• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's for dinner?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have three racks of pork ribs and a bunch of beef short ribs that are going to be going on the smoker tomorrow.

Hopefully I remember to get some pics for y'all.

noIZLHW.jpg

2.5hrs smoke, 1.5hrs wrapped, and 30 minutes out of the wrap to crust up the bark again. They were over done IMO, but since most of my family loves fall off the bone ribs, they were perfect. Couldn't even cut them as the meat was falling off if you tried to pick it up.

Baby backs cook faster than spares....I usually do this time table for spares and they come out perfect. Stays on the bone when you pick it up, but comes off cleanly when you bite it.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
noIZLHW.jpg

2.5hrs smoke, 1.5hrs wrapped, and 30 minutes out of the wrap to crust up the bark again. They were over done IMO, but since most of my family loves fall off the bone ribs, they were perfect. Couldn't even cut them as the meat was falling off if you tried to pick it up.

Baby backs cook faster than spares....I usually do this time table for spares and they come out perfect. Stays on the bone when you pick it up, but comes off cleanly when you bite it.
YUM!!!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Family loved them.

I also did some beef spare ribs, and the flavor was absolutely amazing, however, I didn't cook them long enough and they were a bit tough. This was my very first time doing those, so I have a better approach next time.

I'm probably doing a brisket, two pork butts, two racks of spare ribs and some beef ribs for 4th of July....I need a bigger smoker....

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Nah, my folks and I just aren't that into it. I get a lot of compliments when I do grill, and propane is just quicker and easier. I've got a lot of respect for those that put in the effort you do (I have friends that hate propane as well), but I doubt I'll convert until I'm retired...if I'm ever retired.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I don't know about faster...Easier sure.

I can have ripping hot coals in 10 minutes with lump charcoal and a chimney starter. Steaks are 1.5minutes per side, rest 5 minutes and I'm eating. Most people I know with gas grills need 10(or more) minutes to warm up to steak searing temps.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I don't know about faster...Easier sure.

I can have ripping hot coals in 10 minutes with lump charcoal and a chimney starter. Steaks are 1.5minutes per side, rest 5 minutes and I'm eating. Most people I know with gas grills need 10(or more) minutes to warm up to steak searing temps.
I don't sear, I cook my steaks slow to about a medium rare middle. So, you might actually cook faster than me. But, I'm probably eating at the same time you are. Ultimately, as long as everybody eating enjoys the meal, it's just a different means to the same end.

I am interested in the whole charcoal side, just not enough to do it now. Just like I have a cast iron skillet that's never been used...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Reverse sear is where it is at, boys. Roast over indirect heat at 350 F for 15 mins or until center gets above 120 F, open up the vents and let the dome temp get to 500+ F and sear for about 90 seconds a side. Perfectly medium cooked steaks.

Add in some pecan hardwood during the roasting for that great smokey flavor.

Last edited:
OP
azgreg

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Reverse sear is where it is at, boys. Roast over indirect heat at 350 F for 15 mins or until center gets above 120 F, open up the vents and let the dome temp get to 500+ F and sear for about 90 mins a side. Perfectly medium cooked steaks.

Add in some pecan hardwood during the roasting for that great smokey flavor.

dsc_0028.jpg

🔥 Latest posts