• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what's 'wedge flex'?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am hoing wedges at the moment,many say 'wedge flex' and I've never heard of it.I hate reg flex wedges,I use extra stiff S400,so I doubt wedge flex will be any good,but I am curious what on earth it all means.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Wedge flex is a softer flex, sometimes anyways.
To elaborate. TT wedge flex (only available in taper tip) is actually an S300 shaft tipped for a 9 iron head. The added weight of the wedges create a slightly softer profile. So if you play R300 shafts already, your wedge flex TT shaft will actually be stiffer than the rest of your set. If your are using parallel tip shafts and want to have a wedge flex, simply tip trip using the 9 iron referance and then butt trim for length.

Rifles wedge shafts (spinners) I believe have a softer tip section and a lower bend point. I am not 100% sure how much softer in flex they really are, and I dont have any to measure. Maybe someone else can chime in.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Been away all week. Glad to be home. Helped a buddy do some reno work after a big fire. Fire sucks bit time.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Lyle

TT as in True Temper or Taper Tip? and what does shaft tipped for a nine iron head mean?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
TT= true temper.

Iron shafts are tip trimmed differantly for each iron head.

for example 1/2 inch for 3 iron, 1 inch for 4, 1.5 for 5 and so on in 1/2 inch progression. This is to compensate for the increased weight of the clubheads as they get higher in number. So instead of trimming 5 inches off the tip for a wedge, they only trim 3.5 for example. This softer tip along with the added weight of the wedge head make the shaft play and feel softer. This helps primarily with half shots where it is harder to flex a stiffer shaft.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
No good for me,I hit 50 yarders hard,I hate flex or quite probably a softer tip.

ps thanks

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Not when trying to compress a 50 yarder it isn't.On my driver yes,wedges no,nasty stuff,work of the devil.I need the shaft to do as its told.Hold the loft,and come down hard when I tell it.I have a reg flex wedge,got it for a tenner to see what the head was like ( very high bounce),its frigging awful,I have no control at all with it.Bounce is my friend,flex is not.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I hit wedges pretty hard too, I dropped in a DG X100 into one of my 588 RTG's and it lowered the ball flight significantly. I have a new Callaway X-Tour 54* with the standard off the shelf wedge flex and I will be testing it out tomorrow. Might have to throw in one of the Black Gold shafts I have here now.

🔥 Latest posts