• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When to get new irons?

Backstroke03

Jun 8, 2009
Hey everyone,

First I want to say that this is a great forum, I've used the search function to the fullest and have picked up a lot of great information.

Here's my scenerio:

I picked up the game about a year ago, and have been playing with a handed down set of irons (they are clones, I believe of the Ping G5). I'm having a great time playing, want to continue to improve, and am starting to think I should invest into better set of irons. I broke 100 on the local course this week for the first time, which is a huge improvement from where I was this time last year :shocked:

I've done a lot of reading on the fitting process, and what sets I should look into (which seems like a whole different conversation, I'm unsure of which clubs to try out as well).

Basically my question is -- for a rookie like me, is it smart to look into new irons? When does a player know that it's time for a change in clubs?

ecooke21

Sep 6, 2006
I would recommend the Adams line of irons.. very forgiving, and come with some easy to hit hybrids.. i am selling a set of A2OS in the for sale section.. even if not interested in mine, check some out at your local golf store..

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Buy new clubs whenever you have extra money, some room on the credit card, or when you can sneak them into the house undetected.

really if you are playing clubs that aren't fit to you it would probably be a good idea to get fit for length, lie, and shaft.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
If you buy a car do you get in and drive it with the seat just where it was?

No

You adjust it to your position and it's exactly the same for irons. You will be able to play ok with standard sets but they won't suit you like a properly fitted set will. For that you ideally want a dynamic fitting and there is no substitute imo.

As for what - a set of cavity backed irons that feel good and suit your eye are the ones. They all make decent irons but what you like is important, so go ahead and hit a few sets. Try the Mizuno MX200s - if they are within your budget you'll have a fabulous set that you can get measured for with a choice of shafts that should last you years. If you like them that is of course. But at least give them a try if you can - they are a terrific.

Buying second hand is far more economical and there are plenty of bargains on this site. If you like the look and feel of your clones then Ping seems a good place to start. But keep your mind open and choose what you feel is the best for you and if you can get some professional advice use it.

Good luck, it should be fun.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
The G5's are pretty forgiving clubs -I built my sister a set of Hireko's Oxygen Type X irons and if they're put together well, they'll play just fine for a while.

Where are you losing the most strokes - if it's off the tee or on/around the greens, start there, and leave the irons alone, they may be just fine for a while. If you are struggling with the irons, then by all means, dump them and move on to another set

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
i'm pretty sure if you keep buying clubs, one of these days you'll come across a set already fit for your swing. :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would spend a few bucks (a lot less than an new set of irons) and buy Wishons - The Search for the Perfect Golf Club.
Amazon.com: The Search for the Perfect Golf Club: Tom W. Wishon, Tom Grundner: Books

I wish I had done the same before buying a new set prior to knowing what I really needed. Looking back it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made getting a really good set and even getting fitted when I didn't really know enough. I would have been better suited with my old set, and personally for the reasons I did not like the new set I could in no way blame the fitter but only myself.

Try and understand how all the aspects of club design relates to your game then find a competent person to fit you for what you want.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Yes, new irons that are fitted will be a huge benefit. As a beginner, go to www.golfdigest.com or www.golf.com and check out the equipment sections. You will see reviews of all the clubs. Look for the ones rated "game improvement". See what looks good to you. The technology of these sticks is basically identical. The most critical component of a fitting IMO is determining what shaft is best for your swing. It is the shaft that will allow you to get the most out of your swing. Good luck on your search.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.