• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what type of driver is best?

tresc2003

Aug 6, 2008
hi there, iv recently taken up golf. been playing for about 4-5 months, and maybe 2-3 times a week. bought myself a set of steel shatfed irons for £170, and can hot my 9 iron 140, and my 4 iron goes about 200 yards. my 3 wood, an orlimar 15 degree goes about 230, but my driver which is a 10.5 cube faced dunlop flexi shaft goes about the same distance. This leads me to believe that its down to the quality ( or lack of) of my current driver.
With my current driver, i have a mid to low trajectory but i think this is because i have a closed club face to iron out a slive of about 10 yards. the closed club face probably drops the degree of loft on my driver to about 7. this is guesstimation. iv been told my a scratch golfer that a flexi shaft means more of a slice and a stiff shaft will decrease my slice to nothing at all. it isnt that bad at the minute.
This leaves me with a few questions.. stiff or flexi shaft? 9.5 or 10.5 degree? what model of club? at the minute the 9.5 stiff taylormade burner is looking like my best bet, and i was doing some research inot what club to buy and then the phrase swing speed came up. i have no idea what my swing speed is and dont have a clue were there would be the facilities to find out near me.
Would anyone be able to advise me from the stats iv given on what type of shaft and degree of loft i would be best suited with for a driver? if i could add more distance off the tee then i could aim to get my handicap down to about 12 in my first year which i never expected. I think im a big hitter, and this sways me towards a stiff shaft. Any ideas? thanks, Andrew

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Welcome to Shottalk!

and whatever fits you the best bud.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I've been through several drivers the last several years.......I have a Nike Sasquatch sumo.....its a great driver......I can hit it well. I bought it from someone on here that didnt like it at all......so that just goes to show you, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
yea, the only way to tell is to try them. People always compliment my driver, but I can't hit it at all.

🔥 Latest posts