• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's wrong with my downswing?

jon.b

Sep 22, 2013

Please watch my swing on youtube and give me some insight. Why does my swing look sooo ugly!?! My follow through and finish looks very strange but I don't know why I've recently altered my backswing to be flatter (was very upright). I have been hitting pretty straight and it feels effortless. The video was a 7 iron that went roughly 150 yards straight. I checked it slow motion and I was hitting in the center of the club face. Ive also checked videos from the front and I don't have a chicken wing yet my lead elbow looks very strange as I get to my finish position. Please help

OP
J

jon.b

Sep 22, 2013
Here is my impact position

Attachments

• 1386200160355.jpg
    1386200160355.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 91

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
You say you've been hitting the ball pretty straight... and it feels effortless. Go play golf!! We all can't have picture perfect swings. Lots of money was won, over the years, by ugly swings. Trevino... Chi Chi... Then, we got all hyper about everyone having similar swing dynamics. Too many, IMHO, suffer paralysis through over-analysis. If you are hitting irons straight, go work on your short game. Chip and putt. You will trim way more strokes off your scorecard that way, than worrying about "looking good" through your full swing.

Sheesh! Sorry! No offense meant. We just need to remember it's a game all about getting the ball into the hole with the fewest number of strokes. Few of us do that "pretty".

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
yeah go play.

somebody told you to use a 7 iron as some sorta ideal club for this. you dont know who. you dont know why.

grab a 5 and a 9 and practice and dont worry about why. just check out how the angles make differences for you. I bet the 5 fades. if it does you might consider the influence that droopy laid off back swing is having because it looks like as you begin to swing you are looping up and getting higher at the top. its pretty easy to come in steep with a shorter iron, but a longer 4 or 5 can show the outside in, lost energy etc from that position. all of those are a result of going back on one plane and trying to come back on another or at least adjusting as you come down.

Bubba Watson said amatuers dont realize how far inside or outside they have to bring the club to make a draw or fade. i know i still fight getting back far enough to smooth it all out.

one observation you can make is when your shoulders are turned as far back as the can be but are still not at a good deep right angle to the ball, try setting your feet closed more so you can comfortably get to that deeper position. Or try cockin your head and looking at the ball out of your left eye also, cause if your face is looking at the ball your neck will stop you from going further back (Jack N). Im not saying this is perfect, just that getting the takeaway plane and swingplane synced up with a longer stick might come from changing a few angles and getting out of your own way. Same with wedges.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Two of the best golfers that I know have unorthodox swings. The moment of impact is all that matters. I've heard to look out for those low cappers with ugly swings. Don't bet with those guys, they'll take your lunch money. I think I read that in a book somewhere.

If a swing fault is causing a nasty miss then some changes are in order...but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Two of the best golfers that I know have unorthodox swings. The moment of impact is all that matters. I've heard to look out for those low cappers with ugly swings. Don't bet with those guys, they'll take your lunch money. I think I read that in a book somewhere.

If a swing fault is causing a nasty miss then some changes are in order...but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.
I have always liked that "moment of impact is all that matters" thought. I spent a large part of my high school years trying to have a moment of impact with some sweet thing, but they never were interested in just the moment. I really didnt get my setup right until college. Thats when I started getting everything lined up and started putting my shots in the holes with a enough frequency to enjoy the game.

OP
J

jon.b

Sep 22, 2013
Thanks guys. Im gonna try with a long iron tomorrow and see what the ball flight is like. I just like using a 7i for when I make any kind of swing changes because it's my most consistent club. I think there is a little bit of a loop to my takeaway but it's the only way I know how to make a more laid off backswing. And with that backswing it feels more natural to get to impact. When I had a more upright swing it was battling an over the top downswing. I tried dropping my arms early to avoid it but that too was a loop and I was hitting off the toe. I guess it's better for me to have a loop during my takeaway which is more controllable then mid swing

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
If the ball goes where you want it to, don't worry about the how.

If you have to do three plea's two pirouettes and the splits before hitting the ball to get 300 yard straight drives every time....own it.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
If the ball goes where you want it to, don't worry about the how.

If you have to do three plea's two pirouettes and the splits before hitting the ball to get 300 yard straight drives every time....own it.
What are plea's and pirouettes? Is that a WI thing?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
What are plea's and pirouettes? Is that a WI thing?

Actually it's spelled Plie(pronounced plee ay) ...I did spell Pirouette correctly though...

Those are ballet terms...and the only reason I know those words is because my daughter was in ballet for a while...I have zero idea as to which moves they coincide with...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Actually it's spelled Plie(pronounced plee ay) ...I did spell Pirouette correctly though...

Those are ballet terms...and the only reason I know those words is because my daughter was in ballet for a while...I have zero idea as to which moves they coincide with...
Uh huh, okay, twinkle toes.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

Yeah, right.... Those are moves you probably half remember from when YOU were taking ballet lessons! You're just "blaming" it on your daughter so we real men won't know about those pink slippers in your closet!!!!!! Now that we know, that explains a lot.... :D

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
You do something most beginners struggle with: swinging to the inside. I'd love to see the caddy view if you have a shot of it though.

Members online

No members online now.