• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What makes a golf course "women-friendly"?

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
ok, going to be serious here, but not sure if this is more of a "how to speed up play" than a "woman friendly" suggestion. usually, the ladies hit first, because they most likely are not going to endanger the group on the fairway in front of us.

we end up not doing this though because the reds are in front of our tee boxes and the problem is that the ladies have to come back to us to get out the way. if the red tee boxes could be protected somehow so they could stay there and let us shoot from the back tee box, then everybody could carry on,forwards.

Great thought, Mike. If the tee box isn't protected, all we need is a safe place to the side.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
By an odd set of circumstances, my normal foursome consists of me and three women, one of which is my wife. Myself and two ladies walk, while the third lady prefers riding.

AThere are only a couple of issues my wife has mentioned that I haven't heard here. One is the maintenance and location of the forward tee boxes.

A couple of courses in this area have fairly flat men's tee boxes, but nothing but a rounded hump where the ladies tee off. They couldnt' find an even stance.

And at a course very nice course in Sylacauga, Alabama that required us to use carts, at one tee my wife had to leave the cart and walk at least 100 yards to her tee box, then return to the cart.

Another thing my wife mentioned is that she likes courses that offer women's clothing, clubs, etc. for sell in the pro shop. When we're waiting to tee off, the ladies will browse the clothing. Although they don't often buy anything I guess just having the items there makes them feel more welcome.

Frankly, I think there aren't many issues that make a course "woman friendly." I have some of the same problems the women face with finding restrooms (especially as a get older!) and course staff members with bad attitudes.

And I like seeing wildlife as well.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
AThere are only a couple of issues my wife has mentioned that I haven't heard here. One is the maintenance and location of the forward tee boxes.
Now that you mention it, I do notice this as well. Have played a few courses where they had the ladies tee boxes obstructed by trees for the tee shots if you wish to hit at the fairway. Some that actually had trees overhanging that my wife could barely find a place on the tee box to swing. Others where the tee box was almost like rough.

I know if it was me I would have been PO'ed, and it didn't seem to phase her much, so it is probably more common that I would think.

cheymike

Nov 11, 2009
I'm jumpin in on this one late but here's something simple that really bugs my wife. How about putting ball washers at the "ladies" tee box? If she doesn't remember to use the one at the back tee she has to either play her ball without washing it, or walk back to do it. I can't resist it..... She hates playing with dirty balls. :rolleyes:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I'm jumpin in on this one late but here's something simple that really bugs my wife. How about putting ball washers at the "ladies" tee box? If she doesn't remember to use the one at the back tee she has to either play her ball without washing it, or walk back to do it. I can't resist it..... She hates playing with dirty balls. :rolleyes:

Course I played at a few weeks ago had something I had never seen before. Ball & club washers were mounted right on the cart. Eliminates to need for them on the course.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I golf with a gal that is 68 years old (I am 72). I usually play from the whites; while she plays from the ladie's tees. One particular day the course was pretty crowded so I decided to play from the senior tees to help speed our play. When she saw that the senior tees were only 8-10 yards behind the ladie's tees, she said "OK where the hell are the senior lady tees?".

It seems like she has a point there. Why should a lady of her age have to hit from the same tees as the younger hard-bodies? :D

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
I golf with a gal that is 68 years old (I am 72). I usually play from the whites; while she plays from the ladie's tees. One particular day the course was pretty crowded so I decided to play from the senior tees to help speed our play. When she saw that the senior tees were only 8-10 yards behind the ladie's tees, she said "OK where the hell are the senior lady tees?".

It seems like she has a point there. Why should a lady of her age have to hit from the same tees as the younger hard-bodies? :D

i've seen tee boxes in front of the reds. i think they were called "junior" tees.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
most are setup that an average mens tee is close to where the lady's will end up. 2) no danger - bunkers, water, in the landing zone off the tee. 3) wide fairways. 4) grass in the fairways- thus fluffy lie. i mean let it grow out.. 5) no hills! 6) there better be ice water on the course and tee/lemonade mix at the turn 7) good looking assitant pro's

worked a few jobs at private cc's and now retail shop that caters to a few private courses in the area and the womens league's at each. i hear it whenever a few are talking about their rounds.
:usflag:

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
I suspect golfgal has already written her article but when I play with women the one thing that ticks them off is forced carries into greens. Granted, greens in Europe are generally smaller than their US counterparts (you even feed your greens too much) so pin positions are kind of crucial. When you can't spin the ball like some of the guys it is very frustrating to have a pitch to a flag 3 yards behind a bunker.
I'm not suggesting the course setup has to be whimpy, just realistic. Walking off the 18th green with a decent score will put a smile on any golfer's face, don't think women are any different.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
(you even feed your greens too much)

Sez you - maybe you guys feed your greens too little.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
That is all the rage right now, they justify it as "environmentally friendly". Me thinks they're just cheapskates :)

DR2009

Dec 21, 2009
My younger sister became interested in playing golf about two years ago and he went a few :diespam:. She will be the one to tell you that its not about whether or not the course is women friendly its about course management. She can play any course with out help. Golf schools are a wonderful thing. I have been to a few my self.

🔥 Latest posts