• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's your best shot of the year?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
As the season winds down for so many...let's remember back and describe our best single shot of the year...

Mine happened last weekend. (after a very average and frustrating golf year for me).

I am standing in a fairway bunker, 145 yards from the 11th green - which is a 'tri-level'...

The front level of the green is tiny so pin placements there can be murder...bunkers on both sides and only 25 feet across. The pin is on the lower level.

20 mph wind blowing directly at me from the North and I've got a big tire mark in my underwear from all the chili I ate the night before. I've belched and farted about 50 times on the front and have a substantial case of hearburn....and a class five hangover from too much vodka after watching Alabama lose a cliffhanger to LSU on the tube.

Take out my 6 iron...two 'baseball' practice swings as I stand in the bunker...

Take the club back and focus hard on the back of the ball.

It flies out defiantly into the teeth of the wind and lands on the green, 12 feet from the hole. I am putting for sandy birdie....barely miss the hard breaking putt, but for once this year - I felt like a golfer.....I belched loudly in satisfaction and went to the next tee...

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I stunk it up real bad this year. real bad.

However, I did have 3 putts over 40 feet (only one was a straight one) and a 20 foot chip in.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
We have a yearly match play tournament at my club and we were all square thru 17 holes. On the 18th I had 140 to the pin. I hit a beautiful 9 iron to 1 ft and made the putt for the win. Best shot of the year because of the timing.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Good story Bravo!!!! Were your golfing partners upwind or downwind??? Just Curious.

So far this year A PUTT. Ball was 20 feet from hole below on the wrong level of a steeply sloped tier. 45* angle to the hole so had to aim about 8-9 feet left of the cup.
As I addressed the ball a stranger who joined me mid round was standing by the cup said "Before you putt that ball you better come up here and look at the break." As I stroked the ball I replied "I know" and drained the putt.

Very satisfying answer!!!!!!:laugh:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
.... and I've got a big tire mark in my underwear from all the chili I ate the night before. ...

Good thing you had that assclench thing going for you, huh?

:biglol:

My best shot of the year was that shot of Irish whiskey I had last night. It was so good that I'm planning on having another one (or two) tonight!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My wife and I are playing a downhill/dogleg right par 4. Her 2nd shot winds up 30 yards back, left, behind a huge bunker to an elevated green. She commences to skull her sand wedge and declare that the club is useless.

I drop a ball, take her SW and put one 2 ft. from the cup.

As I hand the club to her: "Nothing wrong with the club, dear."

Yeah, it got me in trouble...but it was worth it!! ;)

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I teed off on a par three and landed on the back right fringe. The pin was up front and on the left. I chipped in for birdie from about 45 feet. It was down hill, right to left, and had about 3 feet of break. Not only was it the best shot this year, it was the best shot to date.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Great story Bravo.

I think this was this year.

192 yd. par three and I pushed my tee about 25 right of the green. The lie was bad. The ball was so far above my feet I had to grip the club with my right hand on the shaft. The make things more fun the pin was about 10' from the fringe and the green slopes away toward a hazard.

My only goal was to be putting after the shot but instead the ball landed exactly where I planned and rolled neatly into the hole for a birdie.

These are shots that keeps a hacker like me in the game.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
either my 6 iron 2nd shot, from 165yards on a par 5 - stuck to 2 foot. Holed out for eagle...

...or - playing through a 4 ball on the par3 third hole - 158 yards, downhill - into a pretty stiff breeze. They were all on the green, closest about 6 foot away. Water left, bunker short right - and long right, big sloping green from top left to bottom right...

So - i pull a 6 iron, and hit it - all over the flag. Pitches 2 foot past, and ends up 1 foot away. Walked down with them - onto the green, picked it up - and said 'thanks guys!'.

:)

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Not so much shot of the year as shots of the year:

I birdied all 4 par threes on my home course in one round and did not have a putt over 6 feet. Two of them were tap ins that looked like they were going to be holes in one.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
Well I've been lurking around these forums for a while just reading and seeing what other people are saying, and I figured that now would be as good of time as any to start posting...

My best shot this year was on a 150 yard par 3, over a creek with a deep bunker protecting the front of the green and two bunkers long. I hit my 8 iron, a little softer than usual, and it was a little lower than my normal ball flight (I hit it a touch thin) but it cleared the bunker at the front and rolled toward the pin. When I walked across the creek I realized that the ball was sitting about 2 inches from the hole. Thats by far the closest that I have came to a hole in one.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I had so many great shots this year, unfortunately my handicap has leveled off.

Best shot of the year was probably the 19 degree hybrid I hit for my second at the par five seventh at Iron Valley golf club. You need a fade off the tee, and after doing that perfectly, I was left with a slightly uphill second shot, about 215 yards. I walked up the hill to pick out an aim point, as I was hitting a blind shot. I picked a tree and tried to fade it exactly like the tee shot I had just hit. It came off perfectly, right at the tree and cut in nicely. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the ball land, but my partners said it just cleared the bunker and bounced on, narrowly missing the hole. I had a four foot putt downhill for eagle, which I drilled right in the middle. It was nice to play a hole that perfectly.

Jun 24, 2006
Number 13 par 3 195 yards. Pin is tucked front left to a green that runs off to the front. Anything that touches the front of the green is rolling back 10 yards from the front. Bunker front left.

Have a 4 iron in my hands but my playing partner convinced me to hit a 5. Started it at the bunker as I draw the ball (lefty) wind was slightly left-right. Ball came in over the trap, 2 bounces, a little roll, and in the hole.

I had a few more shots that were very difficult that I hit exactly how I wanted and pictured.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
200 yards out. In rough, ball above my feet, next to a fairway bunker. Smacked a 3H and it stopped two feet from the flag and four feet from its pitchmark.

🔥 Latest posts