• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is your scariest moment in golf?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
trob said:
The only danger I've seen is stinking ducks. Every year at a little pitch and put my son and I goto these same damn ducks attack us because thier protecting thier young. lol
Ducks attacking me learn real soon the secondary uses of golf clubs. Where I used to play there were so many geese while walking down the second fairway, I always would make sure I had a club in hand making the trip. Then again I wouldn't have to explain to my son why I was so cruel to geese.
ezra76 said:
I know standing out in the fairway waving a 3iron around is definitely not good.

No, as Trevino pointed out "I'll hold up my 1 iron, even God can't hit one of those", I would trust the opinon of someone who has been struck twice:)
Augster said:
I got chased by a bear.
Although I have seen a couple on our course, the Black Bears around here are pretty docile. Not that I ever want to test that out, as I feel they may be faster than my golf cart. We also get them in our back yard every now and then. I nicknamed our dog "Bear Bait". We had one rip down a bird feeder with 20 lbs of seed about 3 feet from our bedroom window and haul it out in the woods. I decided that was a little close and didn't want to see birds in the morning that badly, although we still have feeders on our back deck which is second story. So far they have left them alone, although just being on the second story does not always stop them. My wife and I were camping in Shenandoah and a group of tourist were distracting a mother while another group had the baby surrounded taking pictures. We kinda decided we didn't want to stick around to see the outcome of that one.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
Ducks attacking me learn real soon the secondary uses of golf clubs. Where I used to play there were so many geese while walking down the second fairway, I always would make sure I had a club in hand making the trip. Then again I wouldn't have to explain to my son why I was so cruel to geese.

If yer looking for a real challenge, try swans, especially if they've just hatched chicks and yer fooshing around the water hazard for a ball ..... admittedly Bears are a different ball park to borrow a phrase from Vincent Vega ...

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
About 10 years ago I was playing with some older retired gentlemen down in Florida. We had just started playing after an hour or so of heavy rain. I pulled a drive left near a huge puddle that had acumulated during the storm. I spotted the ball near an old log and calmly strolled toward it, only to realize when I was just a few feet away that it was an alligator (first time i'd ever seen one that wasn't in a cage). I beat feet outta there to the howls of laughter from the old guys. They even let me have a free drop on the other side of the fairway. :D

OP
A

avg_golfer

Nov 9, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
If yer looking for a real challenge, try swans, especially if they've just hatched chicks and yer fooshing around the water hazard for a ball ..... admittedly Bears are a different ball park to borrow a phrase from Vincent Vega ...

Ducks, swans, geese, ... and there were little birds near water hazard protecting their territories. They had sharp beaks and could dart around very fast. No sure what kind of birds.... but they were very menacing.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I was playing with a guy from out of town and we were playng a west texas course with a desert look.
I kept telling him, you have to stay in the farway because if you hit it in the cactus you might cross paths with a rattle snake.
He finally hit one out there and as he passed by the frst cactus a jack rabbit darted out. You could hear him scream a mile away! We had to stop playing because the rest of us were laughing too hard to play and he was shakeing too bad.
It was the scariest for him and the funniest for me.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Dave Ireland said:
If yer looking for a real challenge, try swans, especially if they've just hatched chicks and yer fooshing around the water hazard for a ball
No thanks, I've seen the videos, for some reason their heads usually always line up with parts that I would rather not expose to a beak. That is why I don't have pictures of swans, I know what they are thinking of doing while I line up the camera. I'll take my chances with the bears.

BTW, I didn't mention, the second picture was the bear being processed by a Park Ranger after trapping and tranquilizing the bear. The bear was not harmed. The first picture was the bear being released after coming too. I really didn't have this infatuation with putting my hands into the bears mouth. Although again, I think I may opt for that over the alternative with the Swan. I kind of wondered if I really wanted to be around after the bear woke up from being trapped, moved, drugged and having a tooth pulled out. In the same since I'm not sure I would want to be around when some Marine wakes up with a hangover and a tattoo. I guess the bear will stay away from big metal canisters that contain food in the future. Then again, the Marine probably went out drinking again that night.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
Last week I went out to an open field next to my work to chip a few balls during lunch and forgot my wedges at home so I took my 9 iron instead. I got a fair distance away from the building (100 yds. or so) and picked a spot to aim for, took a swing, hit it just right and overshot my goal by about 20 yards just when a BMW was pulling out of the parking lot. Missed it by about 5 feet luckily but still got my blood pressure up.

Last winter was golfing in Tucson at Silverbell golf course in the middle of the desert. 3rd fairway is right next to a border patrol station and they were doing tear gas testing or some chemical that got caught in the breeze over to the course and I inhaled it and started coughing and hacking and wheezing and couldn't breathe. I left my ball where it was and jumped in the cart and floored it (at 5 mph) to the next hole where I could breathe again. Not a pleasant experience.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I left my ball where it was and jumped in the cart and floored it (at 5 mph) to the next hole where I could breathe again.

I believe that is a 2 stroke penalty, or loss of hole in match play. Tsk, tsk.

I thought girls were supposed to be good at holding their breath? :D

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Scariest moment?

My wife almost finding my Golfsmith receipts.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
ive been attacked by geese on the 9th...my ball landed about 10 yards from a nest i guess...right as i start my backswing i hear this honking and hissing and flapping...there are 3 of them darting at me...my first instinct was to drop the club and run....which i did... If it were only one of them i might of taken a swing at it.

also one time i shanked a 5 iron and hit a guy right on the shoulder ...he was on the green of the next hole... he understood. "hey, it happens" he told me.

i was glad he was understanding.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
token_hottie said:
I've been married for long enough that I'm out of practice :D

Yeah, that must be a universal. Right after we got married, wifey cut her hair and, well, you know the rest. Damn, that was a long time ago.

justsomeguythatgolfs

Apr 8, 2006
Apparently some guy at the course I play at hit his ball right behind a tree, and decided to try to hit around the tree. Well it didnt go so well, and he the ball ended up rebounding back and breaking his arm. Talk about bad luck

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
I thought girls were supposed to be good at holding their breath? :D

Oh no you didn't just say that! No no no no no...

On the other hand - ROTFLMAO

And TH - that was a great comeback.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.