• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When is a does a fade become a slice?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
What is the point of demarcation? I am finally getting to the point where I have a good idea as to where my irons will land with good contact, and that is always right of where I am aiming. The ball flight does curl right, so there is sidespin involved, what I want to know is this, if I can hit my 9 iron consistently 10 yards right of where I am aiming and land it there is it a slice or a fade? Slice to me means unpredictable, but that's just my take.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
:confused: I think a fade lands in the fairway and doesn't hurt your distance. A slice goes way too far right and you lose alot of distance. That's my interpretation anyway.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A fade is no more than 10 yards in my books. Anything else is a slice. A fade should be a controlled shot, while a slice isn't. Same goes for a hook/draw.

R35

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
BY THE BOOK; a slice is described as a shot that starts straight and bends to the right, because of the spin results in a loss of distance, and a worst loss of accuracy. a fade is a played shot left to right (this all for righties) and doesnt really loose distance too much because its a proper spin. OBVIOUSLY a fade isnt a loss in accuracy because your hitting it where you want to.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
LOL. This had me laughing before I even opened it... and then I saw it was your post Davebud.
icon10.gif
For me a fade becomes a slice when I play it too far forward but that's beside the point.

Basically I'd call it a fade if you do it on purpose, how large a fade is the question. I'll often choose to hit an iron fade when there is a ton of room on the left and the pin is on the right. I want the shot to land and kick sideways, getting me closer. There is nothing wrong with playing the fade just about exclusively. Mine has gotten less consistent/controllable since messing around with the draw too much.

BTW- Your Seahawks kicked my Giants a$$es and you also mopped the floor with me in FFB.
icon9.gif
Thought I might have a chance when Eli scored 23 at the end and I had 2 Patriots to go. NOT!!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
A fade becomes a slice about the same time the ball hits a tree, water, parking lot, some random golfer in another fairway, etc. If it clears the county line, or lands in the back of a red pickup on Sherman Dr. in Denver, it becomes a power fade.

If you were driving said red pickup, it wasn't me. That's my story & I'm sticking to it! :biglol:

OP
Davebud

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah wasn't that great Ezra? Got to love the Hawks, I think it could have been worse but once they got up on them 35-0 they kind of lost their killer instinct, something akin to kicking a corpse.:)

Back to the point at hand, my distance is not affected, I am pretty much between 145-160 on the fly with the 9 iron, I am OK with that, and it will land almost always 8-10 yards right of the point I am aiming so I can account for it and work it into play. I was just wondering since this is the easiest shot for me to hit with consistency, was I playing my "natural" tendency or just working my slice into my game?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
When you end up in the rough, curse, and throw your brand new Titty in the water.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
:confused: I think a fade lands in the fairway and doesn't hurt your distance. A slice goes way too far right and you lose alot of distance. That's my interpretation anyway.
I like the way wbl describes it..

Slice when I'm playing the other fairway.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I think of the way the ball reacts on contact with the ground. A tight fade will dig a bit and hit soft as a baby's butt. Great for distance control into the green. A slice will skip hard right and not hold fairway or green.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I think a fade turns into a slice when you have to talk to your ball and ask it politely to end up in the fairway.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
A fade is what *I* hit, and a slice is what my friends hit when they play identical shots... ;)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
A fade you hit on purpose,a slice you don't.So a fade becomes a slice when you didn't mean to do it.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I figure a fade is something where you can tee from the right side of the tee box and aim down the left side of the fairway, and still end up in the fairway.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.