• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you do??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Felt like I was being viewed on the television show, 'What Would You Do'. One day this past week, stopped into a grocery store in a town some 200 miles from home. As I was walking across the parking lot from my truck to the store, a 30-something looking female was headed for her car. She was pushing a shopping cart with some groceries and had what I would guess as a 4-year old little boy running along beside her.
The little boy ran ahead to their car and tried, but couldn't get the back door open. He wasn't tall enough and/or strong enough. "Mommy, Mommy!"
Immediately, the female shouted loud enough for the entire parking lot to hear... "Don't start that sh**, you little b**tard!! I've got my hands full with these f**king groceries. Can't you f**king see anything?"

So... what would you do?
1.) Walk over and tell the female to apologize to the kid or you would allow him the opportunity to see her teeth knocked in?
2.) Get a license tag number off the car and call 911, reporting what you had seen/heard?
3.) Keep going into the store and not stick your nose in other people's business?

I chose option 3... and I've not slept well since. Making a split second decision, the other two options seemed to have potential for additional problems.

Had I involved myself and called her on her actions, I risked her retaliating with a firearm or other means. Even if we simply argued in the parking lot, she might well have taken it out on the kid when they returned home.

Option 2 would have been relatively easy. Yet, to make a police report and have them pursue the issue could well have seen me needing to return for court appearances, etc. And, what could the police have done on here-say?

Option 3 seemed the best at the time, yet my conscience is bothering me for not pursuing it further. What other options were there? Again... What would you do????

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I understand your choice. I would have most likely done the same thing.

At the most, I would have pointed it out to her that her response was not appropriate.

It is not the old days anymore...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I hate that kind of stuff, but I also believe that if she'll talk that way to her kid, she'll talk that way to me and still feel like she has every right to do it.

I actually would've taken the tag #, called the local police dept (not 911), and reported what I saw. I would've told them I didn't want to give my name, but felt someone should check into it.

I've actually done that before for other reasons. The police were appreciative, checked into the situation (it was on my street, saw them drive by), and never contacted me again.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Unfortunately I would've chosen option 3. It wouldn't have been the first time she had spoken to the child like that and won't be the last. Rationalising with her would be like trying to explain to an ignorant person why they're ignorant. It's impossible. I feel sorry for the child.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It is not the old days anymore...
Probably 20 years ago, my wife was in a local pharmacy. A little kid had the cap off a bottle of shampoo, running down the aisle pouring it all over the floor. No parent in sight. My wife said, "Young man, where's your mother? You really shouldn't be doing that!" About that time she heard this lady begin yelling, "Don't you EVER correct my child!!" Said she was actually afraid the lady was going to physically assault her. Some 20 years later, the kid is probably doing 10-15 in the State pen.

65 +/- years ago, I was with my dad in a small town repair shop. I picked up two small washers, played with them while he and the mechanic talked, and stuck them in my pocket. When we got home, my mom found the washers in my pocket. Dad immediately loaded me up and back to town we went. I had to take the washers back and apologize for taking them. Yes... amazing how times have changed.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Limp this kind of stuff really pisses me off, fortunately you probably saved the kid an ass whooping and at the very least more verbal abuse. It sucks. :(

Last edited:

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
If she treats her child that way, it is doubtful that she would value anything you have to offer so speaking to her would only ease your conscience.......and she just might strike out at you in some way. Calling the police so they could alert the local social services is not a bad idea. That option might help you feel like you tried.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Option 3 is the only viable one, what she said to the kid while not right is also not against the law. It's not on you or any of us to police all the parents in some attempt to get them to always do the right thing.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.