• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

when governments are teh funneh

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
this is one of the best f'in cases I think I've ever seen

When the province of Manitoba (where Mahalleday is from) was confederated (became part of Canada) in 1870, it (the province) had a clause in the enactment that created it stating that all public (government) documents etc would be in both English in French (because Manitoba has a strong French heritage and presence with the metis and what not). This is a "Constitutional" document - meaning that it's a huge pain in the ass to change (think about changing the Bill of Rights or whatever you guys call it in the US) - because it's part of what makes "Canada" as we know it.

Anyhow, in 1890, the wiseguys in the Manitoba legislature decided to get lazy and cheap and enacted a statute making English the official language of the province and so no more legislation had to be printed in French.

Well, in 1985 after a couple of challenges to this by some angry Frenchies (I presume that's what brought it about), the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC is the ultimate court in Canada) found that, yes indeed, that 1870 statute creating Manitoba had significantly more power than any subsequent acts that try to modify the language requirements and therefore trumped the 1890 statute, making it void. Guess what this meant?

That meant that ANYTHING legislated in Manitoba after that enactment in 1890 was invalid and of no force - essentially didn't exist - because it didn't comply with the standards in the 1870 Act. Manitoba's entire legislative scheme (including their provincial legislature, because changes had been made to it since 1890) and government basically didn't exist.

If the SCC wanted to, they could have declared it null on the spot and Manitoba would have had no laws anymore. Instead, they were nice and gave the province two years to fix EVERYTHING they'd done since 1890 legislatively (a LOT to say the least). Ah, good times.

Obviously, since Manitoba doesn't look like a scene out of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, it can be assumed that everything turned out okay (they were able to ask for extensions and what not), but it's still funny. I can just imagine the panic in the Manitoba government when that decision came down.

Am I a huge nerd for finding this funny? Probably, it's just funny cuz it's Manitoba...I mean, we already make fun of them a lot (out of pity, mostly)...but this? Oh, it's too much.

OP
S

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
hah, I'm just surprised that anyone read far enough to actually decide that I'm weird and a nerd

good going!

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I'm a nerd too.
Those two systems, federal and provincial, it's already a pain the neck, with ultimately the federalis having more power than the whole provinces united. And the sponsorship scandal didn't add anything bright to the picture.
The manitobians got it bad. Here in Quebec, we have that french police taking down signs, company names that aren't in french. It's that law 101.
Those french fascists are annoying...

Anyways, long live the queen...

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I enjoyed your post thoroughly.

Manitobans throughout the province should have gone wild...since any/all laws were null and void....

R35 would have been having relations with all sorts of farm animals - with no concern for repercussions.

He would have stolen 68 dozen sets of irons from golf retail outlets.

Wonder what is avatar would look like??

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
FWIW

Dave Ireland will back me up on this, but all legislation in Ireland is dually written in English and Irish. The fact that the Irish language is spoken by a few thousand people in total seems irrelevant. In fact there is a whole side-line business of translators, who work round the clock to translate everything. It's maddening. Now they are looking for it to be included in EU legislation, as decisons in Brussels are translated into French, German, Italian etc. So the taxpayer covers this added cost, to "keep this language alive". Seems like a bunch of bureaucrasy (??) to me.

In fact my brother who is now a Barrister studied in Trinity College Dublin. He had to sit an exam in Irish in order to pass his overall final exams. Given that there were students from US, Canada, Europe etc. who all faced this hurdle it became a running joke. All those who failed had to resit an oral. The oral consisted of a examiner who said "Now repeat after me...". Anyone who even came close passed.

BTW the only Irish I remember from school translates is "I don't know".

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
R35 would have been having relations with all sorts of farm animals - with no concern for repercussions.

He would have stolen 68 dozen sets of irons from golf retail outlets.

Wonder what his avatar would look like??

Who says the laws stopped me? :p

"Free set of Mizuno's with every cow purchased" at R35's Livestock n' Links!

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
rockford35 said:
Who says the laws stopped me? :p

"Free set of Mizuno's with every cow purchased" at R35's Livestock n' Links!

R35
The Mizunos are pretty, but the cow is forgiving... er... The cow is straight but the Mizunos sound better at contact... er... The Mizunos are hard to stick unless the cow, er, green is receptive. The blades can feel harsh if the cow has a high kickpoint...

This could get confusing R.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
The Mizunos are pretty, but the cow is forgiving... er... The cow is straight but the Mizunos sound better at contact... er... The Mizunos are hard to stick unless the cow, er, green is receptive. The blades can feel harsh if the cow has a high kickpoint...

This could get confusing R.

Can we assume you've started taking the pain meds. :p

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
DaveE said:
Can we assume you've started taking the pain meds. :p

I wanna see him swing the cow.

& Sil, I guess it would have made too much sense to just mandate that they provide a French translation of all legislation for that period? Government at its finest. :rolleyes:

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Not a one. Perhaps its the chemicals leeching from the treated splinter finally making it to the brain...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
bdcrowe said:
Not a one. Perhaps its the chemicals leeching from the treated splinter finally making it to the brain...

Good, them save them for November. If we play 36 a day I'll need them for my back, yeah my back. ;)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Great. IG will bring the whiskey, I'll bring the hydrocodone and we'll all test out the Alabama medical facilities. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'll bring some high test Canadian beer. It's always the way to go when it comes to pain.

Swing a cow? I've been "swinging" with cows for ages...

R35

🔥 Latest posts