• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what would you do?

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
No Knack Hack said:
Maybe he could teach me to hit a 5 iron 210-240??
How does he do with a 3 iron? 250+? Who needs a driver if you can hit irons farther than most golfers hit their drivers?

Drivers: Most new golfers can't hit drivers. It took me about 4 years before I could use a driver with any assurance. But then I'm not naturally talented as your friend seems to be.quote]

That's where it really goes horribly wrong. Every tee shot is a five iron, if he pulls out his 4 iron or anything longer you might as well consider the ball lost (or very wet). There is obviously a confidence issue. He de-lofts the club face a lot and his Wilson irons seem to go about one club further than my Mizunos which no doubt helps him achieve this feat.

Re: Drivers, it took me 14 years and umpteen drivers before i felt confident enough to stop using my trusty 3 wood off the tee.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
EnglishGolfer said:
How can i get him to change when he hits such a huge ball that everyone gasps at? Should I even try?

Tho his swing is unusual to the extreme, isn't it his business? I got a golfing buddie that has such an out to in swing on the tee that you have to watch where you park the cart. Proper golf manners says all i can do is watch the woods on the right to see where his ball went in.

But I know your frustration, would love to work his swing path, drives me nuts, but all I can do is deal with my own swing faults.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Amen Doug.

I too have a friend who has a swing to die for, meaning I want to die everytime I see it. He aims about 45 degrees to the left, and swings across THAT line. Every single shot with his longer clubs hits the ground about six inches behind the ball before contacting the ball (brings new meaning to the term "bounce".) His tee shot actually goes fairly straight about half the time, though his tee shots never go more than about 180-yards, both due to a wildly opened clubface. After way too many badly sliced shots I hear "God, I suck...".

I want to scream. I want to buy him lessons. I want to videotape his swing and help him.

I play better when I play with someone who swings better and doesn't have such a negative attitude.

But - and here's the rub - I want to keep playing golf with him, because my game is my responsibility. His game is not my responsibility. I need to continue working on learning how to handle situations and people that don't fit in my comfort zone. It's easy to focus on my game when I'm playing a competitive game. It's easy to focus on my game when I play alone. Not so easy when I allow myself to mentally judge the other player.

Obviously, if a playing partner is "over the top" screaming, cursing, throwing clubs, etc., then the prudent thing is to politely let them know that you refuse to play in a situation like that. I mean, a man's got to know his limitations, right?

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Eracer,
I have about 7 people i play with off and on. My father, who used to play well but now in his 80's and getting a little rougher, but i can now finally beat him on occasion. the regular 3 on sunday, two hacks and one that is even compitition with me and very good for my game. Play with the hacks cause they are better friends than golfers. a few odd others on occasion and one young kid that can drive most people nuts.
my point is the young kid. he just has a way of saying things that is plain annoying. not overly mean or rude but he just gets under everyones skin, wouldnt let him near my sunday foursome, they would beat him to a pulp by the third hole. But he is a decent golfer. I have to work to beat him. And i play with him because its good practice tuning his crap out and not letting him mess with my game. Being able to focus and keep in the zone despite him and his comments makes me a better golfer. So despite his flaws he serves a purpose for me and helps my game. needless to say i dont go for a beer after the round with him but do feel I accomplished and improved after playing with him.
sorry for the ramble

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
People like that make one want to learn to play with an iPod attached.

I think that some people just need to irritate others. They love to get under your skin, as it gives them a sense of power. I still haven't learned how to deal with those types. Do you "grin and bear it", all the time trying to calm yourself down ("I will not scream...I will not scream...") Or, do you confront them immediately, letting them know in no uncertain terms that you and they are going to have a major problem, and that you will solve it very quickly. Like your regular foursome, who would just "beat him to a pulp."

The hacker friend I play with has been my good friend for 15 years, and I play with him because he is my friend. I probably would never join a regular foursome with him - not because he's a hacker, but because of his negativity. I would choose not to stay in that situation. Am I saying that I don't have a choice when it comes to playing golf with my friend? No, because I choose to play golf with him, faults and all. The same way he choose to play with me - faults and all. That's what friends are for.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
i take the attitude that if they are an ass, thats their problem and dont let it be my problem. thats the point - YOU need to block them out, remove them from your world. It's like if someone is talking on the tee box as you are addresssing, if you let it get to you, you are a goner. thats what this kid does for me, i can zone him out. All focus is on the ball. I work to not let a slow group in front of me get under my skin. And I hate to think I would ever be guilty of slow play so I really have to not let a fast twosome behind us make me rush.
This kid i refer to sounds a bit like your hacker friend- always a negative whine- missed the putt cause just as he took the stroke someone on the next tee coughs, bad drive cause the birds started chirping etc.
RE: play with them faults and all.- kinda like the joke about John telling his wife he and fred wont be playing together anymore and so she asks why. He replies "would you play with someone that steps on your line, improves his lie every shot, talks while your hitting, doesnt count all his strokes and never buys a round?" She thinks and says "no, i guess I wouldn't". He then says "well neither will Fred"

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Right, right, and right. But my friend is not that whiney, actually. He just says "I suck" a lot. And he does...

I have the gift of being able to "zone out" as well. I'm pretty immune to distractions. I mean, you can't stop the birds chirping, can you?

And I try hard not to feel rushed by fast players in back of my group, especially if we're keeping up with the group ahead. Sometimes I do get rushed, though. I think the whole emphasis on faster play is getting out of hand. Courses are making tee times 8 minutes apart, in order to get more groups through each day. That just doesn't work. Everyone gets more rushed, makes more bad shots, spends more time hunting for those balls, which slows play, and causes more rushing, etc., etc., etc.

Golf is supposed to be a leisure activity. I don't want to feel like I'm standing in line throughout the entire round. The business of golf is creating assembly-line courses where you are met at the gate, pushed along, and politely shuffled out the turnstile at the exit.

I agree that some people are slow players, and need to be taught how to play faster. Frankly, I think most "Player's Assistants", i.e. Rangers haven't the foggiest notion how to do their jobs. And American public courses need to institute handicap limits. Players who can drive the ball 280 yards, and hit one fairway per round, and play to a 22 index, should NOT be allowed to play from the back tees. Period. And if you are not a 15 index, you should not be allowed to play on the TPC at Sawgrass. From any tee box. I don't care how much you want to play the 17th hole. I played there once when my index was probably a solid 24. I think I shot 140, had a dreadful time (though I did par the 17th). Point is - I had no business playing that course at that stage in my game.

I heard in an interview that Tiger's dad used to bang pots and pans together, scream at him, and generally make himself a major annoyance while Tiger was hitting shots on the range and the practice green. All to get him used to focusing on his shot and tuning out the distractions.

My question is - if Tiger can't handle distractions after all that training, how the heck are we mere mortals supposed to?

Of course - we're not putting for the Masters championship when the camera goes off.

Sorry - I'm in ramble mode this AM.

Hawkeye

Golf is where it's at!
Aug 27, 2005
I like the golf lessons for his birthday, but maybe a DVD on how to swing correctly might help as well.

You shouldn't try to change him, but help him see there's more to golf than brute power! Learning some fundamentals will turn him into a Pro... or at least you can make him believe so!

PJ

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Just so you all know, I officially give up trying to change him. I (ever so poltely) suggested that he should just have a go at gripping it the conventional way when I noticed he was spewing them all over the place his way, just to see if it made a difference. As expected he hit 3 of the worst shots I've ever seen and he looked at me like I had just peed on his clubs and that was the end of it.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep taking his money
icon10.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online