• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Kind of golfer are you.

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Well im a guy out for fun. I write down my score and try and do good. I take a few mulligans and don't waste time trying to hit out of the stix. My golf buddes are the same way. We have a lot of fun and laughs. I go play with serious players and its like what? No jokes, no laughin, no pokin fun at peoples shots, no putting the cart into reverse on someones backswing, no walking out on the pond in winter to retrieve your Nike you found in the sticks while looking for your ball stuff? I know some see it as bad sportsmanship o do this to golf but a lot of times I go out by myself and its just me and the course. I see golf as a time to go out and enjoy the outdoors with your friends and have some fun. I ask this question because it seems most of you forumers ae pretty hardcore gotta get that 72 kinda people. Just want to see who im really around!

jerryopela

Jun 7, 2005
Gunner... I am the same way, I play for fun. My usual group is not disruptive to other golfers and we keep pace with everybody else, but we have a great time screwing off as well as golfing. I have found the same thing (lack of fun) with playing in a group with other serious players. It seems they are out to shoot par and nothing else matters, including fun. We really go crazy on the 18th tee, I have had my share of tees and balls thrown at me on my backswing, but it is all in fun. I would rather shoot 110 and have a great time than shoot a 72 and be to serious.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
We have a good time in my group but try to follow the rules since we always have a little money on it. We never take mulligans, not even on the first tee and we take our penalty strokes when we lose a ball or go ob.

It doesn't mean we're not having fun or that no one has ever farted in a backswing or swung a flag stick behind a player when he's putting.

If you're not reporting your scores for a index to use in a tournament I don't think it matters about the do overs. For me, when it stops being fun then I'm gonna find something else to do that is.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I play strictly for fun. If I shoot 90, I know I can do better, but as long as the jokes are flying and we all have a good time, it's better than anything else out there.

I play to about a 4 index, and I take the game seriously. But only MY game. I could care less if the guy next to me shot 110, it's all about having fun.

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Why is it one or the other.

I have an absolute blast on-course with my regular group. We all try to score as low as possible, since it is a lowball with $$$. We all follow the rules because it is a lowball with $$$. We all get along great and have a bunch of fun and talk loads of shite to each other.

You can have both.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I play mostly for fun, as long as you are not disturbing anyone else have all the fun you want.

I wear hearing aids and the wind sounds like a tornado at times so I take them out so you could have a 20 piece band playing and I wouldn't notice.
My brother in law used to be a dallas policeman and we got paired up with a couple of guys one time and on the 3rd hole one guy whips out a pipe and asks, you don't mind me smokin a little grass do you. You should have seen his face when my brother inlaw whips out his badge and says, only if you don't mind me arresting you.
On the 4th hole they had a family emergency and had to leave, we were laughing so hard we couldn't hardly play.

longiron

May 2, 2005
I play for fun but at the same time i follow the rules of golf. If you gol B-Ball with your buddys do you call fouls and travaling or is it a free for all.

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
I play in a lot of tournaments, but try not to take it too seriously because I know I can't compete right now with many of the other players. It's nice to have a tee time, play with good players, and have a chance to win something back, though.

My golf buddies are high handicappers and it's strictly for fun then. I live in an awesome area, so it's tough to not appreciate the scenery, etc. I often take pictures while playing.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
fun, but I follow the rules for my scorecard...others can record whatever they want on their cards

as for the cart reverse thing...I think that as you get better as a player...you start to take things more seriously in the game...and it can become disrespectful to screw around with someone mid swing

it just depends how you think of the game, I guess

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
obagain said:
My brother in law used to be a dallas policeman and we got paired up with a couple of guys one time and on the 3rd hole one guy whips out a pipe and asks, you don't mind me smokin a little grass do you. You should have seen his face when my brother inlaw whips out his badge and says, only if you don't mind me arresting you.
On the 4th hole they had a family emergency and had to leave, we were laughing so hard we couldn't hardly play.

LOL....that is funny as hell..great story.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i play serious most the time but i have fun while doing it.i quit using mulligans about the second year i joined the league.because i wanted to get alittle better and closer to league play situations.

i have no problem with anyone in my group taking one during regular play if they want.i dont mess around during peoples backswings,but if they hit ine in the drink i usaully reply "i dont think that one has the distance rexie".i also am just about always telling jokes during rounds.

🔥 Latest posts