• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to do

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
My company golf league's matchplay championship is tonight. I've already been solicited to "bring my 'A' game". I had considered bringing my 'D' game, but I'm always up for doing favors.

Anyway, I worked on several critical issues with my instructor last Saturday. They included: Take the club back along the line flatter, quit over-rotating at the top, and maintaining a vertically still head. Easy enough, right?

After the lesson, he advised me to take these new concepts to the course. I played that afternoon and was not comfortable with my swing at all.

My question is, do I attempt to incorporate these concepts when I play tonight, or should I just go with what I'm used to and work on those things later?

There's also plan C: Fly Rock down here to play for me.
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
buddha33 said:
My company golf league's matchplay championship is tonight. I've already been solicited to "bring my 'A' game". I had considered bringing my 'D' game, but I'm always up for doing favors.

Anyway, I worked on several critical issues with my instructor last Saturday. They included: Take the club back along the line flatter, quit over-rotating at the top, and maintaining a vertically still head. Easy enough, right?

After the lesson, he advised me to take these new concepts to the course. I played that afternoon and was not comfortable with my swing at all.

My question is, do I attempt to incorporate these concepts when I play tonight, or should I just go with what I'm used to and work on those things later?

There's also plan C: Fly Rock down here to play for me.
If it doesn't feel comfortable yet, play your usual swing. If you truly have been working on it, some parts may be ingrained anyway and show up. When on the course, you really should be thinking target and envisioning ball flight anyway, not thinking about mechanics. My .02.
 
OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
bdcrowe said:
If it doesn't feel comfortable yet, play your usual swing. If you truly have been working on it, some parts may be ingrained anyway and show up. When on the course, you really should be thinking target and envisioning ball flight anyway, not thinking about mechanics. My .02.

What the hell does this have to do with the fact that women shouldn't be in the military?
 

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
2,207
276
buddha33 said:
What the hell does this have to do with the fact that women shouldn't be in the military?
Nothing. But I do favor a don't-ask, don't-tell policy for them.
 

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
6,545
4,979
Resort to dirty tactics...

Buddah

Don't even try and get technical for a big game. It will F*** you up (your F game, right?). Just play your current game and work on the other stuff at the range, until it becomes second nature.

Just think about slow loose full swings. Sure maybe keep the head still as your only swing thought. Good luck.

If its match play and you really want to win (and not afraid to resort to dirty tactics), try this one...(especially if your pitted against a playa). Ask your opponent if he / she breathes in during or at the top of the backswing. Make sure to drop it in casually in the conversation and then don't mention it again..it gets them every time. Like shooting fish in a barrel!

But pretty low punch though. :028:
 
OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #6
IrishGolfer said:
If its match play and you really want to win (and not afraid to resort to dirty tactics), try this one...(especially if your pitted against a playa). Ask your opponent if he / she breathes in during or at the top of the backswing. Make sure to drop it in casually in the conversation and then don't mention it again..it gets them every time. Like shooting fish in a barrel!

But pretty low punch though. :028:

LOL. This is brilliant. A passing comment about cupping his wrist at the top might help too. Thanks for the tip. :D
 

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
3,986
3
Irish thats really mean......but really funny. I'll be trying that soon on a friend of mine. :thumbup:

Buddha, you should have been with me yesterday if you want to see the result of taking something you are working on to the course. Sucked doesn't begin to describe my play. It was just a practice game with friends so big deal, but no way I would take anything new to championship match. Good luck. :)
 

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,801
1,083
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Buddha, I'll be on the next flight. :D

Bring your A game. That means go out and expect to play well. Don't try and kill it, play within your own game. For the first few holes, play an extra club to the green. Trust me, it works. It's a mental thing that you say to yourself "I have plenty of club here, so i'll just hit it smooth". You won't leave anything short.

Hit the driver on the first few holes. If it tanks, hit a 3 wood for a couple. Then, go back to the driver. Even if those 3 woods tank, go back to the driver. It's all a mental thing.

Oh, and forget your lessons. The course is nowhere to be trying newly tested theories and lessons. That's all about the range.

If you feel good going out there, you'll play well. Just keep a level head and joke around. The more comfortable you are, the better you will play.

I have faith in you man. I know you can play well. You just have to beleive in yourself and trust your skills. You've hit the shots before, maybe just not all in the same round, so they're in there. You just have to be focused and relaxed enough to find them.

Cheers Buddha. Let me know how it goes. If you run into trouble, hum the "Final Countdown" song by Europe. I'm tellin' ya, it works......lol.

R35
 
OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #9
Alright, so it seems the consensus is to work on the swing changes during the championship round tonight.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, fellas. I will try to play within myself and have fun. A Bud lite or two will help that along quite nicely.

If your ears are ringing at 7:30 tonight (est.), that's because I hit my 57th and 58th shots in your honor.

Peace---

<insert Farting Cleveland smiley guy>
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
IrishGolfer said:
Buddah


Just think about slow loose full swings. Sure maybe keep the head still as your only swing thought. Good luck.

buddha:

Even before I read Irish's reply - I thought to myself, "I wouldn't make any changes or have any swingthoughts except keeping the head still".

The good news about keeping your head still is - it is a simple concept. You don't have to think about body positions/juxtapositions, whether your left earlobe is ahead of your navel at the top, etc. That stuff can get complicated and frankly takes Months to put in your swing.

I also loved the inhale/exhale thing. Funny about how golf makes the world very very small. I've heard that one for years. It's a scream....and if you can get someone to Really think about that - it can Truly screw them up bigtime. A Classic Mouthwedge.

Good luck tonight. Take it ONE shot at a time and let us know how it goes. :thumbup:
 

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
21,801
1,083
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
buddha33 said:
<insert Farting Buddha smiley guy>

I think that's what you meant.




Go hard tonight. If you win anything, we all get to split it.

I HOPE IT'S SANDALS!!! :D


R35
 

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
94
0
Take a deep breath, then exhale fully

Before each shot, take a deep breath, exhale fully. Clear your mind. Commit yourself to enjoying every shot, no matter what happens. You may be very pleasantly surprised.
 
OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #13
The company golf championship is ours!

Here's how it went down:

I hit a bucket to loosen up. Drank a beer to relax the head.

Grabbed my 3 iron on every drivable tee.

Remembered what Rock said and clubbed-up on the first approach. Laced the ensuing 4 iron to within 20 feet.

I didn't try any of the new concepts except to keep my head still.

Hit several great flops and bunker shots to get up and down.

Drained three putts from outside 7 feet (one from about 30).

Finished 5-2-2 over the 9 holes. The rest of my team finished a collective 8-9-10...so my three point spread put us over the top!

I finished with a 48...if I string two of those together, I'll break that pesky 100. Hopefully I can take the karma to my round tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tips, guys.

<<Farting Buddha smilie>>
 

Bravo

Well-Known Member
Aug 27, 2004
5,822
15
Great job.

You came in there with a sense of purpose and focus and got it done.

I nominate you to be Captain of the 2006 American Ryder Cup team.
 
OP
buddha33

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
390
0
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #15
Bravo said:
Great job.

You came in there with a sense of purpose and focus and got it done.

I nominate you to be Captain of the 2006 American Ryder Cup team.

Thanks. I would shock the world by stocking half the team with players from the Champions Tour. Hale Irwin, Jack, Gary Player...those guys would play with some purpose.

BTW, do you guys have power yet? Jeanne looks like she could be nasty to FL.
 

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Top