• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would the pros use?

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Watched a bit of the Players on Sunday. The announcers were talking about Paul Goydos and his Long Beach Dirtbags ball cap and his lack of major sponsors. They were talking about how the equipment sponsorship money has really dried up, except for a few guys. Apparently he was offered a lot of money on the Friday to wear someone's cap and turned it down as he did not want to "change the mojo".

Goydos used a Cleveland XLS 3-wood, awful looking Taylor putter and I couldn't tell what the driver or irons were from the bit I saw. Driver did not appear to be Cleveland. He does have a glove and ball deal and the logos to prove it from Titleist.

Personal preferences aside, my question is, what ball, driver, putter and anything else do you think the pros would use without the marketing monsters that are the equipment companies?

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
This was Paul Goydos' bag when he won in Hawaii last year:

Driver: Titleist Pro Titanium 905S 8.5°
4 Wood: Callaway 4 Plus Steelhead
5 Wood: Callaway 5 Plus Steelhead
Irons (3-9): TaylorMade rac TP Forged
Wedge (SW): TaylorMade rac 54°
Wedge (LW): Cleveland 485 60°
Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball
Ball: Titleist Pro V1 Prototype

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
They would use what's best for their game. And, by Goydos's bag, he does and has no affiliation with any single company.

But, his track record sucks too, so that might say something too. :D

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Personal preferences aside, my question is, what ball, driver, putter and anything else do you think the pros would use without the marketing monsters that are the equipment companies?
I think they'd go with whoever gave them the best fitting service. IMHO most pros can adapt to any equipment if it's properly fit. So, if TM offers Sergio a better fitting package than Titleist, he'd play TM.

Tour vans would play a factor in this decision, also.

Irish

May 9, 2007
Goydos' bag is probably a good indication, they'd play with whatever floats their boat, he played a D2 driver, XLS 3 wood, TM RAC MB irons and a Spider putter, he probably just plays whatever feels best when he demos stuff....

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lol, he may not have any deals but all those club will be given for free. The pro at my local driving range gets free clubs for petes sake, just taken delivery of AP2s and spanking new wedges, plus a D2. If Goydos wanted them he could get them in minutes.

However, getting paid millions for playing a certain club is different. Don't assume just because he doesn't have the visor on he can't get free clubs. There will be reps at Goydos club every week desparate for him to take their gear.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I think there is a balance between money now v. money later.

There are lots of examples of players who changed sticks because of lucrative $$$ contracts, then found that they couldn't hit the things sideways and old clubs started creeping silently back into their bag, masked with tape etc.

Then again there are players who can adapt their game to the new sticks. But it would be a foolish man indeed who tried out a new set of sticks, hated them and still signed a deal.

It's whatever makes you play better right? The old pros of yesteryear used to play with mongrel clubs, acquired over the years, but they all turned out to have similar characteristics to that player's ability.

Of course there is the other route available to those guys at the top. Where you can command input into the design (like Woods and Michelson, who both ditched Titleist and went to Nike, Callaway on the proviso that they input into the design of the clubs.)

But the single biggest example of this debate is Woods himself. Nike have probably spent gazillions on developing a copycat Scotty, and would offer Woods even more to play it, but they still can't get him to switch.

Why? Wood's flatstick is his money club. He can endure drivers going miles off line, he can put up with wedges that fly too far, don't have any feel etc. But he is the "boss of the moss" and he wouldn't change that putter for all the tea in China.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I But he is the "boss of the moss" and he wouldn't change that putter for all the tea in China.

Ahem. The Boss of the Moss is Loren Roberts. At least he was the year before last. This year his putting, while still excellent by my standards, has fallen off.

But you knew all that. :)

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
So the underlying theme here is whatever works best. Would it be fair to say everything is equal, but different?

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Did anyone read payne stewarts book?? He goes indepth into a time when he changed clubs cause he thought he could hit anything and he completely dropped off the map cause he couldn't adjust. I would say these guys that are "jouneymen" so to speak just hit what is comfortable to them much like we do. They can just get clubs easier or cheaper than we can. When I was at the Heritage on Wednesday they had bags of putters on the green and clubs on the range. I am sure if one of these guys snagged a putter that worked well for them on the practice green it gets bagged that weekend. Didn't someone win not that long ago with a putter they bought from a retail store??

I don't disagree this may not be the best way to go....based on his track record.....but he is a two time pga tour winner and pocketed 1,026,000 for a tidy second place finish yesterday....

Jason

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Ahem. The Boss of the Moss is Loren Roberts. At least he was the year before last. This year his putting, while still excellent by my standards, has fallen off.

But you knew all that. :)

Ahem, I was aware of that boy, but we all know who is the best putter of the modern era and so is the real "Boss of the Moss" or maybe "CEO of the short stuff". I don't think anyone can deny that putting is Wood's strongest point, especially when it matters.

OP
The Salt Vampire

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
I don't disagree this may not be the best way to go....based on his track record.....but he is a two time pga tour winner and pocketed 1,026,000 for a tidy second place finish yesterday....

Actually they said in the broadcast that he goes this way because he feels it gives him the best chance to play well. Also, Goydos does this because there is way more prize money available on the PGA Tour than there is for endorsements for a player like him.

🔥 Latest posts