• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats your carry gun?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Nothing technically wrong with any of them. I'm not a big fan of Ruger pistols, the couple I have shot did have failures. Now, Ruger is very good about repairs if needed, however, I feel like way too many of their weapons have problems out of the box. I'm also not a fan of how those pistols field strip compared to the Glock.

M&P is a solid weapon system. Also a weird breakdown procedure...have to push the ejector down before the slide comes off...

Glocks breakdown procedure is very simple, no extra parts have to come off the weapon to field strip like the Ruger. You don't have to push the ejector out of the way like the Ruger & M&P.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Sigs...I have shot a couple of them, but I have not shot the 320. Nothing wrong with them. They are a solid platform. The breakdown of the Sig is the closest to the Glock, as the breakdown lever doesn't come out of the gun, and you don't have to push the ejector down.

Everything else about the pistols is very subjective. I mainly shoot Glock because they fit my hand perfectly and I really enjoy how when I take my shooting position and bring the gun up the sight are always right on target. I also shoot Glock because of their track record of reliability and absolute corrosion resistance. You can abuse these things and they just keep shooting.

If you can't shoot them all, at the very least hold them, field strip them, and see how they feel when you bring them up and put them on target. I bet one of them will jump out at you as 'THE" one. Buy that one. Don't buy it because someone said to, don't buy it because it's cheaper, but it because that one feels the best to you.

ETA: Unless the one that feels best is a Hi-Point...in that case, buy the next best one! :D

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
No hi-point for me. I dd hold em all. The Sig and the Glock felt the best in my hand. Didn't take em down in the store but have watched multiple YouTube vids and am at least familiar with the procedures. The Sigs trigger is awesome. Short take up, nice break with no creep or crunchy feeling. Glock had more of what I would call a combat trigger. The M&P had a killer trigger as well. There were two SR9's. One had a gritty feeling take up and a little creep. The all black one had an excellent trigger. I kinds want the glock cause they're so damn tuff, but Sig has a pretty good rep too. I'm really leaning toward the Sig because of that trigger.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Aftermarket is also geared towards Glock, if that's important at all to you.

I have liked the sigs I have shot, but they don't come up on target for me very well. The angle of the grip is different.

Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Any reason for the G17 over the G19? I think the G19 is the absolute best do-all style handgun in the Glock line up. Full grip, yet small enough to CCW easily, and still good capacity.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
G19 was my first thought but the store didn't have one in 9mm. They did have a 17 in OD green. There is only 20 or 30 bucks difference between the two. My hand took up the whole grip on the 17 and it honestly wasn't as big as I had pictured. I'm a pretty big dude. This pistol is going to be more of a open carry to the range, home defense pistol. I had my CDWL and let it run out a few years ago when I sold my pistols and started playing guitar in a few bands. Next up is to take another training class and maybe a few defensive pistol classes. For that I really want the M&P Shield 9mm. Maybe the G43. The shield is bad ass though. Eventually I'll get another .22 target pistol.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1454610464.186146.jpg
this is on loan from Pop right now. It'll go back when I get mine.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
A question for the gun nuts. Which was the best pistol of WW2?

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I have to say that the most impact was made by the Walther P-38 First True DA/SA pistol IIRC.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
The M&P had a killer trigger as well.

I'm really leaning toward the Sig because of that trigger.

The M&P's have a history of guide rod failures, S&W will send repair parts free but it's still not a good sign.

The Sig P320 is a freakin awesome gun with a killer trigger, I own one in .40 and would put it up against any Glock any day. The breakdown couldn't be easier or quicker too, if it takes you more than 2-3 seconds to strip it bare you are doing something wrong.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Nothing technically wrong with any of them. I'm not a big fan of Ruger pistols, the couple I have shot did have failures. Now, Ruger is very good about repairs if needed, however, I feel like way too many of their weapons have problems out of the box. I'm also not a fan of how those pistols field strip compared to the Glock.

I own 3 Rugers and yes they suck to field strip, but none of mine have ever had any failures except the 9mm doesn't like aluminum cased ammo and will jam and fail to feed if I use the stuff. Other than that they are great but not as good as Sig.

🔥 Latest posts