• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's your best shot of the year?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Yup, I think I am a candidate for DEPENDS adult underwear...:emot-ange:emot-ange
Yep, used to be so much fun to fart with the best of them. Then, old age sets in and you really have to watch for sliders!!!!:laugh:

Wrote about my "shot of the year" on the forum the day after. Bent a nice drive around the dogleg on a Par 4 to about 135/140 out. Got a little too much of an 8-iron and flew it just past the pin to a slight raise in the green. Ball bounced up out of its pitch mark and rolled back down into the hole for eagle!!! Played the hole like I knew what I was doing!! Shocking!!!

5iron

wOw great shos everyone. My best shot mightve been, or maybe my best two in the last 36 holes i playesd( not consecutively 36 though). I had my first two bridies ever, awesome way for me to end the season, or almost end it( hopefully going on monday). First one 3hybrid to the back of the green to like 5 -6 feet for the birdie, somehow drawed the shoit lol, I dont know how. And then a 6 iron to like 2-3 feet. :)

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Ball about a foot off a long, slender green that goes

abruptly downhill from back to front. Ball is at back right so there is a huge left-to-right break. Green is pretty slippery. I played the ball off the toe of my putter and barely tapped it. Ball starts on a line that you would think would have the ball just go off the green, but the slope kicks in just as the ball is losing momentum. Ball starts going downhill and right at the pin which it hits dead center and falls. Ninety footer dead in the center, and if had been off center, it never would have fallen. I hate to have to say this, but this was to save a boggie on a par five.

Holed out from the sand two times, one for eagle. Holed out two pitch shots, both for eagles. But the putt was still the best since that is one of the hardest to putt greens I have played in fifty years.

Cypressperch:miz:

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I really had a terrible year this year, but the worst part for me was it started off with a lot of promise... I definately learnt my lesson this year. But my first tourney after the qualifier, at Mission GC. I went out in 41 and just kinda said to myself lets just go out the back and see what we can do. I just looked at the ball, the hole, thought "how can I do this" (thinkin of the stupidest shots ever, like a 180 yard 3w that went literally 70+ yards left to right). Went out and birdied the first 4 holes and ended up coming back in in 32 for a t-3 73. Past that, every tourney was a under par 9 and then a 44+ other 9... So it was a weird season. Had no mental game at all...

Really the ONLY good round I played all year... But i'm going to change that this spring.

Dawg64

Oct 27, 2006
Best shot of the year.... opening hole of our Club Championship - par 3 first swing of the day. ACE !!!!

Finished 4th overall

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Hmmm...

It has the be the 3 wood I hit earlier in the sumer; 210 into a stiff breeze off a slightly hanging lie. I nailed it to 1 foot for a tap in bird. The shot was good but the timing was great. It was a clincher hole for me, our notorious 17th which is a graveyard for a lot of good scores. I was level par at the time standing on the tee and thinking a bogey was likely playing into the wind.

I was so pumped I finished with a bird on 18 too for a 71 to win a trophy! Fantasy stuff for me!

Canadriver

Nov 26, 2005
I had quite a few long "beauty" putts to my name this year but my absolutely best stroke came on a Par 5 at about mid-summer.

I had not done well on this particular hole [#4 at Osprey Links, Callander, Ontario] with my approach shots. So I was in a deep bunker ... about 6 feet from the front lip, which was about 5 feet from the green. The pin was about 20 feet from that edge and I figured if I could catch a little trough just right I could save par.

As it turned out, it was a perfect swing to the perfect spot and the ball landed softly ... rolled to the pin and dropped! Birdie!
My two golfing buddies almost passed out!!

And, of course, after that unbelievable shot, I couldn't do a thing for another 3 holes!!!! I couldn't get it out of my mind!!

It's one thing to anguish over bad shots ... but great shots can kill you too!!

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
Might already have posted this but my best round this year purely for lack of mistakes was at the Hilton Templepatrick (NI) the day after the ladies had finished the Northern Irish womens open, walking onto the 18th teebox needing a par 4 for a round of +3 (74)
Hit a 4 wood to find the centre of the fairway 30 yards(ish) short of the rather large lake. Wind bellowing across from the right and into my face I counted approx 220 yds plus another few for wind and pin being up the green. One other fella from our fourball had the same net score as myself and had hit a safe second up the right of the lake short of the green so I knew I had to make par at most.
I had the camera with me as it was a presidents day event, anyway, I hit probably one of the best shots under pressure and pretty much exactly where I wanted to put the ball without being unrealistic.
So here is the shot I had left myself after finding the fairway with my teeshot,
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v131_cordobabrendy_DSCF0519.jpg

Then after a practice swing to steady myself, hit it to here,
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v131_cordobabrendy_DSCF0520.jpg

ran the putt up to 1 1/2 feet and walked off the course an extrememy satisfied man, not my lowest round but definately a memorable one as the only mistake I made all day was losing a ball in the rough off the 1st tee.

edit: Ohh forgot to mention, at the start of the season I had a round where I started birdie eagle eagle birdie, -6 gross after 4 holes including rather lucky blind 70 yd chip in over massive trees from the parallel fairway and it all went downhill from there. ended up virtually bogeying the rest of the way in with a rather average +6 finishing score.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Beautiful pix....thanks for posting. Glad to have you here!!!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't know how anyone could actually remember some of these shots. Sure if it's an Ace well that's a given you will remember it, but to recall some shot on an obscure hole 3-4-5 months ago just sounds weird to me.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I remember a few shots I hit while I was in High School in 1976-1978. They weren't hole-in-ones or anything that dramatic but still memorable. Then again, about 90% of the shots I hit in the past round a few days ago I've already forgotten. :laugh:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I don't know how anyone could actually remember some of these shots. Sure if it's an Ace well that's a given you will remember it, but to recall some shot on an obscure hole 3-4-5 months ago just sounds weird to me.

Some peoples minds work that way. If you would look at my handicap score sheet, I could tell you every shot I hit from every round that I broke 80, which is probably 15-20.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I can't really pick anything that really stands out for me. I suppose my best shots were the ones that I actually impressed myself with. Last round I hit a shot from around 100yds. from a fairway bunker to within 2ft. of the hole, unfortunately it spun almost 20ft. back. That one was good because I worked a bit on figuring out how to hit those long bunker shot and to execute one so perfectly, I impressed myself.

brendy

Oct 20, 2007
The only reason its so vivid in my mind is that I had the camera with me to shoot the presidents day and thought id take a pic of the shot I had left to the green then the result (thats my ball right of the flag).
Sometimes the best shots are the ones that get you out of trouble, ie they only cost you 1 shot rather than 2-3 bad ones.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
It's been kind of an off and on year for me. I had a brief stretch where I was actually playing GOLF. Rounds in the low 80's, including my first under 80, a 77. But the rebound effect has kicked in an my scores have soared back into the mid-90's. My last round included a back-nine 40, though, so maybe I'm back on track.

Anyway, my best shots were on par-3's. Both blind shots to pins tucked behind a ridge. At the time I was fiddling around with Jim Hardy's 1-plane swing.

The best was 160 with a 6-iron. I knew the shot looked good from the start. The ball had landed one foot in front of the hole and stopped one foot behind the hole. It must have rolled directly over the hole, so it's the closest I've ever come to a hole in one.

The second was after dropping my tee shot into a bunker. In frustration I dropped another ball and modified my swing to the 1-plane. Again the ball landed in front of the hole and stopped just behind it.

But I can't count it as a good shot, since it didn't count.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online