• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to focus on now?

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
So, over the past 6 months, I have dropped my handicap from 21 to 15 and am still falling. My personal best is 83, which I've done twice. My question is, what's the next phase of my game I really need to hit the next step on?

Driving: Lately, I've changed my focus on my driver, and I am trying to hit low rolling drives. If I hit my drives in the air, the tend to not be on target. At setup, the club face is almost at a negative loft angle, and my hands are way out in front of the ball, however this is the best I've struck the ball lately. My drives probably average round 260, which I'm happy with as long as I can keep them going straight with a very slight draw. I probably hit 9/14 fairways or so.

Irons: My distance is great. My irons aren't as long as most people, as from 170 yards, I will hit either a hard 7 or normal 6 iron, and I see plenty of people hitting 8 irons that far. But my irons go as far as I think they do, my problem is hitting them at the target. They usually dont hook/slice, but they go straight and not where I want. Right and left about the same amount, not one way or the other. So my greens in regulation are usually low, maybe 5 or 6 in a round.

Wedges: From 100 yards in, I have trouble getting my distance correct, but in the last 2 weeks I have improved big time. My chips are getting better, but it is still hard for me to get up and down from anywhere within 15-20 yards from the green.

Putting: My putting has dramatically improved, as three putts are almost non-existant, even from 50 feet. My putts from 5 feet and closer are going in, but from 10 feet, I rarely make. They are going in more often now, but still rare.

So should I focus on my drive accuracy/distance, iron accuracy, wedge control, or making the 10-20 foot putts?

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You're a little bit ahead of me, but I am in a similar transition. I continually work on all of the above. It's how I practice that has changed. I practice as if I am playing. Chip/pitch and then putt till it's in. I do it with as much intensity as when i'm playing. So on and so forth.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
No matter what the handicap, you should be working on wedges and putting. This will always be the best way to turn three shots into two.

That said, work on your iron play. If you are hitting a 7 iron around 170, try this for a while. Take one more club with your irons than you think you need and hit it with a "half swing" that feels like your lead arm is stopping parallel to the ground. You'll hit a lot more greens in regulation. Irons are meant to be hit with control to exact distances.

🔥 Latest posts