• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What wedges?

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I got my new set of irons (Acer XP905s) thanks to the advice I got here. Man what a difference. My solid hits are about the same but my misses are straighter and longer. I also miss a lot less.

Now I need to add at least another wedge to the bag. I hit the PW about 120, 130 is a really smack, a nice partial swing goes around 110.. My SW is about 90-100.

My thought is to pick up a 60 degree wedge to use inside 100 yards and for around the green. I've heard real good things about the Cleveland wedges both the CG14 and CG12. The online specs say my PW is 46 degrees and my SW is 56.

I figure I need at least a 60 to see any real difference from the SW. The two seem to hit close enough together that I'll probably hold off on anything in between them for now, at least until I play with them a little to see how the distances really shape up.

Any and all advice is welcome.

DH

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Take a look at these
Maltby Milled Wedge Heads
I used one of the heads recently -really impressed with the milling on the face and it felt great when I tried to hit it
or the club pack
M-Series Milled Wedge Club Pak
for the price, I don't see how you could find a comparable wedge
They're also doing free shipping until the 4th with this code
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/attac...s/8474d1214831231-pendulum-swings-e063008.jpg

I called them yesterday with a question and the woman I spoke to mentioned that they're doing assembly (including loft/lie adjustments) for $5/club right now (instead of the normal $10)

for $25 shipped for a nice new wedge, I don't see how you could beat this with a stick - you could order 3 for less than the price of 1 cleveland or vokey

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I would also recommend picking up a 52* and the 60* if you already have a 56*
maybe even have the 52* bent to 51* to split the difference between your 46* and 56*

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008
Congrats on the Acers, pretty nice aren't they? I'm in a similar position and i play a cheap nicklaus golf 60* lob wedge use it mainly for chips and close in shots, but like rick said it's nice to have something in between a PW and SW. I'm probably the last person to ask about wedges, but it seems like everyone has a titleist vokey, cleveland, or Srixon.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You don't need another wedge, unless you play on tight lies and need a high-lofted wedge with low bounce. Every shot you would use a lob wedge for can be made with a sand wedge, unless it's from a tight lie.

Look at bounce, not loft.

OP
D

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll play with my SW a little more. I've never hit any SW very well because of the bounce, I always feel like I loose control of the club. I'm sure it is my technique. I usually use the PW with a partial swing unless the lie is really bad.

DH

loftgolf

noob no more!
Jun 13, 2008
Now I need to add at least another wedge to the bag. I hit the PW about 120, 130 is a really smack, a nice partial swing goes around 110.. My SW is about 90-100.

My thought is to pick up a 60 degree wedge to use inside 100 yards and for around the green. I've heard real good things about the Cleveland wedges both the CG14 and CG12. The online specs say my PW is 46 degrees and my SW is 56.

DH

I hit my clubs about the same distance as you. I have a 60 degree wedge that I also thought would help my short game (60-70 yards). I practiced with this club and now hit it a pretty consistant 100 yards. If I try to take ANYTHING off this club, I take a 7' deep divot and the ball goes 10 feet!

🔥 Latest posts