• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What makes a golf course "women-friendly"?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I typically play courses which range from 5800-6400 yds from the white tee's, anything longer than that & i'm not usually having a good time. I don't pound the ball 280+yds, not even on the net:beach3: & like you prefer to keep it in play.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I would think that an welcoming, accepting attitide towards women being there would be priority one. Granted, there are going to be a few *******s just about anywhere but, it is important that women feel welcome. I don't know how many times I have gone somewhere and heard some jerk complaining about women playing. As long as players are considerate and move a long if a hole starts taking too long, what difference should it make?

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I would think that an welcoming, accepting attitide towards women being there would be priority one. Granted, there are going to be a few *******s just about anywhere but, it is important that women feel welcome. I don't know how many times I have gone somewhere and heard some jerk complaining about women playing. As long as players are considerate and move a long if a hole starts taking too long, what difference should it make?

At my home course we have a pretty large female membership.With all honesty they are the best groups to play behind.Even if you catch them on the tee box, by the time they reach their balls u can hit because they are so far away.Pretty fantastic in my opinion. The biggest complaint I hear from women is that the course was to difficult to walk or unwalkable.Alot seem to enjoy that apect, walking that is.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I want to also say that I play with a lot of golfers who happen to be women and they can hold their own against just about anybody. I didn't mean to come off sounding like only women hold people up on the course because that is FAR from true. Inconsiderate people back up golf courses.

My best golfing buddy and I shot a best ball 68 one day and lost 1 down to two of the better women golfers in our area. It was one of the best, most fun matches I have ever played.

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I want to also say that I play with a lot of golfers who happen to be women and they can hold their own against just about anybody. I didn't mean to come off sounding like only women hold people up on the course because that is FAR from true. Inconsiderate people back up golf courses.

My best golfing buddy and I shot a best ball 68 one day and lost 1 down to two of the better women golfers in our area. It was one of the best, most fun matches I have ever played.[/Q

Well your capp is 5.1 so your not looking for many balls in the woods.lol

OP
G

Golfgal

Jul 23, 2008
Well, I've just spent the last while reading all these posts and I want to thank you all for your humor and good ideas too. Lots of great thoughts (and some silly comments that just add to the jocularity ;) and are fun).

One thing that did surprise me, however, was the walking aspect. You know...every woman I play with prefers to walk the course. I never thought about that before, but in hindsight, it's true. Hmmm...

Also, the whole par 3 executive discussion was great and IMHO, it is not just about women. We could all use some good par 3 golf courses to practice our short games. There are so few up where I live and the ones that are there are full of non-golfers. It's painful to go there and wait 10 minutes on every hole. I wish there were more par 3's designed for real golfers to work on the toughest part of our games.

Thanks everyone!
Gayle

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
One thing I forgot to add, plenty of wildlife. Our home course has lots of geese and turtles. My love seems unable to refrain from making comments about how pretty or how cute they are, and seems to always do it right in the middle of my swing, :faintthud

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I've just spent the last while reading all these posts and I want to thank you all for your humor and good ideas too. Lots of great thoughts (and some silly comments that just add to the jocularity ;) and are fun).

One thing that did surprise me, however, was the walking aspect. You know...every woman I play with prefers to walk the course. I never thought about that before, but in hindsight, it's true. Hmmm...

Also, the whole par 3 executive discussion was great and IMHO, it is not just about women. We could all use some good par 3 golf courses to practice our short games. There are so few up where I live and the ones that are there are full of non-golfers. It's painful to go there and wait 10 minutes on every hole. I wish there were more par 3's designed for real golfers to work on the toughest part of our games.

Thanks everyone!
Gayle

Gayle, +1 on the walking. Hadn't thought of that as a woman thing, but within my marriage it is. Hubby HAS to drive the cart, and we hit to different sides of the fairway. The cart goes with him, and as a result I walk every round; the only issue is if I'm carrying my clubs in a bag or in my hands. I doubt that has universal application.

One thing I forgot to add, plenty of wildlife. Our home course has lots of geese and turtles. My love seems unable to refrain from making comments about how pretty or how cute they are, and seems to always do it right in the middle of my swing, :faintthud

Nothing like a bald eagle sighting to make a round!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
My wife tends to get excited about the wildlife as well, sees a damn groundhog or a deer & she gets all stupid about it. Even though we see wild deer, turkey, etc everyday.

maybe put a zoo in the middle of a par 3 course would make her happy?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Too bad my wife wasn't with me saturday when I played, she would have loved the little red fox that was running around.

steve in Arizona

Dec 31, 2008
I agree with the comment that ideally the "ladies" tee should be placed so that the person hitting from it will be hitting about the same club into the green as a typical player from the "regular" tees. That would likely mean a little more forward.

I would think that an on cart GPS system would also be helpful, especially if the article is going to be read by persons visiting Arizona who are not familiar with the courses. For example, I love the Troon courses in Arizona but they give you a yardage book instead (an affectation I do believe so I carry a portable Sky Caddie).

I think ladies like challenges just like men but most of them don't hit the ball nearly as far. So a course that is challenging with various hazards, sloping fairways, etc. but not as much length should be an attractive challenge. And the hazards should be reasonable given the length of the ladies shots (don't set up a 150 yard carry over a lake to a green).

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
ok, going to be serious here, but not sure if this is more of a "how to speed up play" than a "woman friendly" suggestion. usually, the ladies hit first, because they most likely are not going to endanger the group on the fairway in front of us.

we end up not doing this though because the reds are in front of our tee boxes and the problem is that the ladies have to come back to us to get out the way. if the red tee boxes could be protected somehow so they could stay there and let us shoot from the back tee box, then everybody could carry on,forwards.

Members online

No members online now.