• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When the wheels fall off....

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Excellent comments! 1.) None of us are good enough to take the game all that seriously. A former basketball coach at our University started each season telling his team this same thing. "None of you are good enough to make the NBA. You need your college education. That MUST be priority. We play this game for fun and for the scholarships that will get you an education." He moved on to another university a couple years ago. His team was in the Final 4 this year. 2.) None of us have the game where we can expect to hit each and every shot pure. It's best to remember the adage "Don't let one bad shot turn into two or three."

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I just like to get immersed in each shot, take into acct. every aspect, and then marry the club and the swing. After that what happens happens, I can live with a bad shot because I know it wasn't a mental mistake. And then it makes it easier to bounce back on the next hole or the next shot.

The other thing is the "aim small miss small" aspect. I know a lot of you guys are shooters, as am I. This was drilled into my head by my grand father when he was teaching me how to shoot trap. But it's been applied to everything in my life, I set my standard high, and I have a small tolerance of failure. Helps me be my best.

The other thing is to keep an empty head of sorts. When I'm on the course I'm almost in a trance, I would seem like a total idiot golf zombie.

But everyone has one of "those days", and as Jerry reed once cooed, "when you're hot, you're hot! But when you're not, you're not.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The other thing is to keep an empty head of sorts. When I'm on the course I'm almost in a trance, I would seem like a total idiot golf zombie.

Word. I've been told plenty of times by teaching pros that many of the best golfers have nothing between their ears. That's why they don't over think or over analyse shots. It's not possible for them.

SirMixALot

Jun 5, 2017
So Cal
Country
Sometimes there's nothing you can do. Take last Monday for example. I couldn't hit a fairway if my life depended on it. It didn't help that it was over 100 degrees, and a gnat flew in my right eye on the 3rd tee, and it bothered me the rest of the day. I shot 90. At least I got to go swimming afterwards.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Word. I've been told plenty of times by teaching pros that many of the best golfers have nothing between their ears. That's why they don't over think or over analyse shots. It's not possible for them.
This is why geezers get better as we age. Dementia creeping in keeps our heads empty......

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
When the wheels fall off; and they always do, I just remind myself that with this swing and this setup, I have hit numerous great shots, some even perfect. I also try to keep perspective. I used to play basketball at a very high level. Shooting a basketball is a lot easier than hitting a golf ball. If I make 4 out of 6 three pointers in a game I'm on fire. If I hit 4 out of 6 good iron shots, for some reason I think that I'm doing something wrong. I never practice. Never took a lesson. And I rarely warn up before playing a round. So what am I expecting? The same I have been doing for 10 plus years, that's what. So I just keep swinging the way I know to, and hope it comes back top me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

🔥 Latest posts