• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats your carry gun?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
I hate talking about this but I'm 47 and its necessary. My neighbor is retired navy helicoptor pilot. Retired Lt. Commander and ex police chief. My dad gave me a gorgeous s&w revolver that was a stainless with rosewood grips. Wife loved it and wanted it...686.688? maybe I got rid of it after this...anywzy i recalled he had a carry gun that looked similar. Sure enough he had the popo version. So not being a revolver guy I trucked over to inquire about the firearm.
Short story was his gun was discharged in his kitchen in front of my face at 24 inches. He shot through a window in his den. His wife was asleep and never woke. This was a 357Mag. I hate revolvers as old school design that endanger the user by design flaws.

Glock are similiar. I have heard through friends of four american cowboys that disharged rounds into their leg toting chambered rounds in glocks with trigger safeties.

I know of one other that shot hisself in the face fumbling a nightstand glock with his wife next to him in bed.

I hear the Israelis teach their public carry method of modern semi auto pistols to be no round chambered and a sort of "rack as you rise" type approach.

Or consider a grip safety like the 1911 or better yet the springfields have both cocked and chambered round indicators and both trigger and grip safeties in the springfield XD models.

If you carry you care..but be careful.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
But I'll tell ya what, we have had some very serious crimes here in Columbus in some of the best parts of town. There is no such thing as 'safe' anywhere. Crime may be very low but who wants to be that ONE person in a year who gets raped and stabbed to death?
Prevention is always better than the cure. I'd say that with the application of a common sense risk management approach, the prospect of that happening would be miniscule.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
I hate talking about this but I'm 47 and its necessary. My neighbor is retired navy helicoptor pilot. Retired Lt. Commander and ex police chief. My dad gave me a gorgeous s&w revolver that was a stainless with rosewood grips. Wife loved it and wanted it...686.688? maybe I got rid of it after this...anywzy i recalled he had a carry gun that looked similar. Sure enough he had the popo version. So not being a revolver guy I trucked over to inquire about the firearm.
Short story was his gun was discharged in his kitchen in front of my face at 24 inches. He shot through a window in his den. His wife was asleep and never woke. This was a 357Mag. I hate revolvers as old school design that endanger the user by design flaws.

Glock are similiar. I have heard through friends of four american cowboys that disharged rounds into their leg toting chambered rounds in glocks with trigger safeties.

I know of one other that shot hisself in the face fumbling a nightstand glock with his wife next to him in bed.

I hear the Israelis teach their public carry method of modern semi auto pistols to be no round chambered and a sort of "rack as you rise" type approach.

Or consider a grip safety like the 1911 or better yet the springfields have both cocked and chambered round indicators and both trigger and grip safeties in the springfield XD models.

I think I probably had the same old 357. It was my dads but they had the firing pin on the hammer which made me nervous as hell. The Ruger and newer revolvers Ive bought have the transfer bar and a separate pin so the gun absolutely cannot be fired without manually pulling the trigger back.

We also have two NAA MiniRevolvers which are old school design in 22 magnum, but they have a notch between each cylinder so the hammer locks into one of the notches so it cannot fire if dropped and the cylinder cant turn on its own. Pretty basic safety feature for a rimfire revolver.

Im like you most likely. Ive seen just enough happen that i want to make sure the guns I am carrying or am in contact with are as safe as they possibly can be.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Lol if gun users or just people in general had the education your vocabulary indicates you have had then Im sure it would be less of an issue. Some countries have mandatory military training. Another school but similiar safety awareness result.

The fellow had unloaded the gun to show me the details but reloaded it as we got done. I asked one last sight picture question. He pulled the trigger and as you know...revolvers will fire. He couldnt tell a round was chambered looking down the sights. Not true of my xd which has a hinged part that rises into sight view when a round is chambered. But then in their day revolvers were quite modern.

A few blocks from me lives a fellow that lost his lower arm in a premature cannon firing. He ran the powder charge down onto a spark the swab didnt clean out. Old weapons are dangerous to the users. They had revolvers in the civil war. I think given the date they were an improvement over what they had before. 150 years later we have improved some details in usage, metallurgy and design. Why not move forward in safe usage?

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Lol if gun users or just people in general had the education your vocabulary indicates you have had then Im sure it would be less of an issue. Some countries have mandatory military training. Another school but similiar safety awareness result.
The problem may be, however, that the military training isnt enough for some.
I have some friend who have served in one branch or another....two were in the army, one was in the air force and one in the army and then the marines who is still serving in some capacity and also is in law enforcement....and these three guys are complete morons around guns.
The last one had a glock aiming it around the room and then into my gut showing us his new toy so I asked him if I could see it and pulled back the slide and sure enough...a live round popped out and onto the floor. The first guy I mentioned from the army had an accidental discharge with a 1911 into a floor, the second army guy was about as dopey as they get. The air force friend I wouldnt trust with a water gun let alone anything that goes boom.

It might just be my circle of friends or something but I can think of a dozen people real quick that I wont let even look at my guns, military training or not.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah i got that. I completly forgot my college roomy discharging his 9mm through our apt window when he was there alone. I was off some where..came back and noticed the hole. He said he spent the weekend waiting for the police to knock on the door.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Yeah i got that. I completly forgot my college roomy discharging his 9mm through our apt window when he was there alone. I was off some where..came back and noticed the hole. He said he spent the weekend waiting for the police to knock on the door.
We've had gunfire around here before and I think everyone thinks its just firecrackers so they dont call the cops.
Being around guns my whole life its easy to tell the difference but these city folk here just dont seem to take notice unless a bullet flies thru their window.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Mml. I drive on the interstate with those same folks.

Officer i swear i never saw that semi.....

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

All of the issues you state involved someone breaking one of the golden rules of firearm safety. None of those were the guns fault and most of them would happen regardless of how many safety devices were on the weapon.

I understand your concern, but its pointed in the wrong direction. If one follows the golden rules, you absolutely will not have an issue.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
All of the issues you state involved someone breaking one of the golden rules of firearm safety. None of those were the guns fault and most of them would happen regardless of how many safety devices were on the weapon.

I understand your concern, but its pointed in the wrong direction. If one follows the golden rules, you absolutely will not have an issue.

Treat every weapon as if it's loaded.

Never point a weapon at anything you dont intend to shoot.

Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

I've never seen a weapon incident when my men followed these rules. We were made to memorize and recite these religiously.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Im trying to describe a need for emotional intelligence in the use of firearms not just technical intelligence. Good ergonomics is exactly that. Im supposed to do this and that with a golf club and mostly do. But then i screw up occasionally and wish i had hybrid irons or a more adjustable driver or some other technical help.

Oh yeah i forgot the husband of my wifes boss. Discharged a 38 into a marble table. Blew marble frag into his leg. Another "cleaning" accident like my old roomie. And this guy loves guns. Does the cowboy style thing. Reloads his own and all.

It wasnt the guns fault.

I lived in Alaska for about 15 years. I heard a story from a friend about a man that got arrested for shooting his wife with a rifle while she was in the bedroom. He claimed a grizzly chased him into the house and his vigorous slamming of a door must have dislodged a hunting rifle from its shelf and it discharged. Maybe it was a rem 700 but i dont know. Anyway wife came out of the coma and supported the story.

That wasnt the guns fault either but I have read about some of those remington 700s firing unexpectedly so i have different rifles.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Resurrecting a zombie thread.
Enough $hit is going in this world that you never know what will happen in a place you would never expect. I personally don't fear any man and have been all over this country as well as many others and never had a dreaded fear for my life. That being said IF something were to happen such as lets say a shooting at a movie theater and I was there unarmed and unprepared to hopefully deal with the situation, I would feel like crap. So I have decided to carry and just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P .380 Bodyguard. I looked at a lot of various choices, hell I could have gotten a Hipoint for $150 but honestly it was too damn big to carry all the time. Loaded with something like Hornadays Critical Defense rds there will be no issue with lack of stopping power.

I considered a .40 as well as possibly a 10mm but all of them were a lot bigger than anything I wanted to carry. Yes I am aware people do carry them with no issue and thats great for them, I wanted a small pocket sized gun that can literally sit in the pocket of lets say a pair of shorts and nobody will know I have it.

Also signed up for the concealed carry class so I get my permit, don't want to get nailed by the police.

Product Model M P BODYGUARD 380

109381_01_lg.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.