• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When should I get a membership?

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Question. I just started breaking 100 this summer consistently, shooting 96's throughout August and practicing everyday since I am a teacher and have summers off. I haven't play since the school year started, but try to get out to the range and practice greens as much as I can.

My question is when is a good time to get a membership to a course and start getting your handicap started? I am not even sure how the handicap thing works as I am only really into my third year of serious golf.

Your thoughts please!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
If you can get a membership reasonably, and like the course enough to play it almost exclusively, there's no better way to do it. ESPECIALLY if you live close by. Memberships encourage you and enable you to play a LOT of golf.

If you only play once a week, it's more cost effective, and more fun, to play many different courses.

Memberships have only to do with how much you're going to play, really.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
like SUX said, if you have a course you love to play, a membership will allow you to save quite a bit if you play a lot. i only had to play ~60 rounds to break even, and I played the equivalent of far more than that. i say equivalent because of the best part of being a member: you can jump out and play 3 holes, or skip around and paly your favorites, etc. a lot of my golf last year was 5 or 6 holes at a time playing 2 or 3 balls.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
What they said. If you do decide to join a club, I think it's nice to have access to a quality practice facility. My family belongs at a semi-private club that offers a multi-tier range with five small target greens at varying distances, a chipping green with practice bunker, and a large putting green. We don't practice ferociously, but me, my wife, and my daughter hit hundreds of dollars worth of golf balls last summer if you figure a large bucket at $10.00+-.

If you can find a club whose membership includes those amenities, and you're willing to practice, and it sounds like you are, and maybe take a lesson or three, your game could improve quickly.

Getting a handicap is as easy as turning in your scores. I pay $15 or $20 for the handicap service through the WI State Golf Association and then load my scores in the club computer. Get a free Golf Week subscription to boot. It can also be done online with the WSGA. Your state is probably the same. Wouldn't surprise me if the USGA had an online service, but I don't know for sure.

I would not belong to a club that did not have a range. I'm old, fat, and I need to warm up before I play.

Kevin

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
The best time to join is in the fall. Courses need the cash from new memberships then and are willing to make a deal. At a number of courses near me if you join in September you play for free till April and then your membership runs April to April.

Remember, no matter how snobby the course.....trust me they need you alot more than you need them. That is the position you should negotiate from.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
If you have a nice Muni in your area that you enjoy playing, check into it's rates. A lot of times they're cheaper, and if all you want the place for is playing golf, why spend more than necessary?

We have a family membership at our local muni and it's great. Costs me very little, we can walk for free, ride for $7 I believe it is (can't remember exactly). Very hard deal to beat for just golf.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I started in June and by the end of the following Year I had joined in August to get the rest of that year free when it was offered.

How long you have played is irrelevant on when to join, it is how much you intend to play. You can sign up for a handicap service at the local course for probably around $35 without joining.

If you don't get out that much, and haven't been out in 4-5 months, I'm not sure I see the point. I guess the question is, do you practice because it is cheaper and convenient, or because you like it more than being on the course that time? I go in phases on playing alot of rounds, and practicing on the course. The last year I practiced more than I played even though I belonged to a course. This upcoming year, and because our course owner seems to be disassociating himself with the member base and is only interested with his own financial interests regardless of how it affects the members, it is starting to become apparent I will likely be giving up my membership, and the fact that I started practicing more last year has made the decision easier.

Although I am sure I will end up going back to another course, or possibly this one after it is sold if they do what is necessary, after time. In general you just need to do the math on how many rounds you need to play to pay for the membership, and weigh in the money you could possibly save at say the range by practicing on the course. I mainly practice my short game, so even what I may save on the range is irrelevant. It is just many times nice to know you can go out for a few holes, or nine after work, or go out when there is chance of rain knowing if it starts up you are out nothing.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
If you can get a membership reasonably, and like the course enough to play it almost exclusively, there's no better way to do it. ESPECIALLY if you live close by. Memberships encourage you and enable you to play a LOT of golf.

If you only play once a week, it's more cost effective, and more fun, to play many different courses.

Memberships have only to do with how much you're going to play, really.

What he said! If there is a course you like and it's close, this is the way to go. As far as handicap goes.. it doesn't matter how good or bad you are, it's a great way to track your progress.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Also, you don't need to belong to a club to track your handicap. There are bunch of tracking services on the web. Someone else has to help with links to those, because I use GHIN through the club...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Take what your daily cost is for a round of golf. Weekday and Weekend.

If you normally only play weekends when there is no school, and only get 1 round in every weekend, then add the costs up.. If you like to eat/drink there.. add that up.

Figure out what it'll cost to join. Alot of places here are dropping rates, and/or waiving initiation fees. That can save an easy $200-2000 there off the top end.

If you planning on playing a ton while school is out, as in.. 4 or more rounds a week, then figure the costs.

If you comfortable paying say $300 a month for your membership, plus the food/drink min.(if applicable) and maybe a cart fee if they charge that for your rounds in the school year, where you play 4 times a month, and practice a few times. If it's $50 a round normally, your paying $100 more than you played.

But take that into consideration, if you play $200 worth of "non member" golf when school is out, each week. It's a no brainer that a $300 membership is WELL worth it.

🔥 Latest posts