• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When to change golf balls?

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
It's rare that I complete a round with the same ball, but I don't lose much more than 1 or 2 in a round...but my question is:

When should switch to a new ball? My ball gets tons of marks on it throughout one round of golf, even after washing it after each hole. Does this affect performance much? Does anybody attempt to play multiple rounds with the same ball?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Little marks and scrapes won't hurt anything. Big cuts and nicks will definitely screw with the ball flight. I have used a ball for more than one round several times no problem.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I choose when to change balls depending on the conditions. If it is a calm day with little wind then I will keep the ball in play a little longer. If it is high wind conditions or a course that forces you to work the ball around corners then I change it a little sooner, because I start to notice the change in flight characteristics a lot sooner. I know this doesn't really help too much, but you just need to keep watch for when you notice the change in the balls characteristics.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
Do not replace a golf ball that you haven't lost or that isn't badly cut. Because the first thing that will happen is you will shank your next drive OB...when a ball is bahaving good, don't replace it :)

On a more serious note, for 99% of golfers, it makes no difference (up to a point) how worn the ball is. Tour pros who rely a lot on spin might want to replace their ball after a few holes, but other than that, don't bother.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
they don't give them away so i use it as long as i can. something will always come up and it will find its way out of the bag.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
When I can rub my finger over it, and if I feel any large cuts or nicks, I usually will use it for a few more holes, or try and smooth them out a little.

Generally, I lose them before they wear out.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I'll use the same ball for 3 or 4 rounds if it doesn't get damaged. I've got a Pro V1x in my bag right now that's already got 36 holes on it. Still looks good as new.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
Little marks and scrapes won't hurt anything. Big cuts and nicks will definitely screw with the ball flight. I have used a ball for more than one round several times no problem.
:thumbs up:...yep

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Do not replace a golf ball that you haven't lost or that isn't badly cut. Because the first thing that will happen is you will shank your next drive OB...when a ball is bahaving good, don't replace it :)

I had a TP Black last spring that was with me for 9 rounds. It was almost starting to feel like we were related. Dad was over at the house one night and we were talking golf and I showed it to him and told him how long I had been playing it. Obviously it went swimming on hole 4 the next day. :shark:

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
If a ball makes it 18 holes then its retired to my Daughter's bag. She loves playing the ProVs. I also retire them if they get tree or cart path rash. If they want to bounce off trees and cart paths, screw 'em.

I like to start the day with two fresh ProVs in my pocket. I also like it if only one sees action, which happens pretty often. I love the 5, 6, 7, and 8 numbered balls if I can find them. I bought three dozen with those numbers at a golf show last winter, and I still have a bunch left.

Kevin

OP
C

ClemsonQB

Jun 23, 2009
I ask, because I play well enough with balls that I normally find that aren't too bad. I have not bought many brand new balls ever, but love having perfectly clean balls. I need to know how much the balls I use with scuff marks on them to start the round could be hurting my score, and will it be worth it to buy new balls for 20 something bucks.

I am now around a 16 handicap and I usually strike the ball well, although somehow I have developed a pretty harsh draw in my last 2 rounds and have shot back to back 90's. I know the ball doesn't affect my game a whole lot to begin with, but I wonder if I could get more distance or spin on the green with a fresh ball.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
If a ball makes it 18 holes then its retired to my Daughter's bag. She loves playing the ProVs. I also retire them if they get tree or cart path rash. If they want to bounce off trees and cart paths, screw 'em.

I like to start the day with two fresh ProVs in my pocket. I also like it if only one sees action, which happens pretty often. I love the 5, 6, 7, and 8 numbered balls if I can find them. I bought three dozen with those numbers at a golf show last winter, and I still have a bunch left.

Kevin

I was starting to think I was the only one. I start every round with a new golf ball. It has nothing to do with ball performance. If a ball gets scuffed or barked I replace it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.