• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What the f....?????

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
One of the few tournaments these days that I actually watched the last round ON tv. It was shown on Sky Sports here so I had to go to a local bar to check it out. My impressions? This is a hard course, but set up in a brutal way. It just seemed that anything missing the green turned into a complete lottery. The best guys in the world just looked silly. Miss by a yard and it's a double looking right at you. I always think that the US Open par 70 is a killer. We all know it plays like a 72, so +8 is probably the score to par. Was it fair? No. Was it entertaining to watch? In some ways I guess, but it also seemed unfair to watch guys hit good shots get punished.

So anyway onto the coverage. I probably saw 2 hours play and had some thoughts.

• Jim Furyk's swing amazes me
  • Only 6 Americans in the top 20 - surely that must be an unusual stat right there.
  • 5 Englishmen in a row - but who the hell is Kenneth Ferrie?
  • Vijay is in a slump LOL!
  • Monty's face all night looked like a bullgdog licking piss off a nettle!

Anyway as it reached 11.30pm I headed home as I had an early start today. At that stage it was a foregone conclusion or so I thought!!!

At one stage it was Manboobs, then Montgomery, then Padraig Harrington, then Manboobs again etc. As the caldron got hotter, the players starting falling into it. First Harrington, three bogies to fall into the soup, goodbye!

Then Monty looked like he was gone. As Manboobs fired a birdie in at 14 after finding rough off his tee shot, I thought it was as good as over.

Then when I got home, I checked the web and guess what Monty has holed a 40 ft. putt for 3 on 17!! I ran to the radio and switched on Radio 5 Live. At that point Manboobs has slashed a wild drive off 17 and Monty had smacked a beauty off the 18th tee!! Game on for Mrs. Doubtfire. Could this be divine retribution for the Scot, finally his first major!!

Then in a moment it all went. From nowhere PM manages to hack one onto the 17th (by all accounts shot of the day!!). And then the radio commentator makes the fatal comment. "So from the right side of the fairway with the pin cut on the right side, Colin's ball is lying perfectly. In fact he couldn't walk down there and put it in a better spot...his mid irons are his strength...just somewhere on the green Colin...a nice smooth 7 iron" followed by an Twhackkk!!! an awful shot!! He couldn't have put it in a worse place.

FFFFUUUUCCCCC>>>>!!!!! I'm not saying it was easy for him, but man that was his chance. He has had a series of unfortunate events in the past, but that just sounded like one poor shot right there. Yes, it's pressure, but I guess that's why the Scot will never win a major!!

So he had 30ft for the par, he missed and I switched off the radio and went to sleep, in the full belief that Philly Mick was the new champion.

Then this morning I switched on my laptop to see some dude called Ogilvy won it!! WTF??? Hefty must have chunked it down 18 pretty bad!!

And that guy must think that Chrsitmas has come early. I mean I never really factored him in at all. But it looks like it all came down to the final 4 holes and he went Par, Par, Par, Par which was better than anyone else.

PM - Par, Bogey, Par, Double (+3)
CM - Par, par, Birdie!!!!, Double (+1)
JF - Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey (+2)
PH - Par, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey (+3)

Another US Open goes by.....

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
IrishGolfer said:
...Hefty must have chunked it down 18 pretty bad!!

And that guy must think that Chrsitmas has come early. I mean I never really factored him in at all. But it looks like it all came down to the final 4 holes and he went Par, Par, Par, Par which was better than anyone else.

PM - Par, Bogey, Par, Double (+3)
CM - Par, par, Birdie!!!!, Double (+1)
JF - Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey (+2)
PH - Par, Bogey, Bogey, Bogey (+3)

Another US Open goes by.....

Bob Costas interviewed The Man/The Mick after Saturday's round and all but kissed his feet and handed him the trophy. Mickelson, in a rare display of self-effacing humility, said: "Hold on Bob, you're skipping ahead a bit here; I've still got 18 holes to play." He should have said that he had the 18th to play - as poorly as he could possibly have played it. And he did. And he lost.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Monty's face all night looked like a bullgdog licking piss off a nettle!

I don't know what that means but it's my new favorite saying. :p

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IG;

A great analysis....

How Jim "Loopy" Furyk plays so consistently is anybody's guess.

Manboobs blew it - after everyone really thought he had Command of How to Win a Major.

And Monty blew it as well...brainfarted it worse than Manboobs because he was looking at a regular approach from a Garden Spot in the fairway.

I have said here and I still maintain that the USGA is on an Ego Trip to generate the highest scores relative to par of any major.

They should look at the 'rankings' of the Majors by fans who consistently rate The Masters as #1. Augusta National members can set the course up (even now with the added yardage) for 1) accessibility/scoring or 2) survival/defensive golf - depending on tee and hole location. The USGA has no such imagination.

The US Open has become a "Last Man Standing" tourney....

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Eracer said:
Bob Costas interviewed The Man/The Mick after Saturday's round and all but kissed his feet and handed him the trophy. Mickelson, in a rare display of self-effacing humility, said: "Hold on Bob, you're skipping ahead a bit here; I've still got 18 holes to play." He should have said that he had the 18th to play - as poorly as he could possibly have played it. And he did. And he lost.
I noticed that interview as well. Sure looked like Costas was sucking up to Phil.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.