt which stampeded across the course accompanied by 8 others riders that was nasty several riders were hanging off the horses.A lightning bolt hit the guy on the green next to us 25yrds away luckily he was ok but he had a black bruise half an inch wide down his chest.:ukflag:

Witmaster

Esprit de Corps
Jan 19, 2006
longshot said:
See my infamous golf story thread 8/13/05 cant be bothered to type it again but i found a bomb on the course.:ukflag:
You know.... I should have mentioned my golf adventure in Afghanistan.

Yes, there is a golf course in Kabul Afghanistan. While deployed over there for O.E.F. a group of us decided we just HAD to go check it out. Now, fortunately we didn't get shot at but we did find several unexploded mortor and artillary rounds on the course.

Let's just suffice it to say that if you happened to hit one O.B. then it (by God) stayed there and you just hit another ball :)

czervik

Nov 21, 2005
I'm standing on the driving range of a country club. I was a guest and I had been wanting to play this course, so I was pretty pumped. I heard someone yell "FORE" from the course. I didn't figure it applied to me since I was on the driving range and there was a huge fence protecting us.

Next thing I know I see a flash of light and I'm laying on the ground. Some teenage kid had hooked a ball over the fence and nailed me in the forehead. When I gathered my senses the dad is making the kid feel real bad and making him apologize, etc. I told the kid not to feel bad, we have all hit shots like that,..massive hook, slice, off the heel, etc. Then all of these club employees ran out with waivers and apologies. I was messed up for three days because of that, but, of course, I DID go ahead and play 18 holes with a bag of ice on my head.

OP
A

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
Witmaster said:
You know.... I should have mentioned my golf adventure in Afghanistan.

Yes, there is a golf course in Kabul Afghanistan. While deployed over there for O.E.F. a group of us decided we just HAD to go check it out. Now, fortunately we didn't get shot at but we did find several unexploded mortor and artillary rounds on the course.

Let's just suffice it to say that if you happened to hit one O.B. then it (by God) stayed there and you just hit another ball :)

I think I remember reading an article about someone playing golf in Afghanistan... or was it a TV news clip a couple years ago. Someone playing with a nine iron and a ball on practically a desert. Was this you or someone else?

OP
A

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
justsomeguythatgolfs said:
Apparently some guy at the course I play at hit his ball right behind a tree, and decided to try to hit around the tree. Well it didnt go so well, and he the ball ended up rebounding back and breaking his arm. Talk about bad luck

Yeah, I've done this a couple times myself, trying to hit around a tree, but always making sure there is enough angle such that the ball will never bounce back toward me....

Witmaster

Esprit de Corps
Jan 19, 2006
avg_golfer said:
I think I remember reading an article about someone playing golf in Afghanistan... or was it a TV news clip a couple years ago. Someone playing with a nine iron and a ball on practically a desert. Was this you or someone else?
That wasn't me. That was a British news crew that ran that story.

The golf course is amazing. If you could imagine golfing on terrain that mimics the surface of the moon then you have a pretty good grasp of the conditions.

The "Greens" were actually made of oiled sand that was beaten and packed into a firm surface.

One cool thing about it.. we were some the very first people to golf there after it opened. They only charged us 5 dollars to golf and that included club rental and heavily armed Caddies!

Edit** I forgot to mention... the fairways or so rough that the caddies actually carry golf mats around with you don't have to hit off the rock and sand surface :)

Members online

No members online now.