• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you do?

What would you do

• Play from the whites after buying a new magic driver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Respectfully, would like to argue that just a little. First, how far should an 80 year old hit his 5-iron? On a good day, I can still hit my 5-iron 150 to 155. I'm the longest hitter in our group. We have one in our group who hits his 7-wood from 150. Another hits his 3-hybrid. We have a couple guys who use their 7-iron from 100 yards. When a body gets up in the 70's to 80's, the ability to hit "flat-belly" yardages isn't there anymore. We have a couple par 4's that are 380ish from the senior tees. Another will play almost 400 yards if the greens crew moves the tee to the back of the box. (Usually, it's another one that is right at 380.) How far do these geezers hit their drivers? 200? 220? 230? Most are hitting their best drives barely over 200. A 200 yard drive on a 380 yard par 4 leaves 180 in. That is a well struck 3-wood for some of the guys. I have to hit a really bad drive to have a 5-wood in on a par 4. I do have days when I will need my 4 hybrid or 5 hybrid. My 5 hybrid is good to about 175. 400 yard hole. 230 yard drive. 170 in.

The yardages that can be assumed "typical" go out the window with the old guys. From mid 60's on, my experience is seeing yardages per club all over the map. To suggest someone is playing the "wrong" tees if he has to use more than a 5-iron for a par 4 second shot would disqualify a number of the seniors at our course from even being on the course. IMHO, rather than specify a certain maximum club one must use... 1.) Play the tees and use the clubs you feel confident and comfortable from the distance you have to the green, and 2.) Play the game to have fun, not make the game unenjoyable because you know you need a 3-wood from 150.

Ok, if you are hitting 200 yard drive and a 150 7iron (170 5iron) then the par fours shoub be about 370. If the forward most tees are still two far back, its ok... your index will translate to a course handicap, and all will be even for scoring. If there is a more forward tee, PLAY IT. We had a great granny's league years ago, and they wanted us to mow the fairways back closer to the tees because they couldn't reach the fairways. The superintendent put out forward tees for them and they refused to use them. We have a group of guys that some play white, some gold, and some play green. Some say they get to play the greens when they are years old, I say play what ever tee box you want at any age, that's why there is a handicap system. To make it fair for all players on an equitable basis.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I say play what ever tee box you want at any age, that's why there is a handicap system. To make it fair for all players on an equitable basis.

There’s a sign I saw on Twitter that hangs at the first tee of a course, and of course I can’t find now. But it reads the normal stuff; replace divots, fix ball marks, pace of play... but the last comment is the best. “Play the tees that make you the happiest!” I think a lot more people could take that sentiment and maybe enjoy the game a little more?!?

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
“Play the tees that make you the happiest!”

liit.jpg

🔥 Latest posts