• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What team do I play for?????

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
Hi

I got bit of a problem, last year I played Leslie Wood (county competition between clubs, handicap 7.5 and over) and was looking forward to playing it next April. But my handicap has come hurtling down from 10, to now 6.9, I shot 71 in medal on Sat. Now I am in the Thornton Cup catergory. Same concept as Leslie Wood just using best 12 players in club. I really don't know if i should go up to 7.5 or continue trying to get and cut and go for Thornton Cup. The thing is the guy who is going to be Leslie Wood captin really wants me in the team and has been type 'mentor' for me and all my mates are in that team. I know the Leslie Wood team stand good chance of going all the way while Thornton Cup team do well if they make 2nd round. The lowest player in that is 4, they really can't compete against clubs with +1 or +2 players. I'm torn between putting a few NR in on the medal and getting back to 7.5 by next April or keep going down the line and settle for Thornton Cup team. Next medal is in 2 weeks and I really need make decision by then. What would do people?????????

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
For me it's a no brainer. The whole idea of the game is to get as good as you can. That means getting your handicap as low as possable. You should play in the better standard Thornton Cup, playing against better players will inspire you and bring your game on. Plus throwing in n/r's to get shots back is cheating and is something I would only expect from Frenchman or Arsenal fans!!!!!

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Take it you're not someone with a serious problem with sandbagging... That's basically what it is. If you can play to a handicap below 7.5 and you deliberately put it up, it's cheating... There are a few guys like this at my club. They're known to everybody for it, and not really that many people actually like them.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
You know in your heart what you should do. It's hard but in the end playing Thornton Cup will make you a better player

OP
H

huggystyle

Brave Golfers Only
Sep 30, 2005
First time I have heard this expression 'sandbagging'. I'm not trying to go out and win any extra club medals or trophies by having my handicap 1 shot higher. The only reason is because I want to play with all my mates in the Leslie Woods team and make the team as strong as possible.

I wouldn't class NR as cheating, I mean I have all the winter medals to play through its hard not to go up in them where I play. I think thats bit harsh what scotty said. I got half the guys I play with pulling me one way to Leslie Wood and the other half pulling me to Thornton Cup and I don't know what to do?

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Does anybody know how you become a caddy? Is there a course you go on or a exam to do? I would say I'm a pretty good amatuer, I play off 3. I was wondering how I get into it or what age you should be. I'm 22 years old at the moment.

Thanks.

I'm confused... I came across this thread, because caddying is something I'm interested in and you say you're off 3?

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
First time I have heard this expression 'sandbagging'. I'm not trying to go out and win any extra club medals or trophies by having my handicap 1 shot higher. The only reason is because I want to play with all my mates in the Leslie Woods team and make the team as strong as possible.

I wouldn't class NR as cheating, I mean I have all the winter medals to play through its hard not to go up in them where I play. I think thats bit harsh what scotty said. I got half the guys I play with pulling me one way to Leslie Wood and the other half pulling me to Thornton Cup and I don't know what to do?

Your handicap aside, I'd encourage my friends to get there handicap down so they can play in the better comp. At the end of the day do you want to play Champions league or UEFA cup?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yep, play the harder tournament. You'll learn more and progress as a player much quicker.

2,000!

Members online

No members online now.