• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

whatcha think?

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
my father in law is a pretty good golfer....2 weeks ago, his boss and the CEO invited him and one other guy to go to play golf. He throws a 79 on them,...everyone else shot 90 or higher. They called him again yesterday to play agian this morning. He said he should have shot better than the 79. I told him he better let one of them win, he said he couldnt play that bad:p..........If he whoops them by 10 or 11 stroke today, takes some more $ from them, they might get alittle upset.......do you think he should lay down or what?.....he said he was gonna try to beat them by 15 strokes. The CEO plays 4 times a week.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Never lay down for anyone, anywhere.

100% agree... the CEO would see right thru that. They want him to play his best. I've played twice with the CEO of my company (real big talker, flashy kind of guy) and I waxed him both times.

I'm just a SW engineer, I have no visions of climbing the corporate ladder LOL

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Tell him to beat the daylights out of him. Show no mercy. Most CEO's have massive ego's and need to be taken down a notch anyway. Besides the guy will respect him more for not laying down.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Agreed - play your best. Take their money, then buy lunch and drinks after. If it's the CEO's club, then send him a nice bottle of wine or something.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
He should beat them, as long as he's a good sport about it.

Any good leader will respect that more than rolling over to appease someone's broken ego (real or perceived), IMO. If the CEO is what I'd consider a good leader, he may lose alot of respect for someone who takes a dive.

OP
DaGris

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
he shot a 77 today, boss shot a 89, CEO shot 88...............He asked them "same time next saturday?".........they said yes, why not?!..........I told him maybe they were trying to set him up....he said theres no way, both of them were playing at their best. They were even asking him for some pointers.......I was invited to go with them today but I'm stuck at work. His boss is a cool guy, I've never met the CEO but he said you would never know the guy worth a fortune...

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
Since I'm a CEO, I wanted to put my .02 in. I have no respect for suck-ups, ass-kissers, and yes-men. If a guy takes a dive thinking he's going to suck up to me, he's done for advancement with me. If he was to throw a game with me, then how would I know that he wouldn't roll on me if he thought a better deal was waiting for him with a competitor. Taking a dive isn't showing loyalty, it's showing a lack of integrity. An employee without integrity is an employee who will sell you out in a heartbeat. If an employee beats me in a round, then I have MORE respect for him. If he's gracious in the win, then I would want to play more with him (if he's an ass, then I won't include him again).

We all like a challenge and we didn't get where we are by shrinking from a good scrap. A guy who can beat me would drive me harder.

Besides that, we all can smell a suckup, ass-kisser a mile away.

Lemonhead

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Since I'm a CEO, I wanted to put my .02 in. I have no respect for suck-ups, ass-kissers, and yes-men. If a guy takes a dive thinking he's going to suck up to me, he's done for advancement with me. If he was to throw a game with me, then how would I know that he wouldn't roll on me if he thought a better deal was waiting for him with a competitor. Taking a dive isn't showing loyalty, it's showing a lack of integrity. An employee without integrity is an employee who will sell you out in a heartbeat. If an employee beats me in a round, then I have MORE respect for him. If he's gracious in the win, then I would want to play more with him (if he's an ass, then I won't include him again).

We all like a challenge and we didn't get where we are by shrinking from a good scrap. A guy who can beat me would drive me harder.

Lemonhead

You wouldn't believe how glad I was to read this. That's the way it should be.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Hate suckups, hate ass kissers, and absolutely hate people who let people win (this one is not definite, I let my gf beat me at mini golf, but thats different;), plus she knew i let her win anyway, kinda obv when she's actually seen me golfing...).

My dad played with his boss, he's a CEO or somethin high up in his business and they had a younger guy play with them who they both knew was a really accomplished player, whose shot in the low 70s at club events and such. Showed up that day to play with them and fired a 89. This wasn't a just "played bad" day, this was so obvious he was trying to hack it up to help the boss beat him (who is about a 12-13 hdcp).

He has never been asked to play again.:laugh:

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008

Unfortunately, that's not true. I've reported to a couple CEOs who couldn't tell shit from Shinola... and no, those companies weren't particularly successful. In particular, they were susceptible to the influence of people who simply told them what they wanted to hear, instead of what they needed to hear.

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
There are leaders, and there are people who merely hold the title of "leader". They aren't the same.

I, too, have at one point worked for a company where "yes" men got promoted. The CEO ended up getting fired, the company lost almost all it's accounts, they laid off 80% of the staff and are now merely subsisting on maintanance fees.

My statement applied to the former, not the latter. Besides the guy you were referring to, may have know he was getting sucked up to, but liked it more than he liked running a successful company.

Lemonhead

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
They didn't ask him to play again because they were upset he beat them. They probably want to pick his brain for tips. Whip their ass!!! :D

🔥 Latest posts