• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What tee boxes does everyone play?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I enjoy the game most at around 6400 yards, since I can generally use most of my clubs at that yardage. I usually play at around 6000 yards, since that's what my usual group does. This works out to white tees usually, and blue tees when I'm by myself, or with another group that plays from the blues.

I only play from the back tees when I have to, like in a tournament. Otherwise, it's generally an exercise in frustration.

Pretty much spot on what I do. I try and play between 6000 to 6500 yards which normally runs with the equivilent of the whites but sometimes the blues depending on course length and local tee color. At my home course, it actually is the green tees (Red/White/Green/Blue/Black) which provides a 6521 yard experience compared to the whites at 5900 yards. They used to be red/yellow/white/blue/gold but changed recently as too many of the "seasoned" citizens refused to play the yellow tees and were slowing up play. By staying at a distance based tee box selection process, I have played anywhere from the 2nd set of tees to the fourth set of tees.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
forgot to mention that if I play as a single then I just play from wherever the group is playing from unless it is some seniors.

Same here, it just makes the round more enjoyable and simplier.

At my course we have red, white, blue yellow, green, and black. I generally play yellow and green, and when im up for it the black(7,000 yards).

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Tips. Always the tips, no questions. Ranges from courses 6600 to 7600.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
white or blues, depending on the course and/or with whom i'm playing.

a couple guys i used to play with somewhat regularly always insisted on playing the blues, no matter what. it was definitely a machismo thing with them as they were fairly long hitters. the problem was that they are both 20+ cappers and were usually all over the place. playing from the whites with 3 woods would have done their scores a ton of good.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Depends. If it's a competition, the medal tees. If not, I tend to play from standard gents tees. If the gents tee is miles back and i'm playing alone, walking or there is a seriously strong wind which you are directly in to, I would probably just go to one of the forward tees.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Generally from the tips. But in my tournaments the yardages for my age groups (17-19) is 6400-6700 yards, so tournaments i kinda get restricted by that.

Other then that i always want to give myself the best test and play the tips.

Jun 24, 2006
What ever everyone else in the group is playing.

If im a single i go from the tips.

If im in a two some with someone that has the length, and game i suggest the tips.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
I enjoy the tips, they make some of these "easier" courses a little more challenging. I really like that it will demand a hybrid or long iron for some par 3's instead of a 8-9 iron. I also like that it requires a longer, and harder to hit club to lay up well on a dogleg.

Hybrid-Heaven

Oct 22, 2006
Great Subject

This is a subject where Golfers expose their true hypocrisy. Most players say they play from the tips because they "Want the challenge" Yet, nearly every last one of those people play the longest ball, longest driver, and longest irons possible. Many upgrading their drivers on a regular basis seeking that elusive longest driver that provides just a few extra yards at significant cost.

It would seem like it would be significantly less expensive to play 10 year old clubs and balls and play from the whites, if all your looking for is a challenge!

The reality is that most play from the "tips" because of ego, and mask it as a drive for competition. One even called people who play from the whites "wimps" if they are long enough to play from the back tees.

The truth is that people with a handicap higher than 5 should play from the whites, so they can develop their games, keep the game more fun, and keep the speed of play up. One said, "What's the difference between a PW and an 8 iron?" It's a big difference. That's why tour players like Vijay subscribe to bomb and gouge. I mean if your really looking for a challenge, why not tee off with a 5 wood every time? Why not purposefully hit the ball farther from the hole so you can be challenged with a more difficult putt? Challenge Indeed.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
This is a subject where Golfers expose their true hypocrisy. Most players say they play from the tips because they "Want the challenge" Yet, nearly every last one of those people play the longest ball, longest driver, and longest irons possible. Many upgrading their drivers on a regular basis seeking that elusive longest driver that provides just a few extra yards at significant cost.

It would seem like it would be significantly less expensive to play 10 year old clubs and balls and play from the whites, if all your looking for is a challenge!

The reality is that most play from the "tips" because of ego, and mask it as a drive for competition. One even called people who play from the whites "wimps" if they are long enough to play from the back tees.

The truth is that people with a handicap higher than 5 should play from the whites, so they can develop their games, keep the game more fun, and keep the speed of play up. One said, "What's the difference between a PW and an 8 iron?" It's a big difference. That's why tour players like Vijay subscribe to bomb and gouge. I mean if your really looking for a challenge, why not tee off with a 5 wood every time? Why not purposefully hit the ball farther from the hole so you can be challenged with a more difficult putt? Challenge Indeed.

I partially agree with you on this. If I do not play from the highest rated tee box then it could damage my handicap. Playing from the PGA Tour tees at TPC Craig Ranch was netting 77.0 handicap so I could shoot a 74 and not affect my handicap but if I were to play from the blues the course handicap would have been 72.3 and I would have to shoot a 69 to not affect my handicap. That is a 7 shot difference between playing from the pros and the blues on this course. chances for me lowering my handicap are greater playing the harder of the two tees since 7 shots is a huge number difference for me.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I enjoy the tips, they make some of these "easier" courses a little more challenging. I really like that it will demand a hybrid or long iron for some par 3's instead of a 8-9 iron. I also like that it requires a longer, and harder to hit club to lay up well on a dogleg.

A well laid out course will demand that without necessarily requiring that you play the tips. Playing the par 4 holes on my home course from the white tees will require playing everything from a SW to a 3I (or for me a #4 - 22° hybrid) to the green for most golfers. Obviously that changes if you always bomb 300 yard drives, but most players don't have that kind of length, even the ones who think they do. And the par 3 holes vary from 135 to 190 from the white tees. So even playing from the whites, I generally use every club in my bag on most rounds. That has long been accepted as a required feature in a properly designed course... you should be tested in all facets of your game. I think it's one of the reasons why I've continued to enjoy this course for the 22 years that I've been playing it on a regular basis. :)

clint

Aug 17, 2006
My course has black(7141), blue(6456), white(5871), and red(4929). I get a couple of pars and +3's per round with the majority of my scores falling in the +1 and +2 range which usually puts me in the high 90's to low 100's. I've yet to play from anything but the whites and with the game I have,or lack thereof, and it just doesn't make any sense to play from anywhere else. Maybe when I shave a consistant 10 strokes off my game I'll move back.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Depends on the length of the course and who I am playing with. If the course only has 4 sets of tees I will play from the one in front of the tips. If it has 5 sets of tees either the 2nd or 3rd farthest from the back.

🔥 Latest posts