• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats your carry gun?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
What made the M1911 so good was it was indestructible. You could bury in a pile of horse crap for a week, take it out, dust it off, and put a thousand rounds through it.
Hmmm....with tight tolerances? Dirt wreaks havoc on those things...

Springs were known to corrode and fail...

The whole design is over complicated and antiquated IMO.

I don't own one, and doubt I ever will

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'd love to have a true vintage P38. Always liked the looks of them.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Hmmm....with tight tolerances? Dirt wreaks havoc on those things...

Springs were known to corrode and fail...

The whole design is over complicated and antiquated IMO.

I don't own one, and doubt I ever will
No tight tolerance in mine. It rattled like a babies rattle.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
The GI Spec 1911s that I have used all were pretty loose.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Well, sure, if you want a clapped out gun...it'll probably still run dirty.

I like John Browning just as much as any other gun lover, but the 1911 has run it's course IMO. The newer pistol designs are simpler and more reliable than the 1911 design. There's really nothing it does that a modern style polymer framed pistol can't do except MAYBE trigger pull and aesthetics. But honestly, trigger pull on a pistol isn't a huge concern for me. It's not a precision instrument, and I don't buy guns to look at them.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Well, sure, if you want a clapped out gun...it'll probably still run dirty.

I like John Browning just as much as any other gun lover, but the 1911 has run it's course IMO. The newer pistol designs are simpler and more reliable than the 1911 design. There's really nothing it does that a modern style polymer framed pistol can't do except MAYBE trigger pull and aesthetics. But honestly, trigger pull on a pistol isn't a huge concern for me. It's not a precision instrument, and I don't buy guns to look at them.
That's all well and good, but the question was what was the best pistol during WWII.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I didn't see the question...this whole 1911 discussion makes a lot more sense now.

I thought subsonic just hollered out '1911 FTW' for no damn reason...since he failed to quote anybody.

In that case, yes, during WWII, the 1911 was probably the best technically designed pistol available. Or the Browning High Power which takes a lot of it's features from the 1911...just originally designed for the 9mm

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
The 1911's do look good however I would never ever recommend one as a 1st gun for anyone and certainly not a Kimber variation. Look that brand up and you will see a lot of really pissed off customers who's pistols don't work correctly and in a lot of cases have serious issues that can't be rectified. Plus for the $$$$ those things cost you could buy 2 Rugers or S&W's.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
I didn't see the question...this whole 1911 discussion makes a lot more sense now.

I thought subsonic just hollered out '1911 FTW' for no damn reason...since he failed to quote anybody.

In that case, yes, during WWII, the 1911 was probably the best technically designed pistol available. Or the Browning High Power which takes a lot of it's features from the 1911...just originally designed for the 9mm

Freakin Millennials. Take some accountability for your actions.

Who the hell would run around hollerin 1911 FTW?

🔥 Latest posts