• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats your job??

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Rockford35 said:
I thought Jesus drove a bus?

All these years i've been believing that.....huh....

:p

R35

No, no, it's a Lexus. You know, the constant persuit of perfection.

I work in the thrill a minute field of real estate and insurance. Actually my wife does most of the insurance business. Where's the big yawn smilie. :p

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
That wasn't the tip you gave me for strong wrists...

LMAO... ya wee cheeky chappie, naw you Scots are strong enough in the wrist dept., yis cannae bend them to put in yer pockets !!

Ya heard aboot the Scottish guy that dropped a pound coin and it hit him on the back of the neck ...;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
goatster said:
i drive a honey wagon for a company that does military bases.

Seriously?

I have a friend that drove one for a summer as a summer job. He worked at this sweet resort that had huge fluxes of population during the day from beach dwellers. In the morning, he'd cut accross the beach to avoid traffic. Most times, there was no one there early in the morning.

One day, when returning back, there was a parade on the main strip and he couldn't get by. And, with a truck load of "honey", he didn't want to sit there for an hour. So, he cut back accross the beach.

People were running after him waving frantically, but he thought they were waving to him. Turns out he hadn't shut the back valve enough and he was sloshing waste all accross the beach, waving to the people....

What an effing dolt.....lol.

Makes for a great visual tho..."Hi everyone!!!" as yesterday's lunch lands on the kids sandcastles... :D

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
DaveE said:
No, no, it's a Lexus. You know, the constant persuit of perfection.

Didn't we have a thread about this someplace? A "What Would Jesus Drive" thread? :D

The guy's a total skater. He'd have a longboard, his sandals and the flowing locks. Striking... :D

R35

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
LMAO... ya wee cheeky chappie, naw you Scots are strong enough in the wrist dept., yis cannae bend them to put in yer pockets !!

Ya heard aboot the Scottish guy that dropped a pound coin and it hit him on the back of the neck ...;)

Awa' and bile yer heid!

This comin' fae Dave "first oot the taxi, last tae the bar" Ireland!

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
I don't work in IT, but we have a large IT Department as we are users of a good number of systems. Was the same in my previous company as well.

Personal experience garnered over 15 years leads me to the conclusion that I hate IT Departments. I am absolutely convinced that IT departments, whatever they tell you, are divided into two sections - night shift and day shift.

The night shift skulk around users PCs and cause problems...tweak with code or wtf they do. Then, when the user comes in the next day - Lo and Behold, the PC doesn't work. So he calls IT. Who come along...say "ooh" and "aaah" a few times, tweak the code back again - Lo and Behold, the PC works again. It's eternal job creation for geeks.

I am also absolutely convinced that IT geeks in reality know very little more than the average PC user - but they charge huge fecking premiums for that extra smidgeon of knowledge. It's a con, possibly the greatest financial con of our age.

And if one more IT geek comes to my desk and says "have you tried turning it off and on?", I swear I'll do time. Bastards. Absolute bastards.

No offence to anyone here, of course!!

p.s. And another thing. If you ask any of these bastards "What went wrong? Let me know and I'll fix it myself the next time." - they won't tell you. They won't fecking tell you. Scum. Con artists. They should be in jail, not earning millions.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Seriously?

I have a friend that drove one for a summer as a summer job. He worked at this sweet resort that had huge fluxes of population during the day from beach dwellers. In the morning, he'd cut accross the beach to avoid traffic. Most times, there was no one there early in the morning.

One day, when returning back, there was a parade on the main strip and he couldn't get by. And, with a truck load of "honey", he didn't want to sit there for an hour. So, he cut back accross the beach.

People were running after him waving frantically, but he thought they were waving to him. Turns out he hadn't shut the back valve enough and he was sloshing waste all accross the beach, waving to the people....

What an effing dolt.....lol.

Makes for a great visual tho..."Hi everyone!!!" as yesterday's lunch lands on the kids sandcastles... :D

R35
lol that is funny. ive never made that mistake but have had the pleasure of getting splashed when some fool opened my valve so when i took off the dust cap. major backlash i did some very creative cursing and throwing of any item near by.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm the corporate engineering metallurgist for a heavy duty transmission company (Twin Disc). If anyone is interested in a metal that will someday "throw the book out" on current metal used search "metallic glass". It's not glass but looks like it. There is a golf club maker using this in their clubs already but I'm not sure who it is.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
There is a huge range of positions within IT.

Support
Development
QA
Sales
Implementation
Information Systems
Networking

The company I work for has thousands of employees that work in these different roles and while there are some incompetencies, most people I know are very successful in their work.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have experienced the phenomenon that KA has so many, many times...I really related to his post.

They will make one change overnight to the network, or firewall or operating system upgrade and you come in the next morning and something's screwed up. And they never, Never tell you in advance that they are going to make some sort of change.

You feel vulnerable.

And I cannot tell you the number of times I have asked them, "Please show me how to do this myself - so I don't have to call you again in the future"...and they won't do it!!

Our company now is tiny...and we are virtual. We have no "office building" with a company network so my environment now is very different. While I Do have a MSCE on staff at my disposal - I really hesitate to call him unless I have tried everything I possibly can - including getting on the MS support website.

It's like some sort of conspiracy.....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Bravo - I can feel your pain. While I work primarily out of our BVT location, I sometimes will take work home with me and tunnel into our company network via VPN. Sometimes the IS guys are doing network maintenance (removing DNS entries etc..) and the tunnel is down. This sucks when code needs to be ready for production and you are at a deadline either developing it or running it thru the QA cycle.

Of course, usually I am just surfing the web anyways :p

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
KA, Bravo... I've worked on many IT teams, from deskside support to LAN/WAN to security, programming-- you name it. It is common practice and the law of most organizations to show the end users pretty much NIL on DIY fixes. This is not for job security, since computers can and do break themselves easily and often. It is because these rules must be issued for the dumbest common denominator. While you guys are obviously keen and sharp on the computer stuff, 98% of your coworkers are NOT. That is 98% of the office that will break their expensive equipment, further kill their productivity, and point their fingers at "that guy" who "told me to do it".

Secondly, 95% of the exchanges between the computer guy and the end user are painful for the computer guy too. They are cases of-- "Right click on that. No, right click. Right. With your right mouse button. The mouse. Yah, that thing on the side of your computer -- no. That's a stapler. Yah. That thing with the cord. Nothing is happening? Did you right click? No. Right click. With the right mouse button. Good. Now left-click on "properties". No. Left click. Left With your left mouse button. Yes sir. I know I said Right-click then, but we are left-clicking now. Nevermind. Where are you sitting?"

This may not be you, but it is almost all of your coworkers. Now, imagine a day of these conversations 5 times a week, 48 weeks a year.

Pray for us.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online