• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What percentage is mental?

The master

online
Oct 24, 2004
1,735
5
Well it will be different for some peopel but for me it plays a hughe part, I would say at least 50% of my game, if I have a negitive thought about a putt then I know I will miss it, vice versad if I liek the look of the putt (up hill left-right break) then I know I will have a good chance of making it.


Also another example of this is on the 5th hole of my course there is ob over the trees on the right and the big hitters take it over them like myself and I think all the time don't go right and usually hit it up the left.


I need to get rid of negitive thoughts like these. I have a good mental game in the dpeartment when I play a match I think I will win liek a tourney because on my day there isn't many players better in the club.




Does anyone else struggle with the mental game and how no confidence over the ball which makes a real difference let me know?


Thanks
 

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,798
1,080
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Golf is 100% mental.

If you can't wrap your brain around the swing, the shots you need to make and the effort that is required to go into it, you're never going to succeed.

Sure, many guys have "talent", but this is only because they have a mental control over the game and themselves.

Once you have an understanding of the game, you figure it out much more quickly.

I mean, before you started golf, did you realise how the ball is struck influences the direction that it goes and that it's not a random pattern?

Knowing your game inside and out makes you a great golfer. And those that put the effort into learning and honing their game more often than not excel over those that don't.

Take Moe Norman. The man was an incredible ball striker. He understood HIS swing better than anyone could. He sure didn't look like an athlete, someone born with great genes for ability. His mind, as minimal as it was, understoof mechanics, timing and ball striking way more than any of us could ever dream.

100%. No doubt about it.

R35
 

Slingblade61

Well-Known Member
Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
6,042
125
No question....100%

The guy I play with regularly takes lessons fairly often yet he cannot break 80.

I catch him overthinking from time to time....you can actually see him do it.

If he ever comes on here I hope he tells you that my problems are more to do with technique than overthinking.
 
M

MJonGolf

Guest
Whatever the percentage is, the need is for one to prevent thoughts from interferring with the swing. The best approach I have come across can be found in the book Zen Golf.
 

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
272
0
Yea, I think golf is 100% mental for me. Because whenever I think about what can go wrong like hitting it down into the trees on the rightside of the fairway then thats where it goes. But if I think of it going straigt down the middle or to the left it will. Same with me for putting. So for ME I would say golf is 100% mental for me.
 

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
3,986
3
Once you have learned the fundamentals of how to swing a golf club then it's 100%.

How many times have you been having a bad round and no matter how hard you try your game just sucks. At some point you say screw it and just swing and hit a great shot. It's all about the brain.

My HS track coach use to tell us that even distance running was 90% mental. I know he meant that after we had put in the miles that the mind took over, but he was right.
I just need to remember to say screw it on the first tee.
 

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
2,360
2
as a great man once said 50% of this game is 90% mental the other 10% must be excution.
 

🔥 Latest posts

Top