• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats the best shot you have ever played

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
I thought this might be a interesting thread.What is the best shot you have ever played ? I will start the ball rolling shall we say! I suppose certainly one of the most difficult shots i have played which actually came off "for a change" was a couple of years ago.I was playing a pairs matchplay event against another club.
I had a second shot to the green about 140yrds out which is about carry distance for a wedge,i was in the semi and caught it a bit thin.It hit the back of the green with a hard bounce and went about 10yrds through some trees.When i got down to the green the trees were about 30ft tall, no real way underneath so i thought maybe over the top ? Now my partner is out of the hole so i have to play a good shot.The flag was about 2 yards from the back of the green and the trees about 3yrds from the edge of the green.I took a 60 and opened the face, the ball carried the trees landed 4ft past the flag and spun back to about a foot.I must admit i took the pi*s and gave a little bow to the applause.It was a one off shot all i wanted was to hit the green for a putt.The thing was i played a similar shot later in the round with almost the same result golf is a strange game.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, 1 of 2....

First off, hole in one from 200 yards. Tiered green, it was on the front tier. I land it on the front of the green, it rolls 10 feet into the hole.

Or for bad situatons, I hit an aweful approach(2nd shot, par 5) and land it well short and well left. I have to go over a tree and am in such high weeds that some of them are reaching up and touching me where only I let women touch me. I putt out the 52* because it's about the right distance and it has a low bounce, and lay everything into it to cut it through the rough. After finding it through the haze of bushes, I follow it and it lands about a foot from the hole. Couldn't believe it.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
the most recent one that comes to mind was last yr.about 3 weeks into league.the reason was it was a called shot almost to perfection.

about 75yds out.i told my partner that i was gonna hit an a wedge right of center and that the wind would bring it back just past center and then it should release to the hole with the slope.

to my supprise after i hit the shot i knew it would be ok but as it started to come down i knew it was almost as i had called it. it finished up 8" in front of the cup for a tap in birdie.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My 159 yard ace this summer. Water in front of the green. Trees behind. Sand on right side. Tall weeds and rough on left. Bridge over water to walk on. Tee about 20 feet above on top of hill looking down. Hit a super high shot right on the pin. Watched it come down and lost it. No bounce, roll or anything. I knew I hit it long enough for the wind in my face (one club more) and thought it was off the back. Looked and wasn't on the green. Went to the back and couldn't find it. Glanced in hole on way by and there it was, a "slam dunk"!!

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Playing at a course near Indianapolis last week, and my drive took me to the left in the light rough, with some trees covering my approach to an elevated green , only leaving the far right 10% of the green showing from my lie. The flag was just inside the line of the edge of the trees, and if I played a straight shot (or any hint of a fade/slice) the ball would miss the green totally and fall away about 10ft below the green level, probably in a bunker.

I tried to remember everything I'd ever read about how to hit a draw, and could remember the closed stance, strong grip, shoulders pointing where I wanted the flight to start, how the club should be in my follow through, and grabbed my 7i with more hope than anything. To my total amazement the shot just got a tiny bit of draw on it - the first time I'd ever managed that on purpose! - and curled back around the trees to land and roll to 6 inches from the hole, and an easy tap-in for birdie.

As someone with under a year's playing behind him, who's only broken 100 just 3 times, the first time just a month or so ago, I was grinning from ear to ear for the rest of the round!

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I have 2 also, long par 4 slight dogleg left, Perfect drive on this hole is 280 to land center of fairway and straight into the green. I told my son I was going to hit the 150 pole and I stopped 5 feet past the pole with my drive.

I also have my one really good putt that came in a scramble event 18 feet for birdie. I have hit many good drives, none quite as perfect as the one above, but I have only ever had 1 really good putt.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ohhh, make mine 3. It's not the best shot, but one heck of a chip. I was just left of a bunker, which at my home course is deadly. The ball was sitting about a foot and a half below my feet in 10"(not exxagerating) rough. I'm thinking, oh goody! To top it off, 20 MPH winds. I just line myself up expecting the wind, take a good swing with the LW, balls comes out clean, bounces, rolls, and drops. Couldn't believe it, wish I had it on video.

tyler88

Lays up on par 3s
Sep 27, 2006
My best shot was after a horrible drive, the hole is a 395 yard par 4. I pushed my drive to the right and end up on the side of a hill 4 trees 10 yards in front of me, I am 130 to the hole so I;m thinking PW but Im not sure it will get over the tree so I go with a 52 and figure I'll chip after and save par. I catch the ball perfect even though its above my feet and it hits about three feet into the backdrop on the green and rolls, and goes in.I didnt see it because of the tree but saw the ball mark on the green and then the ball in the hole. My one and only Eagle

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I have 2. One is a drive that went 380 yards through a 5 yard approach on to the 10th green on my home course. It was a perfect shot because it's a dogleg right with OB all down the right so I drew it to perfection. At the time the grond was super hard so it bounced about 70 yards.

The 2nd was 2 weeks ago, my first shot with my 50* Vokey wedge. I landed it on the top tier, spun back, lipped out, and went back another 15 feet. It was just amazing for the first shot that I hit with it. I made the putt as well

Poison Ivy Golf

Oct 1, 2006
A few days ago I had 136 in a stiff wind for my second shot on a par 4. I hit a little knockdown 8 iron low under the wind. It hit 3 feet out from the pin and it looked like it barely bounced. Then it vanished almost like the beer I drank celebrating!!!

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
Oh ... so many to choose from!! ... not!

One of my favs was a 40 foot putt with a break of almost 5 feet. I was playing with a total stranger who happened to know the course. And all afternoon he was giving directions as to where to hit the ball ... and amazingly enough I hit about 75% of my shots exactly where he said!!

So I come to this green and the break doesn't seem to be as exaggerated as he says but I take his advice and I CAN STILL SEE THAT PUTT IN MY DREAMS! A beauty of an arch ... and dead center!

Wish I could have those more often [sunk a 30 footer this summer that was nice too!]

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Most recently was a long chip from 10yards off the green on a par 5. I pulled a tee shot badly and managed to punch it between 2 trees. From the rough my 9iron got yanked open and I pushed it right. This green is easily the toughest on the course. It has a slope that is much faster than it appears and is very hard to read unless you know it. I dropped the GW chip exactly where I was aiming and it ran down, breaking right towards the hole. Clink, it dropped and the other guys cheered. Boy was I happy to make a birdie chip on a green that yeilds many, many a 3putt.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
one that springs to mind for me was a few weeks ago - birdie putt on a par5, of about 30 feet or so. As i was walking onto the green, the greenkeeper comes along with his tractor gizmo thing and some guy driving it - spraying the greens with some chemical green stuff. Anyhow - i presume he's gonna go round my ball, but he sprays the WHOLE green. I thought - well that's knackered any chances of a good putt - with both line and ball green and wet.
So - i promptly knocked it straight in - right infront of them both!!

:cool:

oh - and a few years back i holed an 8 iron for eagle on a par 5 after a poor attempted layup :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online