• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would you remove from the bag.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Lately I have been carrying around too many. Here are clubs in my bag and the typical shots I am hitting with them.

Here is what is in the bag:
Driver 285 to 315 yards
3-wood 225 to 250
19* hybrid 220 to 240
21* hybrid 185 to 230
3-PW Titleist Blades
3 wedges 50, 56 and 60
Putter

The clubs I use the most are in order of use:
Driver
7 Iron
19* hybrid
8 iron
50* wedge
P Wedge
60* Wedge
9 Iron

The clubs I use the least would be the
5 Iron
4 Iron
56* wedge
3-wood

I am a single digit handicap. I am very long and accurate off the Tee and I usually have a 7 Iron or less for approach shots. I struggle with half shots and prefer to always be able to take full aggressive swings. I struggle most from inside 60 yards. Shortgame and putting absolutely kill me. I have the long game of a tour player and the short game of Ray Charels (just kidding but if I had a good short game and putting I would easily be scratch)

I added the two hybrids this year and I love them. I particularly like the 19* for tee shots on par 4s where shot placement is more important than distance. Most people would take the 3 and 4 iron out of the bag when they add hybrids but I do use the 3-iron quite a bit for shots (particularly trouble shots) where a hybrid would be useless. With the 3 iron I hit all sorts of shots ranging from a 150 yard banana cut to a low 175 punch or hook punch or a 220 yard shot into a green.

I am thinking of taking out the 4 iron and 56* wedge. What do you think?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
You have a big overlap with the 19º and the 3 wood. I would drop one of them.

You don't give the distances you hit your irons. You might get some better responses if you give that data.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006

You don't give the distances you hit your irons. You might get some better responses if you give that data.

This is a good point, the other thing that stood out to me is this. You play Titty blades and carry a 50* wedge. What is the loft on your Titty PW-if its a 690mb and many of their other models chances are its 49*. That's an overlap that could be eliminated.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

The three wood has definately seen alot less usage since I got the 19* hybrid. I have two particular holes where I use it for the tee shot every time. Other than that I only use it to try to reach par 5s in two. I used to use 3 wood for tee shots on about 6 holes on my home course but now I am down to two. I am far more accurate with the hybrid than the 3 wood.

Irons. The 3 Iron overlaps with the 21* hybrid but I can't work the ball the way I want with the hybrid. The 21* is also useful on long Par 3s and for tee shots on short par 4s.

My yardages with the irons are typical with my 7 Iron 80% swing being 150 to 160 yards.

I am also contemplating replacing my 3 wedges 50* 56* and 60* with two a 52* and a 58*.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
This is a good point, the other thing that stood out to me is this. You play Titty blades and carry a 50* wedge. What is the loft on your Titty PW-if its a 690mb and many of their other models chances are its 49*. That's an overlap that could be eliminated.

The stock 690mb P 48* wedge and my 50* Vokey are pretty close but not much of an overlap. The 50* gets alot more spin and is about 5 yards shorter with the same swing.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The stock 690mb P 48* wedge and my 50* Vokey are pretty close but not much of an overlap. The 50* gets alot more spin and is about 5 yards shorter with the same swing.

I just re read the original post, what I did with my set was take my 3 wedges 51*,56* and 60* and just drop down to a 54* and 58*. That has seemed to work well.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
GW and PW are the same club, pick one. I'd keep the PW, dump the 50 and 56, get a 54* SW. Keep the 19* and dump the 21 or the 3i. I play too many courses with long par 3's not to have an 18-19* and a 21-22* club. Of the courses I regularly play, par 3's range 191, 200, 201, 219, 219, 229, 231 ect.. I hit 3i or 2i/5w on every one of these so have to have them.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Lately I have been carrying around too many. Here are clubs in my bag and the typical shots I am hitting with them.

Here is what is in the bag:
Driver 285 to 315 yards
3-wood 225 to 250
19* hybrid 220 to 240
21* hybrid 185 to 230
3-PW Titleist Blades
3 wedges 50, 56 and 60
Putter

The clubs I use the most are in order of use:
Driver
7 Iron
19* hybrid
8 iron
50* wedge
P Wedge
60* Wedge
9 Iron

The clubs I use the least would be the
5 Iron
4 Iron
56* wedge
3-wood

I am a single digit handicap. I am very long and accurate off the Tee and I usually have a 7 Iron or less for approach shots. I struggle with half shots and prefer to always be able to take full aggressive swings. I struggle most from inside 60 yards. Shortgame and putting absolutely kill me. I have the long game of a tour player and the short game of Ray Charels (just kidding but if I had a good short game and putting I would easily be scratch)

I added the two hybrids this year and I love them. I particularly like the 19* for tee shots on par 4s where shot placement is more important than distance. Most people would take the 3 and 4 iron out of the bag when they add hybrids but I do use the 3-iron quite a bit for shots (particularly trouble shots) where a hybrid would be useless. With the 3 iron I hit all sorts of shots ranging from a 150 yard banana cut to a low 175 punch or hook punch or a 220 yard shot into a green.

I am thinking of taking out the 4 iron and 56* wedge. What do you think?
I'd pull the 3-wood. You only gain 10 yards over the hybrid. Thus, one of those two clubs is redundant. It sounds like you use the hybrid off the tee. Lose the 3-wood.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Don't buy new wedges just drop the 60 and open up the 56 if your short sided. I'd also drop the 3 iron as you'd be able to use a hybrid for the same distance.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'd dump the either the 3 wood/ 19, 21 or 3 iron, or the PW/AW. Those combo's seem redundant to me.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
My son is a single hcp and similar distances.He has dropped the 3 wood and the 3 iron. The hybrids are NIKE CPR??? If so that's what he plays too. Anyway grip down on the 21* hybrid and you have the 3 iron. As for wedges you can keep the three iron and drop a wedge if you are creative with the wedges. Depends on the strengths of your game. He choose the extra wedge as he felt more strokes are to be gained about the green.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I don't think I would ever take out the 3 iron. That 3 Iron has gotten me out of more bad spots than I can count. The 3 Iron is my favorite club for shaping shots. I would take out the 4 and 5 before I would get rid of the 3. Many probably wouldn't understand that since most people have such a difficult time hitting a 3 Iron. For me the 3 Iron is a confidence club. Sorry, but there is no good way to shape shots with a hybrid and nail yardages with a hybrid like I can with a 3 iron.

PS. Perhaps the greatest golf training aid ever created is the blade 3 Iron. The best way I know to groove a good swing is to practice with a blade 3 iron.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I don't think I would ever take out the 3 iron. That 3 Iron has gotten me out of more bad spots than I can count. The 3 Iron is my favorite club for shaping shots. I would take out the 4 and 5 before I would get rid of the 3. Many probably wouldn't understand that since most people have such a difficult time hitting a 3 Iron. For me the 3 Iron is a confidence club. Sorry, but there is no good way to shape shots with a hybrid and nail yardages with a hybrid like I can with a 3 iron.

PS. Perhaps the greatest golf training aid ever created is the blade 3 Iron. The best way I know to groove a good swing is to practice with a blade 3 iron.

Completely understand. Eric has his 3 iron in an out of the bag depending on the course. That may be one way of looking at it. If it's tough to decide then tailor the bag for the course you are playing. It's another dimension to "thinking" golf. For example, when I play a course that features cut able doglegs the hybrids are in and long irons out.

kdp86

Club ho no mo!
Dec 10, 2008
I am in a very similar situation with you distance wise, and club choice wise. You can see in my sig what I am using. I dropped my two "trouble clubs" which were my 15* 3 wood and Cleveland TA1 2 iron and replaced them with a Titleist 585h 19* hybrid. My reasoning is this; though the 3 wood goes farther both off the tee and off the grass, it is much harder for me to hit. I typically have always been a much better and more consistent iron player than woods player, which is why I originally got a 2 iron instead of a 5 wood, and why I now love this hybrid so much. I hit it about 20 yards longer than my 2 iron, and 20 yards shorter than my 3 wood, but the truth is, for a low handicap player like myself, and probably you guessing by your club choice and dilemma, accuracy and consistency is more important than distance. The 2 iron was great off the tee, but challenging off the grass, so I rarely used it there with great results. The 19* hybrid is insanely easy off the grass in comparison for me, so much so that I decided to only carry 13 clubs right now. It is a little longer off the tee than the 2 iron and just as consistent, so no need there, and choking it up to knock off 10-20 yards off the grass is insanely easier that the 2 iron off the mat. All this to say, if I were you I would drop the 3 wood, it's unnecessary. If you love both the hybrids, keep them both, though I bet you could get away with just one of them. Here's my real suggestion, your wedges are gapped in a strange order, from 48* (PW) to 50 to 56 to 60... 2, 6, and then 4 degrees apart. Not to be pompous, but do what I did. 48*PW, 54*, 60*, all 6 degrees apart, and about 20 yards in distance. It makes calculating your approaches much easier. If that just doesn't work for you, I say drop the 3 wood and 21*. Hope that helps - Kenny.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.