• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

whats the best shot you have ever seen

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
Just thought this might be an interesting topic.One of the best shots i have ever seen was during a pairs matchplay against another club.We were on the 9th hole par 5 which happened to be our last as we had started on the back nine.
The match was all square my partner put his drive ob.I was giving a shot to both opponents so i had my work cut out.Both players in the other team hit poor drives and 2nd shots to about 50yrds past my drive.I took my shot from 200 out and hit a cracker to about 18inches from the flag a certain eagle the match is ours i thought.The first guy misses the green to the right and plugs in the bunker now hes got to sink the bunker shot for a half.
His partner who is about 150 out or there abouts knows he has to get it close and sink the putt for the half.He hit a fantastic shot straight at the flag it pitches short runs up the green hits the flag and straight down the hole.I had lost the hole and the match after scoring an eagle it turns out he had only ever had one eagle before and what a time to get his 2nd one.I have seen many great shots but that one sticks in my mind.:ukflag:

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Ben Hogans one iron 1950 last hole to win the US Open at Merion.Wish I'd seen it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I saw a guy get an ace once. That was cool. He was a hack golfer too, which made it even more sweet.

I have two myself, but both were short holes. 7 iron for one, PW for the other.

I also saw a guy sink an albatross once. First hole, par 5. Hits a super tight drive down the pipe into the valley where it rolls up to about 185 out. Grabs a 5 iron and one hops it into the hole for a deuce. I will mention that his personal record on the course is a 66, so it's not like he's chopped liver.

I was also present when a guy slammed a deuce on a par 4 from the fairway. However, it was beyond dark and we both never saw it go in, only "heard it"! :D

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
A few memorable ones

Allenby hits a 3 wood to about 5 feet for birdie on the long par 4 18th in driving rain at Riviera to win a 6 man playoff.

Tiger's 218 yard 6 iron out of the bunker over water to win the Bell Canadian Open in 2000.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
dave. said:
Ben Hogans one iron 1950 last hole to win the US Open at Merion.Wish I'd seen it.

Not to nitpick Dave, but this famous shot, immortalized in the famous picture by Hy Peskin of Life, was to tie Lloyd Mangrum and George Fazio, on Satuday.

Hogan won on Sunday in an 18 hole playoff.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
You are correct,I was just deliberatley bigging the shot up.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
VtDivot said:
Tiger's 218 yard 6 iron out of the bunker over water to win the Bell Canadian Open in 2000.

Was the that the one featured on his triple DVD pack where he has one foot in and one foot out of the bunker and hits the ball up and over the lip and over a tree. That is seriously unbelievable. Has to be *the* best of all time, does that....!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Andy_79 said:
Was the that the one featured on his triple DVD pack where he has one foot in and one foot out of the bunker and hits the ball up and over the lip and over a tree. That is seriously unbelievable. Has to be *the* best of all time, does that....!

I think the shot you are referring to was the 3 iron into the 18th at Hazeltine in 2002. I forgot about that one and had to google it. Very impressive shot!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Nicklaus
Pebble Beach, 1972 U.S. Open 1-iron into the wind on 17th, hit the flag to within 6 inches

One of the first golf shots I remember seeing live on TV

2nd is probably his 1 iron in the 1975 Masters which I saw that day.
I was to young for the one at Baltusrol.

Next was probaby on 17 at Pebble Beach in '82 when Watson Chipped in and beat Nicklaus.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
1987 Ryder Cup,Kuala Bear Island,or whatever its called,maybe not even that year,but Seve hit a 3 would 250 yards out of a bunker with a huge lip,which meant he had to aim 30 yards left and cut it back in.Which he did,and stcuk in feet from the hole.The hole was cut just over another trap,he had basically nothing to land it on.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
How about some non-pro shots?

I think one of the best I've ever seen was a single that got paired up with us...this little Japanese guy who didn't talk much...wasn't long, but man that guy could nail it straight. He played to about a 6, I think he said.

He hit a 5 iron on a quite difficult par 3. It's about 175 or so, the green is nasty, and missing the green will land you either in some kind of trouble and leave whatever attempt you make to get close to the pin near impossible. He hit perfectly to about an inch and a half. He was in total awe, said it was the closest he ever came to an ace.

This is a shot of the hole, it's a bit hard to tell what's what because of the sun, but the darker green just in front of the kinda back stop looking area with the 3 little trees on it is where the green actually is.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
VtDivot said:

I think this is the best shot I ever saw him hit....

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Honestly; try and access watching the one I speak of here. It is in Tiger's mind the best he himself has ever hit. It is truely shockingly amazing and ought to be sought out and watched (in amazement ... !) :)

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Two guys in the NTPGA championship. On 18 the first guy is a stroke down and pulls his tee shot into a dry creekbed. The other guy stripes one down the middle.
We found the first ball on a gravel bed with a tree about 20 yards directly in front of him and another guarding the green.
He is 190 out and picks a 5 inon that stays under the first tree and hooks around the second and stops 4 inches from the hole.
The other guy chokes his second shot into the oak and it drops behind, he bogey's and looses the championship.
That day I learned to never give up.

🔥 Latest posts