• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What many non-golfers (and some golfers) don't understand.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My brother does that when we play. He used to destroy me on the course, but since I've started playing more and more in the past year, and gotten my stuff together he and I will shoot even with each other, or be within 4-5 strokes.

He'll put one OB, then the rough, then the bunker, then the green and 2 putt, and he'll put down Par, on a long par 5...

We argue. I like to call him out, especially if we're drinking. :)

But yeah, golf is one of those games that cheating only affect you in a normal casual round.

If I'm playing with some new guys, or some random folks I'm paired with. I rarely ask what they got.. I can usually figure it out, and I don't keep their score, so when a guy says he sunk that par putt, when I bogeyed and I KNOW I he didn't.. what does it matter to me?!

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
If I'm playing with some new guys, or some random folks I'm paired with. I rarely ask what they got.. I can usually figure it out, and I don't keep their score, so when a guy says he sunk that par putt, when I bogeyed and I KNOW I he didn't.. what does it matter to me?!
Same here. Most the time when Im playing with friends or family I dont even ask what their score for that hole was because Im out there to have fun, not to be all serious and competitive.
I usually keep track of what I got just for my own benefit, but I couldnt care less what other people are scoring.
I'll even give them all the mulligans and, "practice swings" that they want and its no biggie. Having fun is all that matters.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I'll even give them all the mulligans and, "practice swings" that they want and its no biggie. Having fun is all that matters.

The guys at my work aren't very good so I do the same thing for them. I don't care what they shoot so long as they are out there & at least trying.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
We usually will mix it up.

You get 1 mulligan and 1 "Bad Drive", per 18.

Meaning, any shot, NOT on the green/fringe can be "redone" and not counted for what it was. it can also be used off the tee box if you need be.

Bad drive is just that. It has to be off the tee box, and it can be anything.. OB, hazard, short, ugly, long, straight or whatever. If you want to hit again, and hit "1" you can do that, once only.

It takes some of the "frustration" out when we're all hacking away. Certainly keeps the arguements down, and makes everyone feel like they have a saving grace when they "practice" swing.

When it's me and my playing partner, or some other guys, it's strictly the rules.

Family plays and hacks away with us.. we'll pull out the lawless addition.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I used to do similar stuff when playing with my dad. We'd play one mulligan, only on a tee shot, for 18holes. Also have done this with my boss a few times. I started keeping a legit cap this year though and don't do anything outside of the rules for rounds I'm entering. The funny thing is I don't score any worse. I've always been pretty good at working the ball out of trouble spots. So, while I can understand beginning golfers doing stuff like mulligans, if you seriously want to get better, play it as it lies and by all the rules. Otherwise when you do, you won't know how the heck to save a bogey after a bad tee shot and move on.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
One of the reasons I stopped playing in the usual Saturday men's group was cheating with handicaps. Just blatant and outright cheating. It has nothing to do with money, but everything to do with principle.

That's how I started playing with the studs that continuously beat me like a drum. They are ex Division I college players, but we play no handicaps and everyone plays hard, every shot, no gimmies and just great competition. They make me better and I also know I'm not getting corn holed by some dishonest jerk.

The last time I played in a game with handicaps was 2006 and it was my last time. My neighbors buddy showed up from out of town and claimed to be a 12....shot 74 and was obviously out to fleece us since he was just visiting. I paid and then my friend who had invited the guy offered to compensate us, but I declined. These kind of jerks can ruin a nice day at the course.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I used to do similar stuff when playing with my dad. We'd play one mulligan, only on a tee shot, for 18holes. Also have done this with my boss a few times. I started keeping a legit cap this year though and don't do anything outside of the rules for rounds I'm entering. The funny thing is I don't score any worse. I've always been pretty good at working the ball out of trouble spots. So, while I can understand beginning golfers doing stuff like mulligans, if you seriously want to get better, play it as it lies and by all the rules. Otherwise when you do, you won't know how the heck to save a bogey after a bad tee shot and move on.

Actually Ez, you can make your boss happy and still enter the score for handicap. On a hole where the score might be questionable, you either take the score you most likely would have made had you finished the hole under the rules, or you take par plus any handicap strokes you would have received on that hole. If you would have normally gotten one stroke on a par 4, then you mark a 5 for handicap purposes. You are only required to properly finish 13 holes under the rules to claim a round for handicap. :thumbs up:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
There is one guy I refuse to play with anymore, cousin of a work buddy. The guy is the biggest damn cheater & I don't care if he cheats & lies, but don't try to brag afterwards about what a great score you had.

We would see him off to the left in the heaviest rough, yes he hooks the ball & spends the majority of his time way off course. Anyways he would be hacking & chopping at the ball, we could count 1-2-3-4-5 swings & finally he is out. We get to the green & all of sudden this asshat is going for birdie or par????????

Just got very tiresome, so we had his cousin tell him he's no longer welcome if that's how he wants to play.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Some of those are funny, i'm going to remember the shadow one as well as deal about knowing how someone is hitting the ball so well. May have to use a couple of them some day:laugh:

Okay, I'm dying to have enough nerve to ask my brother-in-law if he's always had the funny hitch at the top of his backswing. But that's only to make him stop giving me advice on MY swing, even after I've told him (reasonably politely) I don't want it.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I absolutely hate unsolicited advice, especially off the internet.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.