• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What sort of money do you guys play for?

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I hate playing for money. Money changes people.
I particularly hate playing match play style with money.

Sorry but I've had a couple bad experiences with sore losers. I prefer to play friendly golf with no money changing hands. I'll save competative golf for tournaments that matter.

Two experiences that stand out in my mind when playing for money:

1. Playing with a guy who had taken my money on several previous occasions. He had not played with me in over a year. In that time I had stepped up my game 1000%. I had a good day and swept the bets taking $40 from this guy. A few months later I end up playing with the same guy at a charity outing where I was a sponsor. At the after-party this guy gets a few drinks in him and starts calling me a sandbagger because he's still got a big bug up his ass over me taking his money months earlier. He wanted to bet in the first place and he never had a problem with taking my money when I was a beginner.

2. Last season playing with a friend who is extremely competative with me in everything. He too had taken my money on numerous occasions when I was a beginner. I did not want to play for money that day but he insisted and was kind of mouthy about it. I obliged and offered to play strait up stroke play with me playing two sets of tees further back. He agreed. I demolished him. On the 17th hole I tapped in for an easy par and he missed a put for a 7. He was so angry that instead of picking up his ball he took a big swing at it with his putter. He missed and took a divot out of the green a foot from the cup about the size of what a digger would take with a wedge in full view of the residents in the condos that surround the green. I let him keep his money.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I only play about $6 skins game or there about. Basically where the money isn't a big deal it's just something to play for. I don't like serious gambling with golf.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I know. Freaked me out to see Bravo in the thread only to realize it was from '05.

I play for Monopoly Money.

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
I hate playing for money. Money changes people.
I particularly hate playing match play style with money.

Sorry but I've had a couple bad experiences with sore losers. I prefer to play friendly golf with no money changing hands. I'll save competative golf for tournaments that matter.

Two experiences that stand out in my mind when playing for money:

1. Playing with a guy who had taken my money on several previous occasions. He had not played with me in over a year. In that time I had stepped up my game 1000%. I had a good day and swept the bets taking $40 from this guy. A few months later I end up playing with the same guy at a charity outing where I was a sponsor. At the after-party this guy gets a few drinks in him and starts calling me a sandbagger because he's still got a big bug up his ass over me taking his money months earlier. He wanted to bet in the first place and he never had a problem with taking my money when I was a beginner.

2. Last season playing with a friend who is extremely competative with me in everything. He too had taken my money on numerous occasions when I was a beginner. I did not want to play for money that day but he insisted and was kind of mouthy about it. I obliged and offered to play strait up stroke play with me playing two sets of tees further back. He agreed. I demolished him. On the 17th hole I tapped in for an easy par and he missed a put for a 7. He was so angry that instead of picking up his ball he took a big swing at it with his putter. He missed and took a divot out of the green a foot from the cup about the size of what a digger would take with a wedge in full view of the residents in the condos that surround the green. I let him keep his money.

exactly. i cant play for money. i end up getting all pissed off when things arent going my way, lol

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
my normal group, we will play either $1 a hole, or 50 cent marks...sometimes $1 a mark..........never loose or win more that $7-$10

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I suck at golf...I don't bet money when i know for a fact i'll lose it...

Pool, Darts, bowling sometimes i'll enter a friendly bet

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Haven't played for money yet, *shrug*

Winning is enough for me.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I like the concept of playing for money, it really does make things more interesting. People's attitudes change and overall games too. Things can get pretty tense. But that being said, I don't ever want to take money from my friends, just like I wouldn't want to be taken for a bunch by them either. We usually play for a couple bucks, but never more than $10.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
A friend and I would occasionally play for a million a hole. Back in the high roller days. Come to think of it, that bastard still owes me like 26 million!!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The only money I deal with near a golf course is the money I pay to play and the change I use to mark my ball on the green. Every once in a while my buddy and I will bet a gatorade or something like that, but he's the only one i'll even do that with.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.