• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What rule addresses why you can't putt pool style?

Ken Florey

Jun 16, 2014
Country
United States United States
Guy at the liquor store says he putts pool que style. I told him it's the against the rules and he said show me and bet me $5. I know it's not legal but in what rule is it banned? I understand the stance rule on putting between your legs. But I guess if you wanted you could be to the side of the line like you do if you putt side saddle. You'd have to be very flexable but I guess you could do it. I know there is a rule, would someone tell me what it is so I can take his $5. Thanks Ken

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Guy at the liquor store says he putts pool que style. I told him it's the against the rules and he said show me and bet me $5. I know it's not legal but in what rule is it banned? I understand the stance rule on putting between your legs. But I guess if you wanted you could be to the side of the line like you do if you putt side saddle. You'd have to be very flexable but I guess you could do it. I know there is a rule, would someone tell me what it is so I can take his $5. Thanks Ken
Striking Ball with Billiard-Type Motion

Q.A player holed a short putt by squatting behind the ball (but not on an extension of the line of putt behind the ball) and striking the ball with the bottom of the clubhead, using a motion similar to that used in playing a shot in billiards or shuffleboard. Was the player in breach of Rule 14-1?

A.Yes. Such a manner of moving the ball constitutes a push in golf.

14-1/3

Putting with Wrong End of Putter

Q.A player misses a short putt and hastily holes the ball with the wrong (handle) end of his putter. What is the ruling?

A.The player incurs a penalty of loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play for a breach of Rule 14-1 which requires that the ball be struck at with the head of the club. In stroke play, the stroke with the wrong end of the putter counts, and, since the ball was holed, the player had completed play of the hole.

OP
K

Ken Florey

Jun 16, 2014
Country
Hay man thanks, don't know if you can send a private message on this forum, (I usually hang out on diesel performance forums but if you can send me your address and I'll send you the $5. Thanks

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Hay man thanks, don't know if you can send a private message on this forum, (I usually hang out on diesel performance forums but if you can send me your address and I'll send you the $5. Thanks
I just made that up. Just kidding I googled it. No worries on the $5. :)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You gonna hang around & be part of this asylum or go back to sniffing diesel fumes?
Hey, nothin' wrong with the sweet smell of diesel exhaust. Love it, vs that rotten egged odor from catalytic converters on our gasoline powered jalopies. And the sound... Can't get over how quiet the engines are in today's equipment. Part of my hearing loss is old age. The other part is from sitting in the cab of too many excavators and loaders powered by "screamin' jimmys". Of course, some of the Cummins equipped Rams can wake the dead!!!!

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Striking Ball with Billiard-Type Motion

Q.A player holed a short putt by squatting behind the ball (but not on an extension of the line of putt behind the ball) and striking the ball with the bottom of the clubhead, using a motion similar to that used in playing a shot in billiards or shuffleboard. Was the player in breach of Rule 14-1?

A.Yes. Such a manner of moving the ball constitutes a push in golf.

14-1/3

Putting with Wrong End of Putter

Q.A player misses a short putt and hastily holes the ball with the wrong (handle) end of his putter. What is the ruling?

A.The player incurs a penalty of loss of hole in match play or two strokes in stroke play for a breach of Rule 14-1 which requires that the ball be struck at with the head of the club. In stroke play, the stroke with the wrong end of the putter counts, and, since the ball was holed, the player had completed play of the hole.
Well played

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Not legal?

tincup.jpg

Damn it!

🔥 Latest posts